Magnecors

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

mycar
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Magnecors

Post by mycar »

I`ve just this morning fitted a set of Magnecor plug leads.

Now I would have loved a set of bright red 8.5 mil leads but you just can`t do that sort of thing in Yorkshire.

Folk would be leaning in my engine bay, sucking their teeth, shaking their heads and saying `By gum lad, them`s smashing wires`, before wandering off to hold onto a tree and laughing their teeth out onto the ground.

So the 7mm black Electrosports it was and I can`t tell you how impressed I am with them... it feels like a new engine.

Also, as the shielding is so good, there`s no radio interferance anymore.

I am very chuffed, highly recommended.

The only downside is that the Magnecors were just part of an ignition overhaul I`ve planned. The Pertronix went in on Saturday which gave a slight improvement (probably because my dizzy and points were already pretty spot on) and I have an MSD on the bench ready to go in..... Now I`m wondering if the MSD is necessary.

Nevertheless, I`ve started, so I`ll finish.... may be it`ll make my engine even betterer. :drunken:

Regards, Mike

http://www.magnecor.co.uk/productinformation.htm
Magnum
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Magnum »

Hi Mike

Sounds very positive and, as you probably know, the original Porsche sets cost same as small African countries GDP............

I have emailed their tech support with no response.....I need for a 1971 E - what specific Magnecor product code were yours, do you perhaps know if theyr'e compatible with a 1971 MFI car and finally how much were they?

Regards
Magnus

1972 3.2 RS lightweight. Still a bit scary...
1987 3.2 Carrera. Sold..
1972 Alfa 1750 GTV. Sold...
1971 911E in Silver. So lovely, sold..
1971 911S. sold....
1972 BMW CSL. Stupidly sold...
1968 Land Rover SIIa SWB..rusted in half...
mycar

Post by mycar »

Hi Magnus,

the code for my set is 6792. (1968 carby). Here`s a link to the Magnacor catalogue, scroll down to Porsche.

http://www.magnecor.co.uk/pdfs/P-T2010.pdf

It shows leads for 6 cylinder 911 to `75 which may be correct but I`d give them a call to check, I found them pretty helpful. Oddly, Magnecor themselves couldn`t compete on price with other suppliers. (Even taking the DDK 10% discount into account)

I bought mine from these guys, who may also be able to help in deciding exactly which set you need. This shows the set I bought.

http://www.dcperformance.co.uk/cheap/35 ... -6792.html

Regards, Mike.
steeley
DDK Newbie

re:magnecor

Post by steeley »

Did you have much trouble getting them to fit?

I have a set of the red 8.5 for my SC but trying to get them on the plugs is
near on impossible. The glued-on rubber ring round the end of the plug cap
seems a bit fragile. In fact, I assumed I had been sent the wrong leads by the retailer and had to get them checked/repaired by Magnecor which they kindly did FOC.

I put my original Beru leads back on and they are a good fit on the plugs.
mycar

Post by mycar »

Hi, I ordered the 7.5mm leads which are pretty much the same size as the berus so they fit fine.

If you do a `Magnecor` search on Pelican or Early S, 8.5 mil leads are pretty popular, especially with the hot rodders. There seems to be a general agreement that the bigger leads are a tight fit.... but can be made to have it.

Prehaps a little light lubrication would help ?

Mike.
steeley
DDK Newbie

Post by steeley »

Thanks Mike- I've closely compared the size and shape of the plug caps,
and there is quite a difference. I guess that what makes fitting difficult.
The Beru cap is physically a much better design.