Unidentified plastic bung found loose in LH of engine bay!

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

neilmcd
DDK Fanatic

Unidentified plastic bung found loose in LH of engine bay!

Post by neilmcd »

Folks,

Firstly apologies as I haven't cracked posting pictures on the site. I have pictures, just haven't got the appropriate online account (I'm of an age where emailing is enough of a challenge!!)

Cleaning my engine this afternoon I discovered a "top hat" plastic blanking plug lying loose on top of the tinware next to the left hand (looking forward) bank of cylinders, near the spark plugs. It looks like it should plug a hole of circa 20mm diameter, is 10mm deep and the "brim" of the top hat is 28mm diameter. The rim of the plug is knurled slightly, so it looks to me like it's designed to be removed for access to something. Made of translucent soft-ish sepia brown plastic.

Any ideas? I've surfed here looking for "blanking plug" and on Pelican parts but no joy. I'm thinking airbox or fuel injection pump but a grope around the engine bay didn't produce any likely holes!!

Thanks

Neil
1971 E

Gone but not forgotten...
1965 Elan S2
stuby
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: Unidentified plastic bung found loose in LH of engine ba

Post by stuby »

There are some blanking plugs that fit into the body inner panels in various places around the car - and if I recall there may be a couple in the underside of the engine lid ?/
HTH
Stu
Don't shoot the messenger....He's only doing his job!
neilmcd
DDK Fanatic

Re: Unidentified plastic bung found loose in LH of engine ba

Post by neilmcd »

Thanks Stu.

That makes me feel a bit better. I've been looking on the engine/airbox/fuel pump. I'll look elsewhere now.

As an aside I've emailed the photos of the bung to my 19 year-old son whose response was "Dad - how do you expect to get help if you can't sort this out?"

Hope to post them soon just to prove I can!!!!

Neil
1971 E

Gone but not forgotten...
1965 Elan S2