You asked for it... my 1971 Renault 8S

The place to post images of your other cars.

Moderator: Bootsy

jamie
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

You asked for it... my 1971 Renault 8S

Post by jamie »

I still don't think this is the place for such behaviour, but enough people have asked...

As some of you will know, I sold a very nice, low-mile, blood-orange 1972 911T back in January. I intended to buy another 911 right away, probably an SC, but couldn't find anything I liked in my low price bracket. So I got impatient and bought... a Renault. In fact, I bought three - I thought I could make something of the first two, but they were a decade beyond screwed.

The car below is my 'third-time lucky'. I've owned it since March. It has 38k on the clock and is in amazing shape, like the 911.

I'm a German car person at heart, but I got interested in Renault 8s in particular when I saw a Gordini in Portugal just over a year ago. I knew I wanted one, but not enough to actually buy one. Then I kind of lost the plot and bought one anyway. Two weeks after buying it, Paul Ferryman invited me on a trackday at Goodwood. I chopped the springs, put on my Arai, and hammered-out some very frantic, scary laps.

Soon after, I bought some proper adapters to fit lowering springs, then fitted a harness and the Momo Prototipo from the 911. I also put it on 13x5 and 13x6 Gotti Bimetal replicas. Like the spring adapters, they were built by a bloke in a shed in Cheshire - there is no Pelican Parts for early Renaults.

Shortly after I got the car, a friend gave me a GT Turbo motor. It was junk, but it gave me the idea of turbo'ing the car, so I bought another which I am currently rebuilding. I'm having problems at the moment - I rebuilt the head only to find no.1 spark plug socket was mashed to bits and unrepairable, so I've had to buy another. Once complete, the GTT should go straight in on the existing mounts, giving somewhere between 120 and 160 bhp to 700kg of car.

Before I fit the engine, I want to servo the brakes and build an uprated gearbox using the internals from a 16TS box, because the current one will explode if you try to run any sort of torque through it.

How does it compare to the 911? The 911 was so obviously designed by perfectionists and over-engineered by craftsmen. The 8 was designed by madmen and built like crap by tightfisted industrialists. The build-quality is appalling, the panel fit is tragic, the engineering is right to the edge of what-you-can-get-away-with. But in the same way a Porsche isn't just a great car because it's designed and built well, the Renault isn't a bad car because of these things. It's exciting to drive, looks totally mental and invokes some sort of irrational positive emotional response that means I just absolutely love it.

I've grown-up fascinated by Porsche, and I will have another, but right now this strange contraption is everything I want out of my car addiction...

Who'd-a though it?
'68 912
cubist
The Fenland Feltcher

Post by cubist »

Beautiful and fugly at the same time... my kind of car!
C U B I S T - 1 1 1 5

'83 Triumph Acclaim - 3sp Auto (cat D)
Singer 3232 - Titanium bobbin, Autothread
'67 Gresham Flyer - Puncture, rear
Sherbet Lemons - 4oz, loose
Motorola - PG 2000, locked
Ferry Man
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Ferry Man »

I'm lovin those wheels Jamie.
Really cool looking. 8)

Like the harness too.
And that Prototipo suits it a treat.
Excellent work. :)
Paul

'74 Porsche 911 Carrera 2.7 (MFI) - Lime Green
'94 Porsche 911 Carrera 2 (993) - Mexico Blue
left4dead

Post by left4dead »

I have never seen anything like it, never seen anything like it, I've never seen anything like it in my life... :lol: 8)

The panel gaps displayed in the second photo down are really something to behold - a real testament to the artisan involved :wink:

Gawd bless ya Jamie :drunken:
Steve

1 x '67S, 3 x 2.4S all RHD

A privilege & pleasure to have owned them all.
Ferry Man

Re: You asked for it... my 1971 Renault 8S

Post by Ferry Man »

jamie wrote:I chopped the springs, put on my Arai, and hammered-out some very frantic, scary laps.
I remember following Jamie on track that day and those rear wheels were at some alarming angles.
It's quick enough though. Respect. :lol:

Paul

Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Great photos & story Jamie - looks to be in amamzing condition (for an R8 anyway!).

