2.2 T / S

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

MikeB
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

2.2 T / S

Post by MikeB »

I've been posting for a while here, and introduced myself in the New Members thread nearly a year ago, but mainly I've been asking questions !!

So I thought it's time to come clean as to what I've been doing :lol:

As I mentioned in the Intro thread, I've been competing in various forms of motorsport for manys a year, mainly in hillclimbs and sprints, but more recently in Retro rallying. Last year the opportunity came up to acquire a 911, and as I've always wanted a Porsche, my dad had a couple of 365s in the 1960s, I took the jump and bought this project car.

It was a 1971 ID, but in a 1972 shell !! Further it was currently fitted with a 3.2 engine and 'box But more importantly came with a proper 2.2S engine and an early 915 'box.

The car had been off the road for a very long time, well in excess of 10 years, and had passed through various hands. But, in that time the shell had been fully refurbed and all rust removed. However, the 2.2 engine wasn't running properly due to fuelling probs, and the PO, a friend of mine, had put the 3.2 into the shell purely out of frustration. He had also refurbed the suspension and brakes, so in effect just needed finishing.

I pondered on its future and decided that the best way forward was to keep it in Classic guise, with the 2.2S unit, as that really was where my interest lay. Mind you the Hotrod route route did prove tempting, but I resisted ! My goal was then to go the way of a 2.2 ST Rallye look-alike.

So I sold the 3.2 engine and 'box and started tackling the 2.2. The problem was the MFI system, which basically had a cold start circuit issue. I determined that the best way forward, given that the accepted MFI experts were a sea voyage and a couple of hundred miles away, was to bin the MFI and get a set of carbs. So a deal was done with a well known DDK member and a set of PMOs were acquired.

As carbs had been used on the rally cars at various times, I was quite happy to feel I was still within the spirit of my goal. SSIs and a Pertronix Ignitor completed the "tune-up"

The engine was installed and fired up. The car was MoT'd and I had the fun of driving it for a couple of weeks to prove that it all worked. And I'm glad to report that it did 8)

I also fitted an OMP rear hoop and Appbiz RS carpet set

Meanwhile the suspension was treated to a Weltmeister adjustable 19mm front ARB and an 18mm rear bar with adjustable links was also fitted.

So, as with all good projects, it was time to strip it all down once again and try and make it right.

The shell was professionally repainted in Blut Orange using Glasurit paint, here it is as I collected it:-

The engine was taken out and inspected, with the aged oil seals replaced, and a new Sachs Power Clutch fitted. Lightweight panels were acquired from Nick Moss, and I have to say were fitted with minimal effort, these being the rear bumper, engine lid and bonnet. A set of R hinges and rubber catches have been fitted to the rear. New chrome screen surrounds and light lenses were fitted along with new bumper seals

And the engine bay has been spruced up a bit

Before

After

While my one concession to luxury has been the fitting of a Momo Prototipo in the yet unfinished interior

As you may have detected, this is not one of the "No Expense Spared" recreations that often grace this forum (and long may they continue), but hopefully I'll get as much enjoyment out of it once it's finished..............that is of these project ever reach their final conclusion !!

I'll keep you posted as things progress during what I hope is the Final Assembly stage :)
Last edited by MikeB on Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers

Mike

RS Rep 3.0 on Webers
hot66

Post by hot66 »

great looking project 8) Are you planing on competing in it too ?
Last edited by hot66 on Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

James,

Yes the plan is to sprint and hillcimb it in 2010, to learn it's handling traits. Then I may do some Classic road rallies, which have a mixture of special tests, regularities and night navigation.
Last edited by MikeB on Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers

Mike

RS Rep 3.0 on Webers
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Doing a great job there. Looks superb.
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
sdelan
DDK forever

Post by sdelan »

MikeB -

Your car is looking FANTASTIC 8) - keep up the good work!!

