Le Mans Classic - has anyone here competed ?

Chitter chatter about Porsche Motorsport -race meets, hillclims etc.

Moderator: Bootsy

Beaks
DDK Fanatic

Le Mans Classic - has anyone here competed ?

Post by Beaks »

Hi , love the idea of competing in this - I have a '72 S and it would appear that it should be eligible - wondering if anyone out there has competed previously.

Basic comprehension of eligibility is ; "He must own - or share - a car, or sister car, which competed in the Le Mans 24 Hours between 1923 and 1979." I believe in 71 a 2.4S competed , thus hope I can get in via "sister car" , but just started investigating , so any help would be fantastic !
1972 2.4S , Viper Green , disguised as an ST
1972 2.4S ( Silver )
Helen
Events Organiser

Post by Helen »

think we have at least 2 DDKers who have competed in this. and then there is also Andy Prill who although he dosn't post on DDK often visits us.
member#1182
Currently Porscheless but on the look out for my 30th
pmjt
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by pmjt »

It's a little more subtle than that - the organisers want a 'spread' of types on the track - it'd be easy to get a field FULL of 911's but people want to watch other period cars, 914-6 etc.

My take on eligibility was that they WOULD stretch the rules as you describe to get the rarer models in - but for the more common models, direct history is needed.

So if you convince the organisers, then you need to have an International B race license, support, etc., etc.

Yes, I looked into it for 2008 and nearly bought a 914-6 with history and eligibility - but it requires incredibly deep pockets :lol:

Philip
--
DDK Member #890
Beaks
DDK Fanatic

Post by Beaks »

hmmm... all looking positive ( ish ) until the mention of deep pockets !! I think I will take it to a track day or 2 at Le Mans, pretend I'm racing and watch Classic Le Mans as a visitor next year instead !! Thanks very much for info.
1972 2.4S , Viper Green , disguised as an ST
1972 2.4S ( Silver )
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

Beaks wrote:hmmm... all looking positive ( ish ) until the mention of deep pockets !! I think I will take it to a track day or 2 at Le Mans, pretend I'm racing and watch Classic Le Mans as a visitor next year instead !! Thanks very much for info.
I think most of DDK will be there watching as well! 8)
Auf Weidersehen Pete
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Auf Weidersehen Pete »

I raced last year - but in a '52 Aston DB2/4, sharing with my dad. It was totally awesome especially the night session. There's nowhere else you can go flat out in the middle of the night - and it was serious wheel to wheel racing. Great fun.

As Philip said, your car would need good history to get in and there is no shortage of 911's... I think the 914/6 route would be fantastic if you could find one with racing provenance.

Alternatively, put the word out and try for a shared drive?
Best of luck - hope you get an entry!
Pete