Italian connections (not prancing donkeys)

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

East Coast Dave
Married to the DDK

Italian connections (not prancing donkeys)

Post by East Coast Dave »

Hi all

Anyone on here familiar with Italian 'ways'.

I've pretty much sold my car to a guy from Italy, and he's very keen. My only reservation is he's less 'careful' than I would be.

Basically he's about to send me £Xk having not seen the car or me in the flesh, and not yet had a full address from me. We've exchanged several emails, and he's had loads of photos of the car and seems genuine, but I want to make sure, so wondered if anyone here has any knowledge or experience.

His email address ends stafftheclub.com. I've been on that site and it looks like a kind of Italian facebook thing. Any help or comments gratefully accepted.
"Let's be careful out there"

SOLD:
1968 LHD 912 targa
& some veedubs
(to pay for growing family - and house!)
PhilGarner
Married to the DDK

Post by PhilGarner »

I'd say you should approach this with great care. How is he sending the money? Does it make sense that he'd want to come and buy the car from Italy?
nickT
DDK forever

Post by nickT »

I'd be asking myself : would i pay for a car i havn't seen or buy from a guy i hadn't met ?

Have you got a phone number or address for him ?

I have sold a couple of 356's into Germany but we met and had viewings, even then it was a bit nerve wracking with international bank transfers and all that.

Hope it goes OK , Nick.
sjm
DDK rules my life!

Post by sjm »

I agree - approach with caution. But on the flip side, a guy I know sold his Lancia Fulvia via ebay toa guy in Singapore. He never saw the car in the flesh - just a couple of phone calls, waited til he had cleared funds then took it off to the docks for the guy. Went smooth as anything.

Who knows? :?
Simon Moore
1958 356A
1978 Aston Martin V8
1988 Jaguar XJS 3.6 manual
1959 Lambretta Li125
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

I've bought half a dozen or so 911's in the US without ever seeing the cars or their owners 'in the flesh'.

In each case I've wired the money direct to the seller's bank account before arranging for the car to be picked up by the shipper - never had any problems.
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
johndglynn
DDK forever

Post by johndglynn »

Lightweight_911 wrote:I've bought half a dozen or so 911's in the US without ever seeing the cars or their owners 'in the flesh'.

In each case I've wired the money direct to the seller's bank account before arranging for the car to be picked up by the shipper - never had any problems.
Yep, me too, though two in Europe and one in the US. Will take me a while to catch up with Lightweight, but is hopefully doable!
East Coast Dave
Married to the DDK

The car was apparently sold into Italy when new (according to the guy I bought it from), so that's potentially why he's so keen on it.

He wants me to remove the hot VW engine and sell the car with it's (busted) original engine in situ. I've asked for the funds before I start swapping them out.

Today he's emailed saying the funds are en route - so we'll see.

Does anyone know what sort of comeback he might have on me if he gets here & changes his mind, but he's already paid? The removal of the engine will be quite time consuming and effectively devalues the car (depending on your view point I suppose :wink: ).

If he pays and I move the money on to another account (let's be realistic - settle some credit card debt :roll: ) can he request a return of funds from his bank?

Trying to cover all bases here.

Thanks for any further help / opinions...

SOLD:
1968 LHD 912 targa
& some veedubs
vipergreen
DDK Fanatic

Post by vipergreen »

If the money arrives, I think that the probabilities of a request of money back are scarce.

The internet site is a very local youngsters-type site of a city in tuscany, maybe he's getting the help of his son for emails (often happens with older people over here).
He's selling a 66 polo red 912 on an italian site.

Regards,
Andrea
East Coast Dave
Married to the DDK

Andrea

That's very good information - thanks very much.

I'll keep watching my bank balance. The sum involved shouldn't be difficult to notice :wink:

I'll keep you all up to date with developments - 'cos I know you're enjoying this as much as I am.

SOLD:
1968 LHD 912 targa
& some veedubs
defianty
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by defianty »

Good luck Dave, hope all works out fine.
Stephen

1973 914 3.0 GT Build Progress
1974 TR6

914 Rear Alignment Shims