Regards
Sean
1970 RHD Porsche 911T - Sold
1988 RHD Porsche 911 Carrera - Sold
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

Is that 'Burnt Orange'? always thought that colour works really well on the 911 shape.
After all the grief with my webers the PMO's are very tempting, but just the cost is difficult!

Great looking car and 180 bhp/tonne (?) will be a nice hillclimber!

Look forwards to hearing how you fare in 2010 with those carbs on the cammy 2.2S. 8)
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Graham

It's 018 Blut Orange / Tangerine the garage shot is using flash, while the pic at the painters is using an iPhone so natural light. So it looks a lot lighter in the flash shot.

As to the cammy engine, I had heard all the tales of lumpy engines, but was pleasantly surprised when I actually got round to trying it. it pics up its heels at about 17-1800. Between then and 5000 or so, it is tractable and pulls nicely. Now ofcourse when you get over 5000, it really does kick in, but I must say the low range stuff is nowhere near as bad as I had feared :)
Cheers

Mike

RS Rep 3.0 on Webers
Highfield

Post by Highfield »

Mike

Looking really good.

Ian
Ian Highfield
Pre 73 1964 Alfa Giulia Sprint GT MSA Category 1 Rally Car
1992 964 C2 with RS Suspension setup and Sport Interior - SOLD
1973 911T (2.7 Carrera engine and loads of period mods - all steel) - SOLD
1986 Carrera Coupe (256bhp) - SOLD
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

OK, I'm working to a deadline of having the car "presentable", if not totally finished for an engagment on Friday 18th December, so I've been moving things on.

Got the good news that my new 15 x 6 Minilites were shipped today, so will hopefully be tyred and fitted on Saturday, when I hope to get it out into the open, fit the side decals and bumper lines, as well as fine tune the carbs.

Since my last update I've been working on the front of the car, painting the bonnet area and generally tidying it up. There are still some things to do in there, so no pics I'm afraid !!

However that allowed me to get the bonnet fitted, horn grilles and the bonnet hooks

The number plate coming very efficiently from Craigs

The next job was fitting the door cards. I decided on using Appbiz RS America cards, as I reckon the handle is more durable and I wanted some door pockets for time cards and other bumph !! :)

As usual with all Bob's stuff, they were an easy fit with great simple instructions.

My next quandry was the engine lid grille. As you can see my car came with the 1972 standard black one, however as I'm basing the "image" on a 1970/71 rally ST then I knew that the chrome look was more period. I resprayed the grille with Chrome paint from B&Q, which is actually quite acceptable, as those products go, but really didn't like how it went with the Burnt Orange.

So after further head scratching I decided on a mesh affair, and after viewing a few finished items on the various forums (or is that fora ?? :P )
I went for this look.

Which in wideshot is this

Cheers

Mike

RS Rep 3.0 on Webers
sladey

Post by sladey »

Car looks fantastic - really really cool

Of course what you want now is a thick silver stripe down the middle :lol: :lol: :lol:
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
Binjammin
DDK Fanatic

Post by Binjammin »

Yeah that's looking great, will be nice to see it with the wheels fitted.
1960 VW 15 window deluxe (Hardtop Samba)
1965 VW standard microbus

Subaru legacy GTB TwinTurbo daily hack
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Well, I've finally got back on the road, not totally sorted but reasonably presentable :)

The minilite arrived and I've put 195/60 Dunlop SP Sport 01 tyres on them, (hope they last longer than the set I had on a Mini back in the '70s, I got 700 miles out of them after a rather hectic week in Donegall !!).

So took the car down to my father's larger garage, to get more room to fit the decals. So here it is in it's "bare" state

The deals applied, and I'm really happy with the final result :bigsmurf:

So some fine tuning to the ignition and carbs and we should be ready to go
Last edited by MikeB on Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers

Mike

RS Rep 3.0 on Webers
sladey

Post by sladey »

Veeerrry 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

It looks a treat Mike, and those minilites are a nice 'difference' to the Fuche
Ready to hillclimb then!
:albino:
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

The decals make all the difference - car looks superb !
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”