child seat recommendations

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

23e Heure
I used to have a life, then came DDK

child seat recommendations

Post by 23e Heure »

Looking to buy a seat for my 12 month old daughter.

I just bought a new quality isofix seat for the back of the Audi - and this is where she does 99% of her road miles.
Problem is that this seat only works with a specific isofix base, which lives in the Audi.

So what I'm looking for is a 'spare' seat to use in other cars, that uses the 'secured by seatbelt' method rather than isofix.
Not just for the backseat of friends and family cars, but also good to go in the front, next to me in the 911.

Anyone got experience of seats which fit well in early 911 recaro sports seats or - even better - know of suitable clean second hand seat going spare?

Her 'up to 12months' seat was ideal for a time, but not only has she now outgrown it, but I think she also would prefer to see where we are going :wink:

James
'87 R4 GTL Clan
'74 914/6 3.0 Texas GT
'73 911 2.7 RS Replica LHD
'72 911 2.4 E RHD (Sold)
Nige
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: child seat recommendations

Post by Nige »

Almost any non-isofix will fit up front, just go to your local Mothercare and try a few out making sure it fits snug and the seat belt has enough length to secure it. It starts getting more difficult if you want one to fit the back seats to the point we just didn't bother, after a they're about three they fit the back seats anyway or on a booster.

Eitherway we used a Brittax Evolva, didn't fit the back seats in the 911 but was fine up front and fitted every other car he travelled in. We still use it now, although the booster seats sees quite a bit of action.
TheEasyLife
I luv DDK!

Post by TheEasyLife »

James,

I can't help you at the minute but you are 2 months ahead of us and I have the same problem so I'm an interested in the solution to this.

I also think trying them out at Mothercare is a good idea. They were dead helpful when we last had a fitting (then bought for lots less from Kiddicare).

HTH

James
1979 SC Targa - Long term project - in storage - purchased 10/16 - last looked at it in 08/18..
Fascinated with 911 seats and induction systems!

Previously
1973 911T in Gulf Blue (with 2.4E ITB's, EFI and EDIS) - from 07 till 16. Sorely missed.
niels
DDK Fanatic

Post by niels »

I've used Romer and Maxi Cosi Tobi (or something). It is basically not that difficult to choose. You have to go to the store and for the proper safe brands look at the finishing of the back of the seat. Some Maxi cosi seats are even for normal cars not ok for the leather. Most Romers are almost flat and gentle to use. My son drives around with me since he was 1,5 years (he now is almost six). He really enjoys it, my daughter prefers the Bertone, but also in this car no issue.
911 2.4 E 1972
Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

hi

the important thing for me was to get a car seat that fitted in the back of the early 911's - albeit a bit tight.

I found that these : Bebe confort fitted nicely provided you have a 3 point harness in the back. ( which I had put in ) - the base is slightly raised so actually sits in the bucket of the 911 seat.

my children are now 5 so are in booster seats and out of these. I have two up for grabs - I think I offered them to people before but never got round to posting them, and the people were too polite to remind me.

I have to be honest, postage will be a killer - but I have two( as I had twins ) that are taking up space. I dont want any money for them (but a donation to the DDK charity would be a nice thought.) - I can confirm that they are both clean but a bit dusty and neither of them have been in an accident ( which is the important thing and why you shouldnt buy one second hand, apparently )

I'm in deepest darkest kent ( near Folkestone ) so if you want to pop down and pick one up I'm more than happy to oogle at your car and provide you with a bacon sandwich and a cup of tea.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=Bebe+c ... x=38&ty=84

the only negative I can see is that they are beige ( yep, I know ) - they're definitely not isofix either
Neill W
DDK Fanatic

Post by Neill W »

No help to you right now, but as she gets older, a Recaro is a good choice. Both of my sons had one from around three years, I recall. It's a lap and diagonal booster type, but made by Recaro, it's an alloy frame and adjusted every which way. Back in 1998, it was £170. But I figured that iff the difference between being hurt or walking away from a big shunt was £100, it was a no-brainer.

Neill W
Neill Watson
http://www.neillwatson.com
Gone but never forgotten - '79 4 speed 930 Turbo
Hibernating - '89 Toyota Landcruiser FJ62
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

Hi James

I have used a Porsche Prince seat successfully in the back of a 911 and in the bucket seats in more modern 911s. The base is narrow and fits well and the seat is secured by the seat belt.

My son is now 6 so has out grown it and uses a booster type seat. The seat is in immaculate condition and comes with the air bag de-activation attachment that is useful for newer cars. You are very welcome to try it (I live in West London) and see if it is suitable for your car / seat.

Regards
The force is strong in this one ......
sisu
DDK forever

Post by sisu »

I would recommend the Recaro Young Sport they are well made but more importantly - They are narrower than the Britax and Maxi-Cosi and fit better in most cars. I can fit in a backseat of a A4 with 2 of these. The best thing is that they have pads you can remove as they get older, they can also use the 3 point seatbelt and use this as a booster seat. Once she can hold up her head well enough weight range is 9-38kg or 9months-12 years. So you will get the miles out of it.
more details here
Scene tax