What engine to put into a 6 conversion?

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

jonat127
DDK forever

What engine to put into a 6 conversion?

Post by jonat127 »

I'm gathering info and knowledge but I have pretty much decided that I "need" a 6 and seeing as how I now have some time on my hands (redundant but looking for a job with school holidays off) I thought I would do a conversion.
I know it's a big job and not economically viable but this is my hobby not a business!

So, my question is, what engine should I be searching for. I don't want silly power just a bit more than the 4 and the wail of the 6.
I also don't think I want to go anywhere near fuel injection but I assume I can readily fit carbs to a later engine.

Recommendations please.

And if anyone has one they want to sell please let me know.

Cheers Jon
1970 914-6 conversion
1977 Stag one of the last made
Vauxhall Mokka - Wifes car and unexpectedly good!
VW T5 camper - custom day van conversion
fourteener
DDK rules my life!

Post by fourteener »

If you want to keep it narrow bodied and not make massive mods to the brakes and gearbox etc then why not get one of the smaller engines (2.0-2.4)
I have a 2.4T and I think it suits the car pretty well, nice and tractable with plenty of torque.

The conversion is well worth doing and fairly straight forward if you don't have too many "while I'm in there's"
James.

914-6 facsimile
rebuild your 911 tensioners
Ian Gunney
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by Ian Gunney »

i'd agree - having been in mike Karavasili's 2.0 914-6 (which Mike reckoned was pretty much S spec) I'd seriously think about that

mind you the torque of the 2.7 in my car is great :wink:
1966 912 Karmann Coupe - polo red.
1972 914/6 GT replica - 2.7 - signal orange.
1961 Standard 217 Tractor.
2003 Boxster S.
1967 Alfa Giulia Sprint GT Veloce.

http://www.redcastleclassics.com
Derek
DDK rules my life!

Post by Derek »

3.6 no questions, job done :lol:

Derek
1970 911 3.6T
amallagh
I need to get out more!

Post by amallagh »

No such thing as a 'bad' or 'good' combination, just different characters.

Fiesty fun 2.2S, 2.4S, 2.7RS
Grunty confidence 2.7, 3.0, 3.2
Solid as a rock dependability 2.4T/E, 2.7
Rubber shredding, mile eating reliability 3.6.

PMOs are great if you can find a set. Lot of money new but small fry against the budget for a proper 6 conversion.

I wouldn't fit any 6 without uprating suspension and brakes. The stock items just aren't up to handling anything over about 110/120bhp imho.
Being captain sensible - I'd have to say start with the brakes, suspension and steering and then move on the engine. But hat wouldn't be any fun, would it. Just uprate the engine and see how long it takes to stop !!!

I look forward to hearing regular updates
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by KS »

No no, you're all wrong...
http://www.renegadehybrids.com 8)
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Derek
DDK rules my life!

Post by Derek »

Scooby WRX :)

Derek
1970 911 3.6T
jonat127
DDK forever

Post by jonat127 »

amallagh wrote:I wouldn't fit any 6 without uprating suspension and brakes. The stock items just aren't up to handling anything over about 110/120bhp imho.
Being captain sensible - I'd have to say start with the brakes, suspension and steering and then move on the engine. But hat wouldn't be any fun, would it. Just uprate the engine and see how long it takes to stop !!!

I look forward to hearing regular updates
Andrew,
I already have 911 front brakes & master cylinder. Didn't you notice the excellent braking as demonstrated by Phil on last years international? :lol:
The front torsion bars have been tightend up a couple of splines and there are 185lb springs on nice spax adjustable shocks on the back. The only piece of the transmission that might need upgrading is the drive shafts (but you know about that don't you!)

James,
Yes I am going to keep it narrow as it won't fit into my garage otherwise!

Have been offered a 2.2T by another DDKer so based on comments so far this seems like a good option.

Can somebody tell me the difference between T and S, thanks :oops:

Jon
1970 914-6 conversion
1977 Stag one of the last made
Vauxhall Mokka - Wifes car and unexpectedly good!
VW T5 camper - custom day van conversion
Nige
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nige »

jonat127 wrote:.
Can somebody tell me the difference between T and S, thanks :oops:
about 40-50BHP!!

Do you have to go wide body for a SC motor?
Derek
DDK rules my life!

Post by Derek »

jonat127 wrote: Have been offered a 2.2T by another DDKer so based on comments so far this seems like a good option.
Jon
Thats a lot of work for a 30BHP increase over your standard 2.0/4 cylinder. Plus the extra weight.

Derek
1970 911 3.6T
impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Post by impmad2000 »

jonat127 wrote:Can somebody tell me the difference between T and S, thanks :oops:
T's the "Cheap" motor, Cast Iron Barels not Ali, Cam profile is different (Less cammy on a T), Lower Redline 6.5 K rather than 7.3 K (close to this, but I'm surre someone will put you right with the numbers), and the crank may not be counter balanced. (Probably isn't on a 2.2, might be on a 2.4)
40-50 bhp may be the figures, but I'll bet they feel very different too !
Cheers
Tim
Tim Bennett
RHD Targa 2.2T EFI, Triumph ITB's, EDIS and Megasquirt.
"Old enough to know what's right and young enough not to choose it"
amallagh
I need to get out more!

Post by amallagh »

jonat127 wrote: Didn't you notice the excellent braking as demonstrated by Phil on last years international? :lol:
Jon
Now that you come to mention it, I remember it well. I have been seeing a counsellor ever since !!

If the 2.2T is cheap then can't look a gift horse in the mouth but if you are going to have to rebuild it then I'd personally start with something a bit more spicey.
As said you'll only get 30/40 extra bhp over your flat4 with a lot of extra weight. The 2.2T can of course be uprated but that is where the expense comes in. 2.2T doesn't have a counter balanced crank like the S but still good for 150/160bhp with barrels/pistons/cams/porting as long as you don't rev it too high.
If you are just thinking of putting the 2.2T straight in without rebuild and it comes with carbs then nothing lost. You can sort it out with all the other mods to make the 6 work in the 914 and you could always keep an eye open for something else in the longer term. World your oyster and no need to rush.
fourteener
DDK rules my life!

Post by fourteener »

2.2 doesn't have piston squirters either (or some did and some didn't). Does the 66mm crank rev up much faster? The stock 914-6 only had a 2.0T with a 'weedy' 110hp but personally given the choice I'd have this over the 2.0 4cyl.
I think having a six in is so much more than just going faster. Maybe some 2.2T owners could pipe up about the pluses/minuses of this motor.
James.

914-6 facsimile
rebuild your 911 tensioners
davidppp
DDK rules my life!

Post by davidppp »

Hello all.

The original 2.0 in the 914-6 was deliberately a step behind the 2.2T in the then current 911..had they fitted the 2.2T they feared it would prove hard to sell 911's!

The later engine has a lot going for it really..much better combustion chamber bigger valves and a stronger case, and 15 HP with more torque spread.

But, as posted above, any sixer is miles better than the flat four..it changes the whole feel and character of the car to hear the great rush of it accellerating with six chokes in harmony..it makes it a real Porsche in all respects..

Kind regqrds
David
DOI..I have a rebuilt 2.2T to sell!
Derek
DDK rules my life!

Post by Derek »

If you go down the 2.2T route try and source a Bosch distributor as the more common Marrelli unit no longer has caps and rotor arms available for it.

Derek
1970 911 3.6T