2.2 T / S

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

dragonfly
I luv DDK!

Post by dragonfly »

Beautiful! I really like the Minilites
Al
Member #665
'81 911SC Arrow Blue
Dragonfly 28 trimaran - no speed limits at sea
Binjammin
DDK Fanatic

Post by Binjammin »

mmmm that's turned out great, the decals do make a big difference and the wheels suit it nicely too.
1960 VW 15 window deluxe (Hardtop Samba)
1965 VW standard microbus

Subaru legacy GTB TwinTurbo daily hack
Highfield
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Highfield »

Lightweight_911 wrote:The decals make all the difference - car looks superb !
I agree - better get on with mine in that case :-)

Ian
Ian Highfield
Pre 73 1964 Alfa Giulia Sprint GT MSA Category 1 Rally Car
1992 964 C2 with RS Suspension setup and Sport Interior - SOLD
1973 911T (2.7 Carrera engine and loads of period mods - all steel) - SOLD
1986 Carrera Coupe (256bhp) - SOLD
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Been pondering on which seats to fit out the car with for road / classic rally use. I finally picked the OMP Brands Hatch, which arrived very promptly from Demon Tweeks today

Very pleased with how you feel sitting in them, nice lower body support, but not too high at the sides to hinder the harness getting a hold of you.

I'd made up alloy supports running across the std Porsche chassis mounts, but I'd like the passenger seat to be lower, as well as putting a bit more rearward rake on the cushion. OMP do an adaptor to let these bottom mounted seats fit side mountings (as used on most competition seats), so I'm going to take that route for both seats eventually.

However, the driver's Sparco race seat will stay in for hillclimbing in 2010.
Cheers

Mike

RS Rep 3.0 on Webers
Cortina
DDK rules my life!

Post by Cortina »

Mike ... tell me (what looks like) the single belt mount at the rear isn't just into parcel shelf ....... :shock:
Royal Enfield .. still in India
GL 1800 Tour DCT, for pleasure / Fantic 240 Professional - play
Rally 911 (1966) build parked for a while
Rally 928 (work started again - inc serious weight loss programe !)
.... and now another VW Up GTI owner.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Alan

Yes it's into the factory mount, the shell had the rear bulkhead replaced with a later one. These 3 point belts are fine for road rallies ( I bought them before realising the regs for Speed Events had changed) but for the hills, I have to fit a 4 point, which I have yet to sort out the rear points for. Currently thinking of using the rear seat points on the tunnel and the side panel, or might get a horizontal bar set into the roll hoop
Cheers

Mike

RS Rep 3.0 on Webers
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

My hillclimb 911 is 'belted' exactly like that Mike.
No probs with the Scrutes ever, though it is technically wrong. See Blue Book safety pages and the angle you are allowed to run the belts to the rear (side on pic in Blue Book)
Cortina
DDK rules my life!

Post by Cortina »

Either - I would go for the bar (as I will on my own) ... but not the factory mount there .... unless you plan to stay under 30mph ! :)
Cortina
DDK rules my life!

Post by Cortina »

Belts to rear +/- 10 degrees off horizontal prefered - down up to 45 degrees acceptable (as per 2010 blue book - no change from memory) - but self preservation is more important than passing scrutiny.
Rear belt run as short as possible to minimise stretch on impact (one could possibly argue that more stretch is better as it slows down deceleration (spelling ?) forces ??)
I'm going for shortest possible !
haasad
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

2.2 S/T

Post by haasad »

That is lovely!

A real credit and inspiration.

I was shocked to notice that the belts in my Dads Areonca plane are all fastened to the airframe with what looks like 1/8 rigging wire eyeleted for
6 mm screws :shock:

I suspect that our cars are somewhat stronger than that where ever one fixes the belts if no particular regulation applies. Aren't the standard screw sizes 14 mm ? with some sensible load spreading washers or sub plates the load required for a shear or pull out would be huge I imagine.
ddk member# 1527
Austin Healey 100/6, 1957 Fast Road ( now sold)
75 2.7 S backdated to "r" and very light (now sold).
Adria Camper
Buddy McCrae kneeboard.
Friar Tuck kneeboard.
Lots of Bicycles.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Yes, it's the matter of finding a piece of metal panel where you can put load spreading plates behind, if you are not using factory mountings.

Actually I was wrong in what I said above, the rear mounting is into a new point we created with proper spreading plates. However, as Alan says the best method is probably using a dedicated bar on the cage, it'll just be another bit of "spaghetti" to bang my head off if you ever need to do any work in the back !!
Cheers

Mike

RS Rep 3.0 on Webers
Gary71

Re: 2.2 S/T

Post by Gary71 »

haasad wrote: I was shocked to notice that the belts in my Dads Areonca plane are all fastened to the airframe with what looks like 1/8 rigging wire eyeleted for
6 mm screws :shock:
Aircraft belts are pretty much only for turbulence, a secure belt anchorage is probably the last thing to worry about during a plane crash! :)
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Some (many) years ago when I stuffed by 911 into the bank at the top Esse at Shelsley Walsh it was a near head-on. I had a stock T seat (!) and 2'' wide 4 point harness. I was in 'tight' but after the crunch it was surprising just how much the belts stretched. I hit my helmet on the screen top roll cage cross bar. I thought I had 4'' clearance!

Fit 3'' belts if you can, just so much better.(are they now mandatory in Mod Prod classes?)
sladey

Post by sladey »

MikeB wrote: Image

Very pleased with how you feel sitting in them, nice lower body support, but not too high at the sides to hinder the harness getting a hold of you.
Loving those seats! Very cool and very reasonable
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Well, it's been a rather frustrating Xmas period, with all the cold weather and snow (though it was pretty moderate here compared to what most of you guys seemed to experience).

I decided not to take the car out on salted roads, so it's spent the last load of weeks hiding in my garage.

In the meantime, I got round to tidying up the interior and sorting out the fitting of the OMP Brands Hatch bucket seat. It's now converted to a side mounting, you can get brackets to do this from OMP, but Crossle Cars ran me up a set for a quarter of the price !! So it now sits lower in the passenger side, and give more of a feeling of being "in" the car instead of sitting "on" the car, if you get my drift :)

A bit of a spring clean and now the interior looks like this

The red knob on the dash is a pull cbale that connects to the battery master switch.

Hoping things thaw soon so I can get it out and align the suspension, as well as get some better quality pics :bigsmurf:
Cheers

Mike

RS Rep 3.0 on Webers