Where to take the kids for 4 weeks ????

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

964RS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Where to take the kids for 4 weeks ????

Post by 964RS »

Ok here goes…..

In the fortunate position to have sold my businesses recently and decided to take the summer off and spend more time with the family (pay back for not being so good at that for last 10 years!).

We have been thinking about going away for the whole of August and initial thoughts were fill the Grand Voyager with the tent and go to France etc

However we have just had 2 weeks on the Costa Brava in Spain and it was stupidly expensive - £9 for 3 ice creams is just mad and £5 for a beer not much better!

So I’ve started thinking should we go somewhere else for the 4 weeks that may be more expensive to get there but a better proposition (for the money) as a holiday where I can relax without thinking ‘how much is this costing us’ every 10 minutes.

I’ve not travelled very extensively (USA and Europe only really) so really not much of an idea where to start considering.

Things to bear in mind:

1. I have 3 children 9, 6 and 4
2. Their idea of a good time is playing and going in the pool….not shopping or looking at coloseums…they are just not old enough to care about any of that yet.
3. They can do 10 hour flights but not much more – they have been to Disneyland in Orlando (child mecca) and handled that fine

I’ll probably never get the chance to do this in my lifetime again so would appreciate your pointers if you have done this before or have travelled a lot?

HELP!

Jason
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

james912
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by james912 »

Hi Jason,

We did the same thing last year and spent a month in seattle, vancouver and whistler. It was a great place to be and the trip was a great success. Everyone we met were very friendly and there were lots of things to do in the surrounding areas, especially in whistler.

I'm not too sure how easy/viable it may be for kids to be traveling around, but some of the scenery around there is fantastic and the campsites we encountered in whistler were well catered for and clean etc.

There is loads of mountain biking around the area or you can relax in the one of the spa's there :-)

We also spent just over a month in Thailand a couple of years ago and met many people who were traveling around with their kids, but it is a place you have to travel in and may not be a good idea with 3 kids, but definitely worth a look if you want something a bit different. People are very friendly and cheap to eat, get around etc. (Internal flights are about £26) You can also stay in 5* spa hotels for about £40 a night if you want to relax in style.

Have you thought about staying in the UK? Camping in the new forest is always a good place to be and some of the campsites are great.

Not sure if any of this really helps too much but might give you some ideas on destinations.

James
---------------------
James
1969 White (Originally Burgundy) )912
59 Grande Punto D Sporting(Daily)
57 Smart
Mike Usiskin
DDK rules my life!

Post by Mike Usiskin »

Hi Jason,

In a past life I travelled extensively and while much of it was in places you'd never want to imagine i was able to take the family to some wonderful places. My girls are now 6 and 4. I can recommend South America, especially Argentina, they're mad for kids, some of the warmest folk anywhere, can't do enough, the food is to die for and value for money is 'still' good. Also New Zealand, though distant you can break the journey in Malaysia as we did and stay in a resort complete with monkeys, great food and ever attentive staff. Also your Pound goes along way. New Zealand is a class apart IMHO though maybe too much scenery based for the young 'uns, we hired a camper van for 4 weeks and had a wonderful visit. just my opinions of course :) :)

Mike
former owner, still hoping to be reunited with my STOLEN 1972 911T/E 2.4 . Keep looking guys

No Hydrocarbons were hurt in the sending of this mail. Thanks

Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Hemsby is quite nice in the summer :P
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
silver911
Married to the DDK

Post by silver911 »

Based on what may be a brilliant summer here I'd stay in the UK and explore the outer reaches of Scotland...

Exploring in a kid manner.. so a nice camper/ tent by a wonderful sandy beach...rock pools...boating.. generally messing about and not being bothered by diddly squat.

At least that's what we did as kids...4 weeks was never enough.
chickybok
DDK Fanatic

Post by chickybok »

Look up Montréal and Quebec.... Just stunning.

Just has everything for Kids and Big Kids!

We split our time between a city stay (Montreal) and a log cabin with a canoe.
Mike Usiskin
DDK rules my life!

Post by Mike Usiskin »

chickybok wrote: a canoe.
oh yes, bring it on, I want one of those hats with a tail :lol: got to say , never been to Canada but would love to.
former owner, still hoping to be reunited with my STOLEN 1972 911T/E 2.4 . Keep looking guys

No Hydrocarbons were hurt in the sending of this mail. Thanks

silver911
Married to the DDK

Post by silver911 »

Based on what may be a brilliant summer here I'd stay in the UK and explore the outer reaches of Scotland...

Exploring in a kid manner.. so a nice camper/ tent by a wonderful sandy beach...rock pools...boating.. generally messing about and not being bothered by diddly squat.

At least that's what we did as kids...4 weeks was never enough.
pb911
DDK slapper chatter

Post by pb911 »

with 3 kids I can say cornwall great , south america is fanataistc and great value (BA to Buenos Aires) or try Barbados , amazing kid friendly beaches and not as pricey as you think.

Paul
decapman
DDK slapper chatter

Post by decapman »

Hi Jason
Like many of the above we have travelled extensively with young kids
They are now 11 and 12.

I thoroughly agree with silver 911.

Both tell me that the best times they have are when they can have a little bit of freedom and independance which means an environment that you are comfortable with too and other kids around where they can make friends and be entertained.
They have been to nearly every European country, Japan, US several times, South Africa etc etc

Camping in France was a real hit. The site has to have a pool where they can shriek and lark about.
For your sanity it needs to be near some larger towns where you can get a decent meal and maybe do day trips out.

Many sites have wood chalets that they let out , these are quite comfortable.

We did a trip round Scandinavia and stayed at a number of different sites, that could work too, say a week in each going round France and Germany, just dont try to cram too much in.

The other favourite is a holiday in somewhere like St Ives. Terrific food, stunning beaches, lots to do in the area even if it does rain. I fear though that it might be too late now to get something decent in Cornwal.

What a great opportunity though
Marcus
1967 RHD 911S
1958 Fiat Abarth Zagato 750 Competition Corsa
1956 356a "die Ratte"
1972 Mercedes 280S
2014 BMW X3 2.0SE
1974 914 2.0
992 C2S
1955 Continental Cabriolet
1968 Citroen DS21
RichiRich
Married to the DDK

Post by RichiRich »

My vote goes for the USA or Canada - there are so many great things to see and it doesn't have to cost the earth. You could rent a RV if you could stand the pressure.
2000 996 Turbo
Speed Yellow / Black

Ex - 2003 996 3.6 Carrera 4S
Arctic Silver / Black

Ex - 1992 964 3.3 Turbo X33 (#777)
Midnight Blue / Classic Grey
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

Scotland
Croatia
Ireland

Just thoughts

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
chickybok
DDK Fanatic

Post by chickybok »

ohhh canoes - wheres that image...
Last edited by chickybok on Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chickybok
DDK Fanatic

Post by chickybok »

ok - me in a Canoe - Not a Kayak

Canada is the way to go!
left4dead

Post by left4dead »

chickybok wrote:ok - me in a Canoe - Not a Kayak

Canada is the way to go!
I'm seeing canoes but hearing banjos! :shock: :wink:
Steve

1 x '67S, 3 x 2.4S all RHD

A privilege & pleasure to have owned them all.