Strange request for advice

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

abzadams
DDK rules my life!

Strange request for advice

Post by abzadams »

Not P car related but vehicle all the same.

I have been haveing this saga for over 2 years now, and am really wondering what to do next!

I bought a private reg for my mother for her 50th birthday, unfortuntaly she got rushed to hospital and subsiquently died just before her birthday. So I inherrited the plate. I ran it on a car some some time and decided to change the car. I was telling a friend of a friend about selling it and he said he wanted to look at it - and then bought it the next day. I told him the plate was not going with the car and he agreed to take the car and we would change it over.

I have been chasing this guy for 2 years to get the plate back and in January he called to say that he had blown the engine and if I wanted the plate he needed my V5 and £80 transfer fee, which I sent him straight away. I phoned him on an average of twice a week to see where we were at with it and he never returned my calls.

Fast forward to yesterday when he finally rang to say that the plate can not be transferred because the car has been SORN since January and the MOT ran out in Feb!

Does anyone know if there is anyway I can get the plate back, now that the MOT has expired? DVLA say a car needs an MOT to be able to transfer the plate.

TIA
Rich

Sepia 72 2.5T/E (gone)
2004 996 Turbo
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

You need an MOT :(

Sounds like your 'friend' has stiffed you. Good friend :evil:
cubist
The Fenland Feltcher

Post by cubist »

The plate stays with the car whether it's MoT'd or not. Have the car back - though knackered - and get it fixed enough for it to run under it's own power off a trailer and onto the test centre rollers. Get the ticket and it's yours again to transfer. Put the plate on the car of your choice and dump the shith-eap... worked for me :wink:
C U B I S T - 1 1 1 5

'83 Triumph Acclaim - 3sp Auto (cat D)
Singer 3232 - Titanium bobbin, Autothread
'67 Gresham Flyer - Puncture, rear
Sherbet Lemons - 4oz, loose
Motorola - PG 2000, locked
Grindon
Married to the DDK

Post by Grindon »

cubist wrote:The plate stays with the car whether it's MoT'd or not. Have the car back - though knackered - and get it fixed enough for it to run under it's own power off a trailer and onto the test centre rollers. Get the ticket and it's yours again to transfer. Put the plate on the car of your choice and dump the shith-eap... worked for me :wink:
What Cubist said - I had a similar problem and sorted it that way.

I would expect you to get the car back for nowt though !

Cheers,

Kevin
1962 356B S90 (1710cc, RHD)
1969 911T (with 73 2.4 911S motor, LHD)
1976 911 Targa 2.7 (fully rebuilt as 1988 3.3 Turbo Cabriolet (proper job), RHD)
1985 944 2.5 (early dash)
1988 924S (sold)
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Let me at your ' friend' for 30 mins and I'll teach him what being a friend actually means :evil:
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
sladey

Post by sladey »

Whats the value of the plate Rich?

Small claims court or the threat of it would be a good idea - but the practical idea of getting the car back and MOT'd is probably a better one
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
Nige

Post by Nige »

Bootsy wrote:Let me at your ' friend' for 30 mins and I'll teach him what being a friend actually means :evil:
Go for it girlfriend.

I love a cat fight.
East Coast Dave
Married to the DDK

Post by East Coast Dave »

Let me at him, let me at him
Ooh look, Bootsy's gone all Scrappy Doo.

You tell him Tiger. :wink:
"Let's be careful out there"

SOLD:
1968 LHD 912 targa
& some veedubs
(to pay for growing family - and house!)
cubist
The Fenland Feltcher

Post by cubist »

Bootsy wrote:Let me at your ' friend' for 30 mins and I'll teach him what being a friend actually means :evil:
Too bloody right - I couldn't sit for a week but Bettsy sure taught me a lesson i'll never forget...
C U B I S T - 1 1 1 5

'83 Triumph Acclaim - 3sp Auto (cat D)
Singer 3232 - Titanium bobbin, Autothread
'67 Gresham Flyer - Puncture, rear
Sherbet Lemons - 4oz, loose
Motorola - PG 2000, locked
abzadams
DDK rules my life!

Post by abzadams »

thanks for info.

Getting the car back is not an option, the engine has blown, he has sold the full interior (full leather Recaro), wheels have been sold and a few other bits, it's also quite far away from me now!

As for the plates value, I don't know to be honest, its LNLLL (L-Letter, N-Number!) - but it's not about the money more about the personal attachment to it.

Thanks again.
Rich

Sepia 72 2.5T/E (gone)
2004 996 Turbo
sladey

Post by sladey »

If it's in scotland it's also a different legal system. If it's in England/Wales then you could try in the small claims court. I'm really not sure how you would get on - an element would be to what extent you contributed to the delay in transferring (although that shouldn't affect his agreement to transfer it to you) and showing that you'd agreed with him in the first place that the number would come back to you.

Even after that you'd be looking for an order that the court compels him to transfer it to you - basically making him get an MOT and do the rest. Sorry I'm not being much help here but it's a bit of a messy one.

From what others were saying getting the car back and a contribution towards being able to transfer it is your only option - and if you can't agree that then the court might be an option.

Did you get the pics I sent you Rich?

Cheers

Mark
sladey

Post by sladey »

abzadams wrote:thanks for info.
but it's not about the money more about the personal attachment to it.
Money will rear it's head though I'm afraid because it's about how much money you want to spend to get the plate back.
jb
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by jb »

Close the door on the whole episode and only look forward.
It will either p155 you off that you have not got it or constantly remind you of the hassle - both will raise your BP.
Keep it simple - grieve for your mum and get another plate that does not remind you of the whole episode.
Over the years I have found that reducing the hassle is a really good move.
sladey

Post by sladey »

Wise advice there
abzadams
DDK rules my life!

Post by abzadams »

sladey wrote:I

Did you get the pics I sent you Rich?
Sent you a PM back!

Jason, you are right and that is exactly what I have been thinking about over the weekend - a harsh lesson!
Rich

Sepia 72 2.5T/E (gone)
2004 996 Turbo