Gear Knobs

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

waltham wanderer
DDK Fanatic

Gear Knobs

Post by waltham wanderer »

Hi All

Just managed to pull off the gear knob - but worse - some of the lower plastic has split off the knob so it flops about and is almost useless.

I doubt I'm the first [ or will be the last ] to do it - anyone any replacement ideas.
I've seen replacements from US [ AutoAtlanta etc. ] for $75 plus P/P etc., and for £95 plus p/p on ebay.

I'm not up for paying these ludicrous prices and would be happy to fit a non Porsche product if I had to.

Thanks

Steve
Steve

1972 - 911T ,Silver
1987 - 924 S Le Mans ,Black
2011 - 997 911GTS Cabriolet ,White
Mr Pharmacist
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Mr Pharmacist »

They are about that for a new one - you might get a second hand one a bit cheaper.

i got one from 914rubber.com during one of his group buys - $50 iirc. Its very nice quality.

unfortunately i will be using it on my 914 unless i can get my hand on one of these 917 style knobs. if i do you can have it for what it cost me!

http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewto ... ight=balsa
Stuart

1970 914 2056cc
1979 924 n/a - RIP
1986 924S
1969 912 Targa - sold
914 KEV
DDK rules my life!

Re: Gear Knobs

Post by 914 KEV »

waltham wanderer wrote:Just managed to pull off the gear knob - but worse - some of the lower plastic has split off the knob so it flops about and is almost useless.
In my experience when the lower plastic spits off the knob it should not slop around, just uncomfortable to grip.

It sounds like the gear lever has not gone through the inner crush sleeve.

Remove the crush sleeve with a screw-driver then place on the end of the lever, place the remains of the gear-knob on the gearlever and twist down.

This will make it easier to drive while you find an replacement.

Secondhand gear knobs are out there, not always that cheap though.

Just look at some after-market gear knobs from Momo etc and some cost far more than an original type from Porsche. :shock:
914 Daily driver since 1990
MikeH
DDK above all

Post by MikeH »

Mine has a couple of layers of gaffer tape on the end of the lever - cut down to the right width. The gear lever is nice and snug for now.

Quality bodging!
'77 Carrera 3.0 - SOLD
'72 914 3.0
defianty
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by defianty »

MikeH wrote:Mine has a couple of layers of gaffer tape on the end of the lever - cut down to the right width. The gear lever is nice and snug for now.

Quality bodging!
I used the same tried and tested method! :lol:
Stephen

1973 914 3.0 GT Build Progress
1974 TR6

914 Rear Alignment Shims
914 KEV
DDK rules my life!

Post by 914 KEV »

MikeH wrote:Mine has a couple of layers of gaffer tape on the end of the lever - cut down to the right width. The gear lever is nice and snug for now.

Quality bodging!
defianty wrote:I used the same tried and tested method! :lol:
Been there in the past, but found it works it's self loose, can't beat the correct part properly fitted.

It sounds like quite a few 914's are missing the gear-knob inner crush sleeve or it's not engaging.

For those who would like to replace their tape bodge with the correct part, the part number is 999 532 001 00

For those who don't know what it looks like, here is a photo.

914 Daily driver since 1990
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Bruce M »

Could you repair it with epoxy glue (if you have the broken piece) and can of matt black paint?

At least until a replacement is sourced.

What ever you do, don't bin it :)
veltror
DDK above all

Post by veltror »

914rubber do these I have one Mark sent me if you want a pcture let me know...
I have no smiles I shed no tears,
In an eternity of pain I have no peers.
mikey914-Rubber guy
DDK Newbie

Post by mikey914-Rubber guy »

As far as the repair goes, if the crack is small, try a dab of superglue gel on the inside while you have it wrapped in shrink wrap. Should work in a few minutes. The problem is that with the crush washer installed you will probably split it again. I have used a drop or two of 1 minute epoxy on the inside of the knob about 1" in. This has worked well and you can break it free if you need to later (as long as you don't use too much).

Thanks for the props - Veltror / Mr Pharmacist

I'm not sure what the etiquette is but i would be willing to to a group buy if there was interest. Perhaps ship to one address to save a fortune in shipping cost.