New Apple iPhone in Dec?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

i spend most of my time around towns and villages, but i've found o2 better than any other supplier to date; i've been been with t-mobile (shocking) orange (good but bloody expensive) and vodaphone (as orange) in the last 5 years and to be honest some of them might/probably have upgraded their networks since i left them, but i do like o2..

i rarely go over my contract mins by more than 3 or 4 quid a month (and i use it for everythign) good customer service, good coverage, etc.. i like them and have no intention of switching for the foreseable

can't comment on roaming charges as i travel mostly with work and have a company mobile. if i go somewhere on holiday (usually central europe) i drop into a shop and pick up a local pay as you go sim to use as its way cheaper.. also people in the uk can call it through an international dialer which is cheaper for them too.. i have a roladex full of them for all different countries i've visited :lol:

b :)
sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by sladey »

What Gary said.

I used the tomtom app to guide me up to the hotel on the first night - worked surprisingly well - occasionally it thought I was driving through alongside the road instead of on it though. Considering where it thought I was driving (i.e. through the middle of buildings) I thought it remained remarkably calm.

For checking coverage I would say you're best finding someone on O2 and checking with them - ask to borrow their phone for a day
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Post by impmad2000 »

I'm still confused, what I-phone actually has GPS ? I mean real GPS, not this WI-FI and Network assisted approximation.... something that actually works in the middle of nowhere ?
I'd need a good reason to upgrade from my N95, and the bigger I-phone screen just about does it...
Tim
Tim Bennett
RHD Targa 2.2T EFI, Triumph ITB's, EDIS and Megasquirt.
"Old enough to know what's right and young enough not to choose it"
defianty
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by defianty »

Tim, the current two iPhones both have GPS internally. They do not rely on triangulation. I think what confuses some people is the inbuilt maps application that relies on a phone signal to download the maps, unlike tomtom etc that include the maps in the application. HTH
Last edited by defianty on Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen

1973 914 3.0 GT Build Progress
1974 TR6

914 Rear Alignment Shims
impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Post by impmad2000 »

defianty wrote: the current two iPhones both have GPS internally.
3G and 3GS ?
Tim Bennett
RHD Targa 2.2T EFI, Triumph ITB's, EDIS and Megasquirt.
"Old enough to know what's right and young enough not to choose it"
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

...and a I have a work around I perfected on the C2C for the lack of built in maps and patchy signal out on the moors.

Programme your next destination whilst you have a good signal, press the location button and give it a few seconds whilst the GPS nails your location. Then scroll your way along the route and it will load all the maps into the cache. Maybe zoom in at your destination for a bit more detail if you need it later.

Then press the location button again and it will follow the cached maps even without a signal to download more information. If you don't have a cached map you just get a blue line on a grey screen with a flashing dot! The game is then to keep the dot on the line when you get to a junction :wink:

Both 3G and 3GS have GPS, I have a 3GS and love it. Expensive but worth every penny. The 02 3G internet speed is faster than the 'broadband' connection we have at work...
defianty
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by defianty »

impmad2000 wrote:
defianty wrote: the current two iPhones both have GPS internally.
3G and 3GS ?
Yep as Gary says. :)
Stephen

1973 914 3.0 GT Build Progress
1974 TR6

914 Rear Alignment Shims
hot66

Post by hot66 »

so Orange have got the i-phone. Appears to be no news on availability or pricing yet.... do I have the patience ? :?
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
King_Jut
Married to the DDK

Post by King_Jut »

AHHHH MAN!!!!!

I almost bought one yesterday! Things like that never happen to me! I'v been with Orange for over 10 years, and the only issue I have is that I get very little to no signal at home.

Hopefully there will be a price war, I just hope they don't stick a stupid Orange logo on it!
hot66

Post by hot66 »

James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
964RS

Post by 964RS »

woo hoo....watch the prices plummet! Iphones have been selling like hot cakes for 02...the others will be desparate to compete and get a slice of the action....hopefully prices of itouch will now plummet too...don't want the phone just a better browser than blackberry
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

Ian Donkin
DDK rules my life!

Post by Ian Donkin »

At work we are O2 corporate customers, so as a side benefit employees enjoy 30% off their retail tariff on a friends and family basis - whilst the 3GS is specifically excluded, a free 3G iPhone and unlimited data and WiFi for £24 / month was just to good to miss so we bagged two a couple of weekends ago.

I've only downloaded a few apps thus far, but am totally sold on it as a single piece of kit that can do all I need - brilliant 8)
2006 RHD 997 Carrera (but DDK remains in my heart - also now no longer)
1972 LHD 2.4T with '73 2.4T CIS motor - gone to a new DDK home
1994 RHD 993 Carrera - gone!
1968 LHD 911L - was the Wife's but now in new hands :-(

sladey

Post by sladey »

It is indeed brilliant - never underestimate the power of usability and coolness
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
964RS

Post by 964RS »

Ian Donkin wrote:At work we are O2 corporate customers, so as a side benefit employees enjoy 30% off their retail tariff on a friends and family basis - whilst the 3GS is specifically excluded, a free 3G iPhone and unlimited data and WiFi for £24 / month was just to good to miss so we bagged two a couple of weekends ago.

I've only downloaded a few apps thus far, but am totally sold on it as a single piece of kit that can do all I need - brilliant 8)
Can i be your friend?!!! I know an 02 shop that will do it :)
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

Ian Donkin
DDK rules my life!

Post by Ian Donkin »

964RS wrote:
Ian Donkin wrote:At work we are O2 corporate customers, so as a side benefit employees enjoy 30% off their retail tariff on a friends and family basis - whilst the 3GS is specifically excluded, a free 3G iPhone and unlimited data and WiFi for £24 / month was just to good to miss so we bagged two a couple of weekends ago.

Can i be your friend?!!! I know an 02 shop that will do it :)
They'll all do it Jason - we just both have to be present!
2006 RHD 997 Carrera (but DDK remains in my heart - also now no longer)
1972 LHD 2.4T with '73 2.4T CIS motor - gone to a new DDK home
1994 RHD 993 Carrera - gone!
1968 LHD 911L - was the Wife's but now in new hands :-(