I'm a great fan of R8's having owned 4 or 5 including a Gordini (& restored a 1300G-engined Alpine A110).

At one time I had a tuned R5 (non-turbo) engine in my car whilst I rebuilt the original Gordini engine - the 'wizard' with these engines back then was a guy called Salv Sacco - don't know if he's still around.

Look forward to seeing the car in the flesh sometime.
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
decapman
DDK slapper chatter

Post by decapman »

I Love all French Cars Jamie

How about a Matra DJet next time?

Looks like you could probably squeeze in through the door gaps without having to open the doors, saves vital seconds in those Le Mans starts!
Marcus
1967 RHD 911S
1958 Fiat Abarth Zagato 750 Competition Corsa
1956 356a "die Ratte"
1972 Mercedes 280S
2014 BMW X3 2.0SE
1974 914 2.0
992 C2S
1955 Continental Cabriolet
1968 Citroen DS21
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

this is possibly a dangerous thing to say given what happened to you, but.. I like them a lot, not enough to want to buy one, but.. :lol:

great looking car, love the colour and the wheels are super cool!..

i've always fancied an A110 apline, which i guess are the french answer to a 911, but i've sat and watched the prices go up and up over the last 10years.. they're beautiful little cars and perform so well in the right hands

b :)
Bertroex
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by Bertroex »

Jamie,

What you squeezed out of that car is amazing; pictures are, well, stunning.

The only concern- and I am honestly worried here- are those seats without headrest...It sends a shiver down my spine seeing you towering over that backrest.

Anyway, many happy miles:)

Bert
-1968 912 SWB Targa LHD
-1976 911 Carrera 3.o Targa RHD
-1983 944 190bhp (augment automotive enhanced) RHD
-1979 280SLC manual LHD, 1989 500SL, 1997 SL500, 1989 Jag XJ-s 3.6, old BMW’s
-Ex 1976 911 2.7 Targa, 1979 911 SC, 1983 930,1993 964 C4 Jubi etc
Nige

Post by Nige »

true it must be tiny Jamie's a bit petite.
jamie

Post by jamie »

Lightweight_911 wrote:Great photos & story Jamie - looks to be in amamzing condition (for an R8 anyway!).

I'm a great fan of R8's having owned 4 or 5 including a Gordini (& restored a 1300G-engined Alpine A110).

At one time I had a tuned R5 (non-turbo) engine in my car whilst I rebuilt the original Gordini engine - the 'wizard' with these engines back then was a guy called Salv Sacco - don't know if he's still around.

Look forward to seeing the car in the flesh sometime.
Cheers Andy. Yep, Salv is still around, building engines. I considered a 1300 Gordini motor after Hagerty said I couldn't run a turbo. Then Phil told me I could, and should, and I decided it had to be GT Turbo. Bit more modern, less precious, exciting turbo whoosh.
'68 912
Ferry Man

Re: You asked for it... my 1971 Renault 8S

Post by Ferry Man »

jamie wrote:it gave me the idea of turbo'ing the car
Here's Jamie wondering... will a turbo fit in here? :lol:

Paul

jamie

Post by jamie »

... or 'why won't this f***ing piece of tat start when it's white hot?'.

My conclusion: Some genius positioned the carb right above the exhaust manifold.
'68 912
fourteener
DDK rules my life!

Post by fourteener »

I reckon it's stunning in the same boxy way an Alfa Giulia is. Great colour too.
James.

914-6 facsimile
rebuild your 911 tensioners
jury
I need to get out more!

Post by jury »

Love it! looks great, liking what you've done...

Just got back from the Alps and came across this (Dauphine?) riding into Morzine. Just sat there with the windows down as the keys in the ignition...

(photos are stills from my flip video, so not that great)

Thanks
Chris
# 465

1967 912 Polo Red
1968 912/11 RAL 7001 ' MOD ROD '
1990 964 C2 Velvet Red
1991 VW Vanagon GL (SOLD - Vanagone)
2017 Coleman CT200U

“It’s not where you’re from, it's where you’re at”