How to remove the door without Special tools

An archive of any Porsche 911 technical threads

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

MT
DDK rules my life!

How to remove the door without Special tools

Post by MT »

.... well this is how I did it, and to be fair it only works if you have removed the wing and outer sill.

1. With the door closed (and the wing removed) use a thin brass drift on the top pin to get it level with the hinge top - brass to be sure you don't 'swell' the top of the pin as you hit it.

2. Use same brass drift to do the same with the bottom pin, this time with the door open (as I said the inner sill was off for replacement)

3. Using a thin steel drift smaller than the pin tap the pins out - bottom one first.

4. You will need a long thin drift with an edge on it (I used an old blunt screwdriver blade) to use the head of the top pin to get the top pin out as the angle prevents the steel drift doing more than the first 1/2" of the removal

et voila as Del Boy would say

IanMcLeod
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanMcLeod »

FYI I did it recently on my car with the wings and sills on. Undid the check strap so the door could be opened as wide as possible and used a thin cold chisel with the point flatted off and it was pretty easy. The difference is I used it against the underside of the head (so the other end of the pin to the way you did it). That way you have no danger of splaying the end of the pin that has to then pass through the bush.

Ian.
A sponge and a rusty spanner

2.4E RHD, 2.4E RHD, 993 Carrera RHD