What do you do for a living?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Ian Donkin
DDK rules my life!

Post by Ian Donkin »

A degree in Finance & Accounting didn't make me an accountant and I ended up in IT by accident. Now work for the same Global IT Research & Advisory services firm as Peter on DDK although I just do the selling whilst he actually delivers value!
2006 RHD 997 Carrera (but DDK remains in my heart - also now no longer)
1972 LHD 2.4T with '73 2.4T CIS motor - gone to a new DDK home
1994 RHD 993 Carrera - gone!
1968 LHD 911L - was the Wife's but now in new hands :-(

Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Originally trained as a Research Chemist - studied for my degree part-time (day release) whilst working for Unilever Research (opposite the old AFN works in Isleworth). After 7 years I decided it wasn't for me so spent a year travelling then changed carreer several times including working as a Medical Rep, Croupier, Deputy Director of a Childrens Charity, etc then sold up, left London & set up my own business in Mid Wales - originally building high quality replicas (C & D Type Jaguars) then switched to restoration (including E-type, Aston DB4, Alpine Renault A110, XK120) plus work on various Porsches including an original RHD RS LWT. After 7 years (is there a pattern here ?!) I returned to London & retrained as a teacher - currently work 3 days a week teaching Design Technology in a Special school.
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
markm
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by markm »

Quantity Surveyor by trade but own a construction company with my partner building high end villas. Just finished a 40,000ft² villa for the man who owns Matalan.

Currently on a sebatical spending time with the family deciding what I want to do next
72 2.4s
96 993 RS
Series 1 DDK membership card
Nige

Post by Nige »

I'm one of the creative, arty farty types who does colouring in and other really, really creative stuff with sticky tape and cardboard. Sometimes glue and pointy knives.
kevdodd
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by kevdodd »

Some interesting jobs there. Big thumbs up to the ambulance man, they are so often under praised.

I am an electronic engineer (Chartered Engineer too :) ) currently working for Sony designing digital LCD TV's (for about 2 more weeks). Then, its onto the dole heap to find a new jobs - all offers considered.

Prior to that, I worked for a missile defence company making brains for bombs that fly, and prior to that, did a similar thing for what was DERA (now Qinetiq/DSTL), mainly designing electronics for Infrared seeker heads!

I like to be hands on, and do all my DIY/car stuff etc as I am a tight arse! :lol:
louis356
I luv DDK!

Post by louis356 »

I'm one of the creative, arty farty types who does colouring in and other really, really creative stuff with sticky tape and cardboard. Sometimes glue and pointy knives.
I'm one too, but without the pointy knives ('they' don't let me have them any more)

But have just spent an enjoyable afternoon today casting for a half naked girl! :shock: so there are some perks!
-Macs speed shop-
V dubs and Porsche tubs
87 924S (Now dead or is it?)
62 356 (Working on it!)
66 912 (Sadly gone - but have you seen the price of it!!)
Apal speedster (Sadly gone)
BSA Bantam in bits
A35 Race car in the making (peanutracing)
mycar

Post by mycar »

louis356 wrote:But have just spent an enjoyable afternoon today casting for a half naked girl !
And you keep a photographic diary of your work ??

Mike.
defianty

Post by defianty »

Another arty type here too. Went to art college after school for a few years but didn't go on to university as I was offered a junior position and decided that was the best option. I was desperate to earn some money! Glad I did as getting a position in the industry is almost impossible without experience.

Worked my way through most titles seeking that elusive Creative Director roll. Finally achieved that and after a few years realised I'd had enough of the industy and a change was in order.

I now design snowboarding and surf apparel along with 'lifestyle' fashion garments for several fairly well known brands. I've still no idea how I got in to it. :lol:
Stephen

1973 914 3.0 GT Build Progress
1974 TR6

914 Rear Alignment Shims
defianty

Post by defianty »

louis356 wrote:But have just spent an enjoyable afternoon today casting for a half naked girl !
I spent the afternoon looking through model agency books for a few girls for a photoshoot in Spain next month. A tough day! :lol:
Stephen

1973 914 3.0 GT Build Progress
1974 TR6

914 Rear Alignment Shims
Nige

Post by Nige »

defianty wrote: Worked my way through most titles seeking that elusive Creative Director roll. Finally achieved that and after a few years realised I'd had enough of the industy and a change was in order.
:
Been in that stage for a few years. Would like a move to something outdoors but the pay keeps me put. Luckily I work totally independently as I'm the only designer within the company, so I'm my own boss, my own junior, my own art director. If it wasn't like that I'd be long gone now. Really can't be bothered with the bullsh*t of some arty farty designers, so I tend to steer clear working with others. I'm probably the least likeliest of designers, being very 'workmanlike'

You don't have to be a ponce to be creative is my motto ;)
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Nige wrote:
You don't have to be a ponce to be creative is my motto ;)

but it help's, doesn't it Nige ? ;) :lol:
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Nige

Post by Nige »

I can turn it on and off if the situation requires, but I try to avoid that if at all possible.

Really I just want to grow a beard and become a Park Ranger, mend fences and drive a Land Rover all day. Thing is I don't think the pay is too good.

In a couple of years I'm hoping the wife will go back full time into a Headship, I can then take a lower salary job.
mycar

Post by mycar »

Nige wrote:I can turn it on and off if the situation requires.

Really I just want to grow a beard and.......
Have you considered lumberjacking Nige ? :wink:

Mike
Nige

Post by Nige »

Looked into Tree Surgery, but I think I'm a bit too old to start as it requires quite a high level of fitness, climbing, etc, I'm strong and have stamina but that's only on offer at ground level. Plus I've always got in the back of my mind that my old fella knee's where shagged by 55 by doing a physical job all his life.

Maybe something for the National Trust?
chickybok
DDK Fanatic

Post by chickybok »

I thought there would be more Designers... Every time I bump into another 356/912 owner in London - its odds on they are a 'Creative' in some way!

are all the Graphic Designer hiding?

I run a small design studio in Farringdon EC1.

David