IVA thread

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

sprintstar67
DDK above all

Post by sprintstar67 »

What about emissions??
I understand that cars now going through the IVA have to pass Euro 4 emissions and that this is quite difficult with an aircooled motor?

Thoughts please??!!
'62 Bug Karmann Cabrio (the GCC car)
'67 Bug
'99 Mexican Bug
'67 Split Crew Cab
'76 MGB Roadster
'90 MX5
'79 911 SC Targa
'72 Fiat 124 Spider
'73 Eriba Familia
'03 Chesil Speedster
'03 BMW 330D Touring
'97 Disco
mdmax72
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by mdmax72 »

If you can prove your using the donor vehicle engine, ie logbook with matching engine number you are excluded from the emissions. That was my experiance unless its changed again. If you cant prove the engine age then you have to comply with the current emission tests and fit a Cat. Theres plenty of engine number manufacturer dates on the web that you can I.D an engine from production years. Or best to buy a published book and take that along with you for proof of year it was made, cant really argue with that but then again...
Rich

DDK Member 0547

Evolving Speedster Build ;-)
bonerp
DDK slapper chatter

Post by bonerp »

couple of additional points -

the fuel take must be tethered if the key for the cap is different to the ignition key. Stupid I know but thats what I needed...

The screws for the headlamp adjustment need covering - they didn't like the profile...

The ns mirror needs convex glass

Seat belt upper pivot mount - space between body and frame needed packing (with washers).

Self centering steering was almost non existent - used torsion beam spacers in the bottom beam on the front of the car. EMPI ones available with longer bolts £20 ish from GSF. Sorted.

Make sure the steering wheel is suitably padded

Make sure the seats cannot foul the seat belt when slid back to its furthest position - for example put a stop bolt in the runner

front wheels were too close to the brake caliper (even though used VW wheels!) so 3mm spacer fitted

Fog came on with main beam and shouldnt - only to come on with dipped.

Arches caught the wheel under cornering - trimmed back slightly.

Exhaust too noisy so packed more heavily. Sorted.

That just about covers my fail points.

For anyone who wants them, I will provided the steering wheel that passed, and the rear fog and reversing lights, and exterior mirrors and interior mirror (dash mounted), and exhaust for anyone that wants to borrow them for testing. May as well utilise them for all future builders on this forum.
Last edited by bonerp on Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Built a Pilgrim Speedster...only down one kidney

My build: https://sites.google.com/site/bonerp356/home

http://www.Speedsterclinic.co.uk

Now for sale! Next project looms...
bonerp
DDK slapper chatter

Post by bonerp »

sprintstar67 wrote:What about emissions??
I understand that cars now going through the IVA have to pass Euro 4 emissions and that this is quite difficult with an aircooled motor?

Thoughts please??!!
As Rich says. No problems with mine. Isn't that just for fuel injected / non standard cars??
Built a Pilgrim Speedster...only down one kidney

My build: https://sites.google.com/site/bonerp356/home

http://www.Speedsterclinic.co.uk

Now for sale! Next project looms...
beanpoleuk
DDK Newbie

Re: IVA thread

Post by beanpoleuk »

Hi,

I can also confirm exempt from emissions test, which is a good thing as I had a couple of 'db killers' stuffed up the tailpipe so they would never have got the probe up there !

I also had to make sure ALL the heating system for the beetle was removed, i.e the tubes from the heat exchanger to the Body heat tubes, even if the levers inside were not connected

Steve
Chesil Speedster- www.softstar.co.uk
H-G
DDK addict

Post by H-G »

Afternoon All,

I notice that this thread hasn't been added to for a while and wondered how up to date the advice is? I've just got my replica back from having the body bonded and have scanned through the IVA inspection manual and wondered how people were getting around some of the major points:

- External fuel filler; I see no filler flaps on any pics of completed replica build bodies.
- Windscreen demisting; while the IVA doesn't prevent using the beetle heat exchangers for window demisting, it does indicate that this cannot be used for general heating so I am assuming that they cannot be used by default.
- Seats; as it would appear that headrests are required.

I'm sure that there will be more IVA 'poo traps' but would like to try and engineer them out as part of the build.

Would I be right in thinking that it would be best to build, IVA and then get the car sprayed so that any 'temporary' alterations can be rectified before paint?

Thanks in advance.
mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

Welcome here H-G

The list covers the main areas you need to cover but as every build is slightly different you need to do a little research or ask on here and it will be answered.

The fuel filler must be outside the luggage area as of 2011. Through the bonnet filler will not be allowed either so it's got to go in the wing. Watch Gregs thread has he still needs to do this and see what he comes up with for some inspiration.

