Silver & black 2.4

The place to post image of your PORSCHES

Moderator: Bootsy

MikeB
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by MikeB »

Jonathan

As Mick points out there is a flame trap on the std set-up. As to the quantities and qualities of the oils in the various cars I have no knowledge.

I had a tip from a rally prep guy down there not to connect the engine vent hose to the oil tank, so I had it going straight to a bottle set in the position shown above, with the tank vent going into the same bottle. So far the bottle had stayed empty, but I did notice I got a Heck of a Whiff of crankcase gases into the cab if I wrung its neck. Hence taking the above tale and my desire for a sweet smelling "workplace", I've now moved the catch tank onto the rear wing area (being a 72 shell it is sited behind the rear wheel)
Cheers

Mike

RS Rep 3.0 on Webers
Mick Cliff
I need to get out more!

Post by Mick Cliff »

jwhillracer wrote:My MFI engine tops up the dry sump tank with petrol faster than all the oil leaks lose it :?
A quick sniff tells when it's time for an oil change! :roll:
JW
I've been told that before, by the guy who used to build Jack Tordoff's RS's in his (Tordoff's) rallying days. It's because the fuel cut off solenoid is not working, I believe? A common problem, apparently.
Certainly my (long gone to a new home) RS Replica used to dilute the oil with fuel
Merc B Class diesel
Porsche-less
jwhillracer
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jwhillracer »

Yes, the flame trap will stop flame travelling into the oil tank, but obviously doesn't stop oil and fumes entering the filter housing, where it could ignite on backfire.
You're right not to connect the engine breather direct to the oil tank. I have engine and oil tank seperately fed into my catch tank. Never noticed any fumes in the car, but with fibreglass doors, no seals etc I get plenty of fresh air!

JW
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber 3.2 MFI. Part of the family for 30+ years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT (Greyhound Transport!)
The Minotaur
DDK addict

Foam air filters

Post by The Minotaur »

Hi Ian,

Many thanks for the detailed info on the Rennsport classic air filters. Much appreciated. I already have a catch tank fitted so there shouldn't be a problem from that point of view. A side on photo would be very useful please. Shame about snagging the engine lid though. With Mark Waring's experience i would have thought he would have got this sorted!

Tim
'73 wide bodied 911T (new twin plug motor under construction).
Toyota Hilux
Audi A4 Quattro Avant (wife's motor)
'54 Grey Fergie Tractor (my every day transport)
'54 Grey Fergie Tractor (in bits)

Your plan never survives first contact with the enemy!
Mick Cliff
I need to get out more!

Post by Mick Cliff »

Merc B Class diesel
Porsche-less
IanMcLeod
DDK rules my life!

Re: Foam air filters

Post by IanMcLeod »

The Minotaur wrote:... A side on photo would be very useful please ...
Here you go ...

JB-L
DDK forever

Post by JB-L »

I love the matt black look, incredibly cool.
I love the smell of burnt rubber and hydrocarbons in the morning, it smells of......victory.
IanMcLeod
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanMcLeod »

Thought I would reopen this thread as the colour scheme is in the process of being updated. Originally the car was off for restoration this spring but with moving house and wanting to go to a number of PCGB 50th events this year I have delayed that.

Which left me with a car with some unsightly areas of rust so I have had some temporary metal work done including fixing the passenger B pillar and tidied up the other areas. Not wanting to spend lots of money on a proper paint job, as it will be very short term, I've gone for the all over matt look.

Currently putting the car back together but here are a couple of shots of the rear end to start. Main shell is done so now doors, wings, bonnet and all glass to be refitted. Two things I've learnt. First how easy these cars are to take apart. Like really really easy. Second what areas of the shell will need attention for the restoration (and it's not too bad).

Ian.
A sponge and a rusty spanner

2.4E RHD, 2.4E RHD, 993 Carrera RHD
Derek
DDK rules my life!

Post by Derek »

Nice, loving the black 8)

Derek
1970 911 3.6T
IanMcLeod
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanMcLeod »

Thx. I have completed the front of the car now but other half has camara so no pics yet. I have come to the conclusion the car looks like it has been e-coated LOL. Not a look I would go for long term but fun for the summer.

Just have the doors to do and of course I now need to get my wheels refurbished as the rest is looking so smart! Away for two weeks so will finish on my return and post final pictures.

Ian.
A sponge and a rusty spanner

2.4E RHD, 2.4E RHD, 993 Carrera RHD
IanMcLeod
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanMcLeod »

I took these a while ago but never had chance to post them

The Dansk sports exhaust after a sandblast and coat of high temp exhaust paint. How long are those pipes!

IanMcLeod
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanMcLeod »

The front end of the car

Ian 2.2S
DDK rules my life!

Post by Ian 2.2S »

IanMcLeod wrote: and wanting to go to a number of PCGB 50th events this year I have delayed that.
Ian.
Yeh, that's just the kind of purist look they will appriciate :lol:

Looks brill.
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

I'm not normally a fan of matt finish cars - especially black - but I think your 'temporary' paint job looks great Ian !
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

Certainly does, and i am not a fan of such an approach, but certainly does work.

I would also cut those daft pipes!

My 2 in 3 out silencer (not a Dansk) are just level to the bumper line.
You are bound to walk into them some day, or someone else will!