Fitting an 050 Distributor

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

FraserMurray

Fitting an 050 Distributor

Post by FraserMurray »

How easy is it to fit an 050 distributor? Is it idiot proof (if I'm gonna do it myself it probably has to be totally idiot proof!) or should I get someone who knows what they're doing to do it?

F
Fraser Murray
1965 912

fraser@ddk-online.com
cubist
The Fenland Feltcher

Post by cubist »

Fraser, if you've set your own points before and are ok with loosening and adjusting the distributor body then it is virtually Fraser-proof. Just be sure to mesh/seat the drive properly and the rest is plain sailing...
FraserMurray

Post by FraserMurray »

answering no to the first part of that is leading me to believe that this may not be Fraser proof!
Fraser Murray
1965 912

fraser@ddk-online.com
cubist
The Fenland Feltcher

Post by cubist »

As Clint said: 'A mans gotta know his limitations'...

It should only take half an hour of your nearest 356/912-friendly mechanics time to bolt in and reset your timing... so should be quite cheap and you'll certainly feel the benefits when its in!

Good luck
Dimitri
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Dimitri »

a cheap Gunsons timing light comes in handy for this - a bit of Tipex or white paint on the timing mark of the fan belt pulley (crankshaft)

and an idea of the timing setting (degrees before/after top dead centre TDC)

BUT....

at least to start with mark where your current distributor position is by a common point on both the old dissy and new dissy body - i.e the welding seams on the side of the body - mark where this is pointing on the engine with a small scrath or paint dab, and fit the new one in as nearly the same position as you can - then set the points gap (to set, take off the black cap and rotor arm, and ensure the cam profile is fully opening the points at their maximum opening (may need to engage second gear and give the car a shove forward until it is so -on level ground ;)) and adjust accordingly the gap so it just resists against the appropriate size of feeler guage (.40mm or .016inch) when you try and slide the feeler in and out between the points.

hope this helps
Dimitri - 67 LHD 912 - get your metal out in the rain and use it - DDK No: 1129