As for the de-mister you have a few options but as you stated you cannot use the heat exchangers as a source for heat due to them being fitted in the engine compartment and potentially intoducing exhaust gases into the cabin if there's any leaks. Chesil get round this by fitting a heated windscreen.

Start a build thread with pics as and you'll get some feedback.

If you have any concerns with the IVA post here instead of your own thread. This has been happening in the past but others cant see what's been covered.
Rich

DDK Member 0547

H-G
DDK addict

Post by H-G »

Evening Rich and thanks for your feedback.

I'll look to upload my build thread to here soon and will take a look at Gregs build to see what he is coming up with to get around it. I've been looking at Porsche Boxster refuel flaps but need to see one in the flesh before I can decide if it is a way forward.

I think I may have found a solution to the windscreen demisting challenge - http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/e ... ist-heater

The Chesil windscreen doesn't fit my car otherwise that would have been the solution ID have gone with.

Am I correct in thinking that once the IVA has been successfully navigated, then any IVA specific modifications can be undone to return th car to how it should look?

Also, is there a specific 'trigger' that indicates that the car must go through IVA?

Thanks again

Ian
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Fuel filler - still hate the standard over this point. Just love the idea/ look of a centre bonnet fill and race spec tank.

So looking at a wing position aluminium filler with key and theather (to be double sure), correctly marked fuel pipe and a Beetle fuel tank and earth strap. All as cheap as possible. No plans to paint the body until after the IVA test and re-complete any wing body modifications after, if you catch my drift :wink:
Same as windscreen if you don't fit it there is no issue with the test ie no issues over not being E-marked, demisters from the heat exchangers, wipers, screen wash etc. Once tested the fitted screen should pass an MOT

I have used a double CV joint on the steering column shaft, seems to be some variation on using the beetle steering column and whether the crumple area is acceptable. Also needs to be clear symbols/ letters on any column stalks like on your modern car, I don't think the early Beetles had any. Certainly a 356 didn't

Not an expert on IVA just what I have picked up on here, Rich's help and reading the IVA manual before falling a sleep! So happy to be corrected.
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
1957 3.2 Speedster replica
H-G
DDK addict

Post by H-G »

You make an interesting point about the windscreen Greg and if done like this could mean that you have a registered car way before you have a car on the road if you get my drift?

Do you think that no screen fitting etc should take place at all so that there are no tell-tale holes in the body for the screen, wipers, washers etc? Would still want to fit some sort of demist as no doubt it will rain at some point and fog the windscreen. Trying to avoid the heat exchangers as this may limit exhaust options.

I'm about to try and copy my build thread onto the DDK site so everyone can see where I am; the fuel filler is the bit that pains me as it is just cutting a hole of the sake of cutting a hole. I was looking at options to do it such that it wouldn't look out of place if it were left in place afterwards. While not in keeping with the original car, it could prove useful if the luggage area is being used as intended.

I've downloaded the IVA manual so will make sure that things are done with this in mind to get through the test.
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Hi, you are right my car will be tested before it is finally fit for the road in the spec that I want.

You could take a mould from the wing to manufacture your own filler and use the back from a more modern car. Gary at Speedster clinic may already have something
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

Regarding to filler through the bonnet. For the life of me l can't understand if l was to present my car with the filler through the bonnet it would fail. I've read this topic so many times l just about know it word for word. That's SAD.

It ticks all the boxes in the manual, so what's the difference with a filler in the wing to mine?? Apart from ones a top fill and the other is a side fill. Nothing stipulates this, trucks have a top full tank so can't see that as a reason to fail. I don't fackin know.

It's vented, has a spill tray with a rubber to seal the underside of the bonnet, fitted a drain tube going out of the luggage compartment. It also now has a bonnet ring with drip edge on the underside to prevent spilt fuel blowing under the rubber seal. So the luggage compartment is totally sealed from spilt fuel or vapours.

I'm going to pay the IVA centre another visit to clarify why this would fail. This may put this topic to bed once and for all?? and help you guys out at the same time.
Rich

DDK Member 0547

greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Hi Rich,
Cant wait to hear what the IVA man says about through bonnet filling, fingers crossed. If by any chance the man he says yes, maybe clarify why, so I can tell the IVA guy in Norwich if he does not agree. I plan to organise to go a meet him when I get closer to the test just to get his/ her view on things.
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Bruce M »

What if the bonnet was a "fixed" cover and therefore it is not a luggage area?
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Just testing this thread.

1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk