IVA thread

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

mdmax72
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: IVA thread

Post by mdmax72 »

Still not heard from Vosa. It's so slow getting a response, it's unreal with today's technology. Must be looking into it further before he replies. ??

As soon as l know I'll post the details.
Rich

DDK Member 0547

Evolving Speedster Build ;-)
oliver365
DDK slapper chatter

Post by oliver365 »

mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

What can l say, Olly you let the cat out ;-)
Rich

DDK Member 0547

Richardab1967
DDK Fanatic

Post by Richardab1967 »

Splitpin wrote:That's because the bonnet covers the luggage compartment.

Take that away and the bonnet is now just a fuel filler flap
I get where you are coming from here, you are arguing that the bonnet is a giant filler flap and the luggage space has no space for luggage (its not big anyway and you could box it out so its just a 'technical' area). There's no centre mount fuel filler, just a giant flap (bonnet) that reveals only a fuel tank and standard internal filler spout.

What defines a luggage space, does the battery and spare wheel count?

Rich, looking at your avatar the fuel tank all but fills the space...there is no luggage area!
mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

Still not heard anything as of yet...

With what Splitpin has suggested, l think they would fail it. Reason being l do recall discussing this with the IVA centre l visited and went through different scenario's. Can't remember exactly what was said but recall him saying something along the line if a bonnet or boot lid is fitted to a car he would expect to see a luggage compartment underneath as a rule. Although after reading the on the net, if you remove the boot floor it's not classed as a luggage area. So may work??

Problem being if you removed the floor you would need to strengthen the front up somewhat as the front relies on the boot floor for support amongst other things. Although do able, would it not just be easier to put it in the wing and reverse it later??

Even with my bigger tank l can still carry a spare wheel/tyre up front Richard.
Rich

DDK Member 0547

H-G
DDK addict

Post by H-G »

While we eagerly await the update from mdmax72 re the fuel tanks I have been turning my thoughts to windscreens and the demisting challange that IVA throws our way. I bought a Chesil Heated screen, but also is doesn't fit the Speedster Clinic scuttle profile or screen frame so back to the drawing board!

I've found these which seem to be a pretty good solution with the prospect of providing some warmth to the footwell also. The DC Thermal website indicates that they are available with lower outputs whcih would overcome the huge draw (50 amps!) but wondering what everyone else is doing?

http://www.t7design.co.uk/index.php?mai ... cts_id=415
mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

Just some useless information.

I've purchase a dateless plate for the car. Whilst it was being transferred I've found out from Vosa that the number plate issued once it's gone through IVA is in fact classed as a private plate????. This slowed the process up alittle as they didn't know what to do with it. So l ended up putting the plate on retention to keep things simple for further down the line incase l need to remove the dateless plate. Vosa could guarantee I'd get a age related plate back and could end up on a Q plate???
Rich

DDK Member 0547

Richardab1967
DDK Fanatic

Post by Richardab1967 »

Not useless info at all.

I am not quite sure I understand what you are saying, but it was always my plan to aim for a new but age related plate, which I would then change for a dateless plate.....Why do you think you could end up with a Q?

mdmax72 wrote:Just some useless information.

I've purchase a dateless plate for the car. Whilst it was being transferred I've found out from Vosa that the number plate issued once it's gone through IVA is in fact classed as a private plate????. This slowed the process up alittle as they didn't know what to do with it. So l ended up putting the plate on retention to keep things simple for further down the line incase l need to remove the dateless plate. Vosa could guarantee I'd get a age related plate back and could end up on a Q plate???
mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

Vosa wasn't sure, if l was to sell the car without the dateless plate, what plate I'd be issued with?? Another new age related plate or a Q plate. So rather than take the gamble, I've put it on retention costing another £80 for ten years.
Rich

DDK Member 0547

AccidentalGenius
DDK Fanatic

Post by AccidentalGenius »

I have been thinking about the IVA and mostly about the fuel filler and I think I am just going to embrace it, do what I need to do as well as I can and not try and change it back after. So I have been looking at karmann ghia and Porsche fuel flaps (doors) and I am going to try and make a permanent solution that makes the IVA examiner happy and doesn't look stupid... if I can.

Watch this space.
Pre-a 356 Coupe (Speedster Clinic Replica)
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

There is a way of using a through the bonnet fuel filler and pass the IVA test :wink: let me know if you are interested and will pm you
cheers
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
1957 3.2 Speedster replica
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

IVA tips
I took the approach to over compensate for everything. Which was commented on but I think it helped to give added confidence;
Door handle cylinders ensure there is no sharpness
Remove grills at front or cover each fin with protective rubber gasket
Cover bonnet fins with rubber gasket - GT bonnet style
Rubber gasket everywhere;
ImageIMG_1806 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/149951780@N05/
ImageIMG_1805 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/149951780@N05/
ImageIMG_1804 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/149951780@N05/
ImageIMG_1803 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/149951780@N05/
ImageIMG_1802 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/149951780@N05
ImageIMG_1801 by Greg Moore, on Flickr

Through the bonnet filler
ImageIMG_1312 by Greg Moore, on Flickr

My better half very kindly sowed a pocket at each end to accept a jubilee clip which was hinden from view by a flap of material
ImageIMG_1315 by Greg Moore, on Flickr
Petrol resistant pipe must be petrol resistant and have docs to prove

Fuel cap must be tethered unless the key used to lock it is the same as the ignition key, so unlikely
ImageIMG_1808 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/149951780@N05/

I used FIA fire proof padding which was actually quite expensive and only comes in 980 mm lengths. I used a mix of tie wraps, zipped sleeves and thread over roll bars
ImageIMG_1807 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/149951780@N05/

The Speedo reading for rear drive cars with a front axle mechanical reading will need special documentation to prove calibration. They only have one set of rollers to check

I struggled to get a decent light pattern off VW beetle headlights

Make sure emissions are done on a MOT C02 meter before IVA and pass
Make sure brakes and H/ brake are checked on MOT roller before IVA to ensure working and balance
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
H-G
DDK addict

Post by H-G »

It’s been a while since I posted, but while I’ve been quiet on DDK and busy at work, things have been moving slowly in the Cave.

I’m finally at a point where I am about easy to book The Test with just a few minor bits and bobs to sort before taking the plunge.

The final main task is getting and fitting the correct fuel resistant (does it have to be specifically fuel resistant or chemical resistant?) collapsible ducting to prevent refuelling the car with the bonnet open. Would you be able to share the supplier details Greg?

Then it’s on to protecting the sharp edges, finding somewhere to be able to run the car and calibrate the speedo etc.
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Fantastic news 8). Any pictures?

I have sent you a pm

Which centre are you going to use? I know it should not make a difference but there is a certain amount of interpretation. I most likely went overboard with the edge protection using it everywhere. I even took extra with me on the day just in case.
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
H-G
DDK addict

Post by H-G »

Need to work out how to post pictures now that Photobucket is no longer the photo host of choice (cost!).

Likely to head over to the Norwich centre, especially if they did your test and have seen the likes of the refuel prevention setup.

In terms of work to do, its the ‘front to back’ piece to get everything where it needs to be for test. I’m thinking of then taking it to my local MOT center to have a once over and make sure that brakes are working, lights are set, emissions are where they need to be etc. Also be good to have a MOT testers critical eye over the work too.

Will look to update my build thread so everything is there.
greg356a wrote:Fantastic news 8). Any pictures?

I have sent you a pm

Which centre are you going to use? I know it should not make a difference but there is a certain amount of interpretation. I most likely went overboard with the edge protection using it everywhere. I even took extra with me on the day just in case.