Rubber trim for 68 911

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

droplink
DDK Fanatic

Rubber trim for 68 911

Post by droplink »

I'm getting to the seriously expensive part of restoring my 1968 911 (see YouTube channel petermorgan911)!
Has anybody experience of a company called International Mercantile in California? I'm looking to buy all the rubber trim for the car as a single batch and they seem to make it.
Porsche do a lot of it of course, but I'm trying to avoid breaking the bank. Taking into account import duty and VAT, the US prices seem to save about 20 per cent on price without taking shipping into account.
Am I wasting my time looking at importing this? Is there a reliable and sensibly priced UK source? I think Forest Fine used to do all this, but they don't seem to be trading any longer.
Sourcing at sensible value seems to be the biggest hurdle for anybody restoring an early car, which sounds very obvious as I write it.
Any help most appreciated! Peter
Jonny Hart
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Jonny Hart »

I guess it depends how original you want to be. There are lots of companies that can match rubber extrusions, grommets and seals at a fraction of the cost of genuine parts. Clearly, this isn't going to work for heavily shaped window seals, but you may find that for other less prominent trim it is acceptable.

I think I used this lot before:

http://www.classiccar-trim.com/
Nick Moss
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nick Moss »

Roger Bray Restorationsdo all the rubbers you need
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
droplink
DDK Fanatic

Post by droplink »

Thanks!
Peter
visualfx
I luv DDK!

Post by visualfx »

Hi Peter,

I've watched all your restoration clips on You tube!

The engine rebuild clips are my fav's 8)

Keep e'm coming......
Prattie
DDK addict

Rubber trim

Post by Prattie »

I have to say that |I really hav'nt found the local porsche suppier too expensive when it comes to Rubber and it all fits well, seems a different quality to after market items.

Anyhow I would always give tham a call as well, as any other supplier.

After a while you will get discounts granted if your a regular which then does make them competitive.

Steve
barryb
I luv DDK!

Post by barryb »

Hi

Have you tried Zim's Autotechnik, www.allzim.com.

they do basic kits at a reasonable price, they are helpful and don't charge much for delivery.

Barry
2007 Cayman
2008 Mini R56 JCW
1962 356BT6 Cabriolet
1964 356C Coupé
1960 MGA 1600
1950 MG TD
2007 Harley Davidson Sportster
Member# 661
droplink
DDK Fanatic

Post by droplink »

Thanks for the replies. I'm also checking out the local official dealer, using the part numbers on the excellent Porsche Classic web pages. I expect them to be the most expensive, but accurate.
I'm always a little nervous about replica parts my experience is that some just plain don't fit.
I'll come back when I've been able to compare the prices/products.
droplink
DDK Fanatic

Post by droplink »

I bought most of the rubber trim I need to do a panel fit on my 68 911 from Roger Bray (thanks for the tip, Nick) and it arrived the day after I had placed the order!
Amazing service and a lot of useful advice, which is always something small business often neglects but is so easy to provide.