Spa Circuit under threat!

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Spa Circuit under threat!

Post by Gary71 »

Extract from Pistonheads news story

http://pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=20707
FUTURE OF BELGIAN GP IN DOUBT

Spa's operating licence revoked until 2026

The future of the Belgian Grand Prix looks to be in serious doubt after the Belgian government suspended the circuit's operating licence - with immediate effect - until 2026.

The decision has been taken by Belgium's Council of State after a noise complaint was made against the circuit by nearby residents in 2007.

The result of that complaint was that Spa's operator's were ordered to undertake an environmental impact study, which the Belgian government has slammed as "seriously inadequate and incomplete".

"It's quite a shock" circuit boss Pierre-Alain Thibaut told Belgium's Le Soir website. "Since the complaint was made, the whole situation has changed. The circuit has worked hard to reduce noise pollution and our relationship with local residents has been much improved."

Thibaut also said that is was a critical situation for Spa, and would call the "whole viability of the circuit into question,"

It seems Spa will not go down without a fight, however. Thibaut is already planning to appeal against the ruling.

Even if the historic circuit gets its licence back, it may struggle to keep staging a Grand Prix - it was revealed on Sunday that this year's event made a £2.6 million loss.

UPDATE:
PH spies have reported that transporters, cars and crew have been trying to get into the Spa-Francorchamps circuit for this weekend's Spa Six Hours to find the gates locked.

UPDATE 2:
The circuit organisers have lost their appeal, but may yet be granted a reprieve by government. The case has gone to Brussels, so expect a ruling this evening, or possibly tomorrow. Either way there is unlikely to be any Thursday testing, while the Six Hour race weekend itself is in serious doubt.

Not good news, yet another example of people moving in next to a race circuit because the land is cheap, then moaning about the noise enough to shut it down! :cussing: :angry4: :banghead:
rvzz
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rvzz »

They had better sort it out before I get there on Friday ! , this will be my first ( or last ! ) visit to Spa . Gutted ..... :evil:

cheers.......Russ
23e Heure
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by 23e Heure »

Thanks for the heads up for the 6 Hours Gary.
If there's any substance in teams not being allowed into the circuit today, it's no surprise, as gates don't open till Weds evening.
As for the rest of the story...
Searched lesoir.be own site (where the source story apparently came from), but nowt to be found there.

I hope it's not all true! Guess I'll know in person tomorrow lunchtime :shock: (Russ, I have your number...)

***EDIT***
Looks like a simple scare, at least as far as this weekend's 6 Hours is concerned: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78806
James
'87 R4 GTL Clan
'74 914/6 3.0 Texas GT
'73 911 2.7 RS Replica LHD
'72 911 2.4 E RHD (Sold)
bjmullan
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by bjmullan »

Quoting Autosport.com....

Belgian Grand Prix venue Spa Francorchamps has been reopened following the suspension of a ruling which temporarily closed the circuit because of noise complaints, AUTOSPORT understands....

However, following a meeting of government officials, sources have said that the closure of the circuit has been called off pending further legal discussions to take place next week following Spa's decision to appeal against the decision.

This means that this weekend's blue riband Spa Six Hours historic event can go ahead, although a lasting solution to the noise disputes still needs to be found.
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

Fingers crossed it is just a scare. :)

...but these rumblings are difficult to calm down once they get some weight behind them.
bjmullan
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by bjmullan »

I hope so as well as I'm planning a trip to next years Grand Prix.
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio
smallspeed

Post by smallspeed »

really pisses me off, as always people move somewhere like spa and then complain about the noise from something thats been there for 100yrs

same things happened in my parents village; there is a small airport (actually 2nd busiest in EU for take off's and landings apparnetyl! ) where they train pilots in light aircraft, and some people who recently moved to the village complained about the noise from the aeroplanes and are petitioning to have the airport closed!!.. what they don't realise is they're on the ideal flight path out of heathrow and gatwick, uper heyford, brize norton, etc., but currently the planes go over/around the airspace of the local airport.. if they close the local airport guess what will happen..

its the same with spa; if they close the circuit the area will die; i bet 1/2 the people who go to that area of belgium are there in part for the circuit!..
Bladesman
DDK addict

Post by Bladesman »

I would be interesting to see what would happen if the circuit was closed.

No racing/track days......no tourism....no income to hotels/resturants....businesses close....no jobs...
smallspeed

Post by smallspeed »

/\ /\ /\ exactly /\ /\ /\

no offence to any belgians on the forum but there's not a lot going on in the ardene region which isn't associated with the circuit..
Bladesman
DDK addict

Post by Bladesman »

I suppose the good folk of Spa could open an Ardennes Pate museum :lol:
Glenn75S
DDK above all

Re: Spa Circuit under threat!

Post by Glenn75S »

Gary71 wrote:
Not good news, yet another example of people moving in next to a race circuit because the land is cheap, then moaning about the noise enough to shut it down! :cussing: :angry4: :banghead:
Father inlaw had a similar experience...neighbours moved into a house on a Golf Course in Bedford, house next to the 8 hole....then complained when his new greenhouses got damaged by golf balls.

The conclusion the club had to turn teh Par 4 into a Par 3!!!

The world has gone crazy! :roll:
1975 Porsche 911S (SOLD)
1990 Porsche 964 Carrera 2 (Distant Memory)
2000 Audi TT 225
2007 Volvo V50 D5 SE Sport
2009 Hungarian Vizsla AWD