Need get back into a Porsche

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

abhoyroo
DDK Fanatic

Need get back into a Porsche

Post by abhoyroo »

I want to start by saying that since I sold my lovely 1973 2.4 15 months ago I was keep busy with the birth of our 1st child Chloe, but now that our lives have settle I feel that I need to get another Porsche, but unfortunately it will not be a classic since my wife did not like the fact that it had no airbags and plus with the baby I too would prefer a more structurally advance car. Anyway I need advice the only place I know with friendly impartial advice is on this forum. I understand that some people have taken advantage of this forum and have been banned well all I can say is that having meet number of you during various show, I hope that camaraderie has not been damaged, but moving on the real issues that I need advice:
I am looking at buying a 997 C2S(2005) tiptronic or for same or maybe bit cheaper 996 C4S tiptronic and finally 996 Turbo tiptronic S
So my question is which would be the best to own and what sort of issues can be found with 996 in particular the Turbo model.

Thanks

Adam 1973 911T (gone) :crybaby:
Helen
Events Organiser

Re: Need get back into a Porsche

Post by Helen »

abhoyroo wrote:I want to start by saying that since I sold my lovely 1973 2.4 15 months ago I was keep busy with the birth of our 1st child Chloe, but now that our lives have settle I feel that I need to get another Porsche, but unfortunately it will not be a classic since my wife did not like the fact that it had no airbags and plus with the baby I too would prefer a more structurally advance car. Anyway I need advice the only place I know with friendly impartial advice is on this forum. I understand that some people have taken advantage of this forum and have been banned well all I can say is that having meet number of you during various show, I hope that camaraderie has not been damaged, but moving on the real issues that I need advice:
I am looking at buying a 997 C2S(2005) tiptronic or for same or maybe bit cheaper 996 C4S tiptronic and finally 996 Turbo tiptronic S
So my question is which would be the best to own and what sort of issues can be found with 996 in particular the Turbo model.

Thanks

Adam 1973 911T (gone) :crybaby:
Hi Adam, with Baby/safety/budget in mind out of the choice you've given i'd go for a 996C4 unless you can stretch to a 997 with PDK instead of Tiptronic as it's a far better gear change.
member#1182
Currently Porscheless but on the look out for my 30th
Berny
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Berny »

I have never been very keen on tiptronic but the PDK is fantastic if you can strech to the extra cost. Berny.
1971 Targa Sportomatic in Green 1972 2.4e sunroof coupe 1990 964 C2 Member no 82
abhoyroo
DDK Fanatic

Post by abhoyroo »

Thanks Helen & Berny for your replies I don't think that the budget all stretch to a 997 with PDK but I will look and test drive a 996 C4s and 997 c2s but I an still intrigued with the idea of an 996 turbo neither of you talk about this option are there unreliability issues any problems with them.

Thanks Adam
210bhp
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 210bhp »

Adam
996 turbo is a great car. The engine is not the same as the normal carrera engine which, in it's early years, suffered failures which gave the 996 a bad name. Main oil seal failure is the thing you will read about mostly. The turbo and the gt3 are different engine block derived from the gt1 and more robust. It's a pleasure to drive at low speeds and a really good continental cruiser. It can shift and still returns me about 27 mpg on a long run. The clutch and gear change is a delight, very light, and comfortable without being too harsh in the suspension. The thrills are quite different to an early car. Let me know if you want to know anything more specific.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
pmjt

Post by pmjt »

abhoyroo wrote:I an still intrigued with the idea of an 996 turbo neither of you talk about this option are there unreliability issues any problems with them.
Then I'll chip in :-) I had two 996 Turbos and, as Mike describes, they are crushingly powerful point to point cars - you can cover ground unlike any earlier 911. The low end pick up from 20mph to 70mph is brutal. To reiterate Mike's point, the engine is derived from the 964 -> GT1 -> GT3 etc. and is a very different design.

996TT's are silly billy bargains right now - with 997TT's falling off the cliff in value, the 996's are coming down accordingly.

With 4wd they're incredibly competent - I've driven them at speed on ice and snow and their ability is exceptional. The PSM ability is fun to demonstrate (off road in a safe place :wink:) and very good.

So yes, I'd give the 996TT a very big vote of confidence. Ian Donkin on here has also owned one and covered a few miles in it - he's another advocate for them.

Best of luck.

Philip
--
DDK Member #890
Johnny Graham
DDK addict

Post by Johnny Graham »

996TT is definitely on my list for when I eventually return to the 911 fold, but I havent driven one yet.

The useability, value, 4wd, power and lack of normal 996 issues (ok and the turbo badge) are pretty compelling ammunition against the typical Mk1 GT3 thoughts..

For me the nagging issue would be the question about the 'cruiser' bias that some people describe, but maybe this isnt borne out by you guys that know them well, or if so maybe they can be sharpened up with suspension and geometry changes?

