2.2 T / S

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

I kept my Sparco racing seat in my 911 road/hillclimber because of the 'in' position and the wheel is nice and high. It is for me a far better position than stock or aftermarket seating and surprisingly comfortable. I also have a road seat belt and the 4 point harness for the hills.

The only thing you loose is the seat adjustment for others to drive (shame for them).

We will be trapped in the garages for some time yet I think! 8)
MikeB
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by MikeB »

Graham

the Sparco seats I'm using are the Sprint, which has side and bottom mountings. So far I've kept them side mounted, but for the OMP seat, because I made my own bottom to side mount converters I can actually fit the Sparco/OMP std runner between the seat and the converter. Hence it can still move back and forward. So if I want I can do the same with the Sparco, as it has the same spaced bottom mountings !! Clever, eh?
Cheers

Mike

RS Rep 3.0 on Webers
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

I did something similar, but still sat a touch high. The seat I have is about 1'' off the floor and side mounted solid to the original frames.

Nobody wants to drive my car anyway!

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

So a few more finishing touches have been added.

Firstly, the all essential rear lid script, the full tale of the Greek Tragedy can be found in the 911 section !! But here it is fitted

While waiting for the script to arrive, I decided to make a suitable lightweight bonnet stay, as up to now the method of holding the bonnet open has been this :-

Hardly practical in the field !!

So having studied others, a quick trip to B&Q produced some suitable alloy tube, and with some fettling a hinge bracket was fashioned and the whole attached to the bonnet

With the end fitting nicely into the top of the forward strut hex bolt

The final result supporting the bonnet sufficiently for any quick repairs or investigations that may be required on the road

Cheers

Mike

RS Rep 3.0 on Webers
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Got the MSD system fitted today, it's the 6AL-2 version, which has the rev limiter set up by two dials on the side of the unit. These are protected by rubber grummets and make tweaking about very easy.

I removed the existing Bosch unit and then moved my Voltage Regulator towards the rear of the electrical board, to where the relays used to sit.

As I got the red Blaster coil, it can't be sited on top of the fan housing, as it has to be upright (get the black vibration resistant coil if you want to keep it on top of the fan). After looking about, I decided to site the coil on the engine mount. To drill the holes, I removed the rear bumper, and droped the rear of the engine by 3 inches. The holes were then drilled and tapped for M8 bolts

The system fired first time, but as I suspected the rev counter didn't work, so I installed the MSD Adapter (Nr 8920) and the tacho workrd. In fact it is now totally accurate, as I was able to test it by setting the rev limiter to various levels, and the tacho agreed with the setting each time :)

For anyone contemplating a change to MSD, there is a really good guide on the Pelican Forum here

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche- ... -here.html
Last edited by MikeB on Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers

Mike

RS Rep 3.0 on Webers
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Put on a new back box tonight, as the original one mustn't have had any baffles left in it !!

Anyone want a Sports Single Outlet "silencer" ? :P

Took the time to recheck the carb balance, with the back of the car stuck out of the garage door, it's as close as I'll get to a Le Mans night time pit scene, so here it is :)

Cheers

Mike

RS Rep 3.0 on Webers
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

As my first event draws closer, there are still some mods to carry out. I'd been toying of the idea of improving the gear selection process for a while.

I'd bought a Weltmeister kit for my Pre 72 gear lever, but never quite got round to fitting it. However when Grewham put a nearly new WEVO on the market, I just had to have it.

As it came pre-assembled in the Post 71 alloy tower shifter, all I had to do was put it in the place of the original lever mech and do a fine adjust on the joint at the gearbox end of the rod.

Wow, what a difference ! Each change is now just a snick of the hand, aided by the sprung in centre location of the WEVO, and it's a very positive feel, even though I still have the std Porsche linkage joint at the rear.

