O. T. B&W Zeppelin

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

mycar
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

O. T. B&W Zeppelin

Post by mycar »

I packed my Hi Fi this morning and there`s a good chance it won`t see the light of day for months to come. :(

Looking on the bright side, I now have the perfect excuse to buy a Zeppelin ipod dock by Bowers and Wilkins....

but before I do, does any body use one ? Have you been happy with it ??

Thanks, Mike.
Tosh
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Re: O. T. B&W Zeppelin

Post by Tosh »

Had one in a hotel room I stayed in last week. Put out an excellent sound, really good and I'd say fuller than the Bose sounddock (which I love). But I couldn't turn it down!
02 986 Boxster
68 T Sporto (sold)
91 964 C2 Tip (sold)
markm
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by markm »

I have one in my bedroom, and for what it is the sound is good.
72 2.4s
96 993 RS
Series 1 DDK membership card
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

im always really impressed with the zeppelin whenever i come across one, however i haven't come up with a good enough excuse to buy one yet.. i think there's a new version out now too with wifi / streaming built in?

i have a set of B&W speakers for my main hifi, and they're fantastic; very happy with every aspect of them. really good company all round in my opinion; i will definitely buy their stuff again
Ferry Man

Post by Ferry Man »

My lad has one. He's had it a few years now. Currently broken (but their aftercare seems pretty good so far, hopefully fixed soon).
They're soildly built, real heavy. Punches out a fair bit of sound. :)
Paul

'74 Porsche 911 Carrera 2.7 (MFI) - Lime Green
'94 Porsche 911 Carrera 2 (993) - Mexico Blue
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Just to throw a curve ball in my kids have one of these in the playroom:

Sony iPod dock

...and it really is rather good and less than a tenth of the price... :)

I appreciate it's not a pretty shape, but I'm sure a man of your skills could stick a couple of trimmed rugby balls to it :lol:
stuj76
DDK addict

Post by stuj76 »

I have one of these, I bought it for the same reason as yourself. Previous to this I had the Bose, personally I found the B&W superior in sound quality, like your hi-fi speakers, placement is key. I have enjoyed mine so much I also bought the Zeplin Mini for the kitchen, but it was a toss up between this and the Vita. Again I find the placement of the Zeplin Mini key, not too close to a wall and the bass is very good.

S
1974 - 914 6 conversion
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

I have one. Very nice. I can get them (and other nice HiFi) kit from a Hifi shop in Bath that I have an interest in. Can do some disount too! If it's of interest, let me know.
Graham
satan
DDK above all

Post by satan »

I have the Zeppelin Air, which is excellent. Hooks up to your iTunes library via Wi-Fi, install the Remote App on your iPhone and you have full wireless remote control. No need to dock your iPod/iPhone unless you want to.

Sound quality is very good, I'd recommend them.
1971 911e
Mr Pharmacist

Post by Mr Pharmacist »

Or try apple an airport express that connects wirelessly to iTunes an
d you can plug any speakers you like into it.

A refurbed one from apple is about £60. I've got 4 round my house. Work flawlessly....
Stuart

1970 914 2056cc
1979 924 n/a - RIP
1986 924S
1969 912 Targa - sold
dugsud
Married to the DDK

Post by dugsud »

What about JBL Mike? I wanted a dock for the bedroom but didn't want to pay B&W money so after a bit of research I went for a JBL Radial and I must say I'm impressed with the sound quality. The remote is a bit fiddly but that's about it really...they RRP for £199 but Comet have them on offer for £130! I listened to it in comparison to the Zeppelin and it was too close to call!

Doug Sudron
83' 911SC
Triumph Tiger 1050
mycar

Post by mycar »

Morning all and thanks for getting back to me, apologies for not replying sooner. We`re right in the middle of moving, putting everything we own into storage, and whilst music seemed important 10 days ago, it`s rather dropped of the bottom of the `things to think about list`. :)

As has been mentioned, it seems the original Zeppelin has been superseded by the Zeppelin Air and whilst you can still buy the original version on Ebay for £300 ish, there are many reports of malfuntion, so prehaps it`s better to fork out the £500 for the Air... and a guarantee.

Alternatively this caught my eye, no batteries, no plug.... grim sound ??? But hey, I`ve got a horn just like this.... and probably a block of wood somewhere. Watch this space. :wink:

Or ipad. :)

http://www.cultofmac.com/112109/merge-n ... -required/

Mike.
Mr Pharmacist

Post by Mr Pharmacist »

That is very cool. Though the sound will definitely be crap! Make it and then put a connector in the base to link the ipod to a proper pair of speakers that are hidden elsewhere, so it looks cool and sound good 8)
Stuart

1970 914 2056cc
1979 924 n/a - RIP
1986 924S
1969 912 Targa - sold
abzadams
DDK rules my life!

Post by abzadams »

Mike,
Have you looked at the recent Monitor Audio IDECK200? Just hit the shops and apparently very, very good, designing totally around getting the best sound.
Rich

Sepia 72 2.5T/E (gone)
2004 996 Turbo
mycar

Post by mycar »

Mr Pharmacist wrote:That is very cool. Though the sound will definitely be crap!
:lol: Well, the sound is decidedly mono but suprisingly good.... it`s a conversation piece. :)

In the end though, I did go for the Zeppelin Air and am really impressed, it really does sound excellent.

Given a few more bob though, I might have gone for this.......

Can you spot the ipod ? :shock:

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/12/07/behringe ... -you-know/

Thanks all, Mike.