Edit - and a quick check on PH finds one in the teens! 100k miles, but FPSH..
Cheers, Johnny

'89 Carrera 4, '65 356C, '99 Maserati 3200GT
Winter hack: '92 Hilux Smurf
Wife's: '99 E320CDI estate
Awaiting fettlement: '83 w123 280E, '84 2CV6.
crisc204
DDK slapper chatter

Post by crisc204 »

totally respect your decision ruling out early cars for the little one because of the age of the early 911 but read on.
I bought an old (98') Mercedes for the same reasons when our niece was born I knew her mum and baby Ria would be with us alot and chose to buy something bigger upgrading from an older euro hatchback (which i was quite happy in btw)

what's my point?
I'd like to mention the early 911 is an amazingly strong monocoque chassis, if that's your only concern. Airbags are of no help as your meant to turn them off if the young'uns in the seat! I would have no issues putting any of friends and family's kiddies in my 911 providing we have the correct fitting seat for them.
for example a later 3.2 carrera has internal door strengthening bars and proper 3 point belts front and back in UK spec very strong and the passenger cell is well covered

it is however, not at all practical for a pushchair plus baby bags just not big enough! I did pack my dads 911 full of baby junk once to check it would fit but then i found i could bring the baby or her mum. so me and a 3 year old Ria went off to the farm in style in "the racing car" as Ria called it and mum and my G/F followed in another car

The little monster now 6 has reserved her seat in my 911 and helped chose the colour! apparently in lightweight trim we have nowhere for my G/F to sit though haha
abhoyroo
DDK Fanatic

Post by abhoyroo »

Thanks for all the replies I am getting more and interested in the 996 TT and I think that I may have found something to look at. But before I go jumping in with my size 10 I would like some help from 996TT owners I know that I should be mindfull with buying a supercar but I wanted to get a feel at general running cost I mean do I need to take out a mortgage for every service !! and what are the weak point that I need to consider. For example having the x50 pack I know that more power is good but it also puts additional stress on components.

Adam
Ian Donkin
DDK rules my life!

Post by Ian Donkin »

pmjt wrote:Ian Donkin on here has also owned one and covered a few miles in it - he's another advocate for them.
Yes I am! I used mine as a daily drive for 19,000 miles in no time (and no time ;-)) at all - a brilliant and exceptionally capable car your granny could drive IMHO. And don't be scared off by miles - they are a pretty strong proposition reliability wise and not even that hard to service.

Not too sure about space for the +1 however at such a young age - that's why I sold mine!
2006 RHD 997 Carrera (but DDK remains in my heart - also now no longer)
1972 LHD 2.4T with '73 2.4T CIS motor - gone to a new DDK home
1994 RHD 993 Carrera - gone!
1968 LHD 911L - was the Wife's but now in new hands :-(

210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

Adam
Just an example of servicing costs down nearer to you.

http://www.jzmachtech.com/shells/servic ... &year=2002

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
Johnny Graham
DDK addict

Post by Johnny Graham »

So, Mike/Philip/Ian - are 996 turbos chuckable? Or are they more millenium falcon than TIE-fighter?
Cheers, Johnny

'89 Carrera 4, '65 356C, '99 Maserati 3200GT
Winter hack: '92 Hilux Smurf
Wife's: '99 E320CDI estate
Awaiting fettlement: '83 w123 280E, '84 2CV6.
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

crisc204 wrote:...I'd like to mention the early 911 is an amazingly strong monocoque chassis, if that's your only concern. Airbags are of no help as your meant to turn them off if the young'uns in the seat! I would have no issues putting any of friends and family's kiddies in my 911 providing we have the correct fitting seat for them.
for example a later 3.2 carrera has internal door strengthening bars and proper 3 point belts front and back in UK spec very strong and the passenger cell is well covered
Whilst I also put the full family in my old rusty 911, if it bothers you then go for a 996 or later.

They are in a different league with regard to structural performance. Early 911s are all mild steel and I've yet to find the part that is supposed to absorb any energy between the front bumper and your knees (other than the fuel tank :shock:) ;)

Not to mention you might have more chance stopping or steering around an accident in a later car.

...but having said all that, the later ones aren't early ones are they :)
abhoyroo
DDK Fanatic

Post by abhoyroo »

Thanks all for the advice, on Saturday depending on the weather I am hoping to look a 996TT from Porticraft really looking forward to nice test drive but I must keep my head and focus and just fall for the first car I see !!!
Note to self
1. So no stupid grins when accelerating hard
2. No shouts when accelerating hard again since not allowed to grin

I will stay focus. :wink:
Adam
1973 911T
pmjt

Post by pmjt »

Johnny Graham wrote:So, Mike/Philip/Ian - are 996 turbos chuckable? Or are they more millenium falcon than TIE-fighter?
Tie fighter without a doubt. Yes it's a 4wd car so if you're wanting to drift it you have to work VERY hard :lol: but point to point across a country road, it's a very nimble thing. A GT3 is more nimble, yes - but much harder work on the long runs.

I also did about 20,000 miles in each of the 996TT I had and they cover ground like nothing else. It's a joy to get into a car to drive home after a long day, that will let you dawdle home listening to the stereo. Then the next second go from 40 to 70 in two seconds :lol:

HTH

P
--
DDK Member #890