One of the best mods I've made, has to be highly recommended :)
Cheers

Mike

RS Rep 3.0 on Webers
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

The mods continue :-

Today's Mystery Object :P

As has been discussed elsewhere, it's a good idea if you are going to use your 911 for competition or track days to have the crankcase not venting directly into the oil tank. So as my chassis is a '72 model this is the solution I came up with for my breather / catch tank

The crank vent enters on the left, while the pipe it previously connected to now acting as the oil tank vent. The other tank pipe is blocked off and the catch tank vent heads off across the back bulkhead to vent into the passenger side wheel arch, throughone of a pair of "mysterious" existing holes With the crank case breather being lower than the vent to atmosphere, should there be a build up of oil in the tank it should drain back into the sump rather than get blown out. Plus I'll keep an eye on it to see what, if any, oil ends up in the catch tank

The tank was crafted up for me by Crossle Cars, it's pretty handy having a racing car manufacturer on your doorstep for little bits of fabrication. :)

The aim of this system is to reduce the chance of any crankcase gases entering the ventillation system via the engine fan, which had been happening with the temporary "milk bottle" system that preceeded this :wink:
Cheers

Mike

RS Rep 3.0 on Webers
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Bit smart that!
You beat me to the Wevo, but interesting you feel it is such an improvement. There is another for sale now in france i think, but a bit expensive at 300+ Euro.

As the Lola comes to a finish for the season, my eyes turn to my faithful 911 Hotrod.... :)
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Thought I'd do a quick up date, as things have been pretty hectic in the past two months.

A loose tappet lead to a closer inspection of the cams, which showed some wear on the lobes. A total strip down of the engine followed to check if the metal grindings had done any harm.

Luckily, it didn't appear to be too bad, some minor scuffing of the big end bearings, but no damage to the crank journals. However, an inspection of the cam spray tubes showed that some debris had entered them and had blocked the holes feeding the two damaged lobes.

With everything thoroughly cleaned, it has all been put back together, with new bearings and seals all round, and the S cams replaced with a set of new billet DC40 (Mod S) cams, plus a pair of the later model oil restrictors for the cam oil supply lines and miscellaneous other minor parts as needed. I also checked the heads and gave the valave seats a quick clean, the guides and stem seals were all in perfect condition and had no signs of wear.

It started up a treat, and I've done about 100 miles on it so far, with no oil leaks !! One change I have made is to return the car to the Bosch CDI ignition. The reason being, I felt the engine advance with the MSD just wasn't quite right, it sounded too advanced on acceleration. I don't know why this is, as it is triggered by the distributor, but whatever the reason the engine sounds sweeter with the CDI refitted.

So back now to the "planned" programme of improvements :)

Replacement front struts have been sourced to suit the S calipers, that have been languishing in the garage for the past 4 months. I'm just waiting for my Porsche agent to get in the new spacer rings for the stub axles and we should be ready to do the trial fit.

So hopefully some more pics and tales of dribbling brake fluid will appear next week :lol:
Cheers

Mike

RS Rep 3.0 on Webers
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Well today's project was to refurb the S calipers, I recently acquired

A quick inspection showed that as usual the chrome plating had come off the exposed side of the pistons, so an order was placed with Pelican and new Stomski stainless steel pistons and two sets of seals were ordered.

It all popped together very nicely, interestingly the old seals were chamfered whereas the new are flat in section.

Just got to give the outside of the caliper a but of a clean and then they are ready to bolt onto the new struts and get the EBC Green Stuff pads bedded in :)
Cheers

Mike

RS Rep 3.0 on Webers
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Well, the culmination of my 911 Odyssey was to finally get to compete in it.

Craigantlet is the local round of the British Hillclimb Championship, it has quite a history running from the 1920s, being part of the Ards TT festival in the 1930s when the works teams competed, to being one of the original 5 venues for the inaugural BHC back in 1947. It's a public road course and was conceived as a 1 mile course up the Ballymascaw Road, but due to the ever spreading outskirts of Belfast it is now just 1500 yds long, but is still one of the quickest rounds in the BHC

Never having even done a full bore standing start before the first practice run, my first attempt was a bit of fluff, but by the 2nd practice I got the hang of it, getting down to a 2.39 sec for the 64 ft time, not bad on ordinary Dunlop SP Sports. I was taking it easy into the corner, and then getting the power on mid turn, and was really happy with the gradual slide that produced.

Any Hoo here's a couple of action shots :)

Cheers

Mike

RS Rep 3.0 on Webers
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Oh yes! 8)
Looks great fun and squatts well.
That is a good 64 foot time on 1A tyres to say the least.

Nice to see it driven like they should. :drunken:

Graham.
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Hanging it out 8) 8) 8) Good man :) :drunken:
jb
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by jb »

Great pictures