Silver & black 2.4

The place to post image of your PORSCHES

Moderator: Bootsy

Mick Cliff
I need to get out more!

Post by Mick Cliff »

Air filters by ITG from: http://www.wwclassics.com/ (click through to rennsportclassics.eu,they're under "Engine" and then "Air filter systems")
Merc B Class diesel
Porsche-less
The Minotaur
DDK addict

Foam air filters

Post by The Minotaur »

Thanks Mick, much appreciated. Tim
'73 wide bodied 911T (new twin plug motor under construction).
Toyota Hilux
Audi A4 Quattro Avant (wife's motor)
'54 Grey Fergie Tractor (my every day transport)
'54 Grey Fergie Tractor (in bits)

Your plan never survives first contact with the enemy!
IanMcLeod
DDK rules my life!

Re: ITG type foam air filters

Post by IanMcLeod »

The Minotaur wrote:Hi Iain, just found this thread. Your car looks absolutely stunning! I would be interested to know where you got your clip on foam air filters from, and what the price was? Thinking of fitting them to my 2.7RS engine to replace the cumbersome plastic unit. Thanks. Tim
Tim.

Thx for the nice comments. I did indeed get these from Mark Waring (the link Mick has posted is their new site). I think you can also get them from places like Autofarm. The price on the site looks about right for what they cost but can't remember as it was a year ago now.

The good thing about them is that they clip straight onto the 2.4 stacks using the standard fastners. The bad thing is they are too tall and catch the engine lid as delivered. You can see from the picture I have had to bend the tops down at one end to get clearance. Particularly the one on the right hand side of my engine picture. I can take a side on picture if you want to see more detail. I also fitted an oil catch tank for the oil tank breather as this can no longer be connected once these are fitted.

Ian.
Mick Cliff
I need to get out more!

Re: ITG type foam air filters

Post by Mick Cliff »

IanMcLeod wrote:Thx for the nice comments. I did indeed get these from Mark Waring (the link Mick has posted is their new site). I think you can also get them from places like Autofarm. The price on the site looks about right for what they cost but can't remember as it was a year ago now.
The good thing about them is that they clip straight onto the 2.4 stacks using the standard fastners. The bad thing is they are too tall and catch the engine lid as delivered. You can see from the picture I have had to bend the tops down at one end to get clearance. Particularly the one on the right hand side of my engine picture. I can take a side on picture if you want to see more detail. I also fitted an oil catch tank for the oil tank breather as this can no longer be connected once these are fitted.
Ian.
I picked up a set on Ebay about a year ago with a small saving...
The right side filter is set back which causes it to foul the engine grille slightly. I just let it rub and it's gradually taking a slightly 'deformed' shape as the foam settles to it's new shape.
I need to fit a catch tank - what did you use Ian? At the moment my breather pipes are just left loose and after a year there's no oil residue.
Merc B Class diesel
Porsche-less
IanMcLeod
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanMcLeod »

I used a bit of brute force and ignorance to remodel the tops to clear.

Nothing sophisticated for the oil catch, just a plastic container. Some sort of old washer fluid container off a car. I'll take a picture tomorrow evening.

Ian.
Steve Brookes
DDK Newbie

Post by Steve Brookes »

It's looking great Ian :) . Quite a transformation since I last saw it at our pub car park meet in Woodhouse Eves nearly two years ago.
964 C2 in GP white - track biased but still nice on the road.
IanMcLeod
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanMcLeod »

IanMcLeod wrote:Nothing sophisticated for the oil catch, just a plastic container. Some sort of old washer fluid container off a car. I'll take a picture tomorrow evening.
Finally got round to taking a picture. As you can see it's a very simple set up. The pipes keep it in place so no need to bracket it to the shell.

Ian.
IanMcLeod
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanMcLeod »

Hi Steve. :wave: Yes I have done a lot to it over the last two years. Nice to see you on here.

Ian.
Mick Cliff
I need to get out more!

Post by Mick Cliff »

IanMcLeod wrote:Finally got round to taking a picture. As you can see it's a very simple set up. The pipes keep it in place so no need to bracket it to the shell.

Ian.
Thanks Ian
Simplest solutions are always the best! I'll have to root around the garage tomorrow - I'm 'sure' I'll have something suitable kicking around....
Merc B Class diesel
Porsche-less
jwhillracer
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jwhillracer »

An old 911 washer bottle, as in this (works?) RSR and JW's hillclimb car!

Cheers! :drunken:

JW

PS - like the mods to your car, Ian! 8)
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber 3.2 MFI. Part of the family for 30+ years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT (Greyhound Transport!)
Mike
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Mike »

cheers, Mike.

previously..
1994 968 Club Sport Riviera Blue
1994 993 C2 Carrera Riviera Blue
1972 911S to Martini RSR Prototype Spec
1973 911E to RS Lightweight Specification
1981 924 Carrera GT ex Mexborough car
3.2 Carrera Sport x2
Mick Cliff
I need to get out more!

Post by Mick Cliff »

Mike wrote:Image
Too clean, Mike, too clean :lol: !
Hope you're well
Merc B Class diesel
Porsche-less
MikeB
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by MikeB »

Heard a worrying tale at a recent event, and have just revised my catch tank thoughts.

At the last race meeting at Mondello, two 911s had engine bay fires which were thought to have originated from oil fumes coming out of the catch tanks getting ignited, I assume by a backfire through the carbs.

Don't know if anyone has any other info on this or similar incidents.
Cheers

Mike

RS Rep 3.0 on Webers
Mick Cliff
I need to get out more!

Post by Mick Cliff »

MikeB wrote: two 911s had engine bay fires which were thought to have originated from oil fumes coming out of the catch tanks getting ignited, I assume by a backfire through the carbs.
I guess that explains why the standard airbox is used to collect all the fumes and the fumes through a flame trap arrangement?
Thinks - must get mine sorted before too long...
Merc B Class diesel
Porsche-less
jwhillracer
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jwhillracer »

I haven't heard of this before, and thankfully haven't had it happen! Considering that the standard system vents into the air cleaner housing, I would think that the catch tank, properly set up (and regularly emptied!) would be safer than standard.

My guesses would be -

a/ Oil over-filled, causing the dry sump tank to over-spill into the catch tank.

or

b/ Oil not changed regularly enough. My MFI engine tops up the dry sump tank with petrol faster than all the oil leaks lose it :?
A quick sniff tells when it's time for an oil change! :roll:

And also - poor, or non-existent air filters not containing the back-fire in the first place!

Cheers!

JW
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber 3.2 MFI. Part of the family for 30+ years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT (Greyhound Transport!)