Daily driver advice

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

there is a way to tell whether the engine has been re-worked on an e39 or not from looking at the engine block, as some of the cars dont have records from the dealer, ie there is a service stamp in the book but no paperwork with the service details and the rework was done at that time as a matter of course..

pop over to the bmw5 forum, there is a lot of documentation there about this issue..

bmw5.co.uk
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

appeared this afternoon..
no leather but not a bad 'un by the looks of things!

click me
jonat127
DDK forever

Post by jonat127 »

Just thought I would update everybody on progress with my car hunt. I now have a very nice Volvo S80. It's just one year old and cost £15k which is precisely half the price for a similarly spec'd new one.
How, come you spent 15k when you said you were looking for something at a tenth of that price? I hear you say!
Well, the story goes like this:
Took my wife along to look at a couple of BMW's; a 7 and a 5. First one smelled like a pub apparently, and the second smelled of vomit. A lively debate ensued as to the merits of buying a cheap car and spending the balance on a new kitchen.
Much to my surprise she said buy a decent car, the kitchen can wait.
Encouraged by the test drive I had in an S40, when I was looking at cheapies, I looked at the bigger & newer Volvo's and found that the S80 is by far the most comfortable car on the market for a 6ft 4in heavyweight giant!
And, with it's 5 cylinder engine it sounds like an Audi quattro under hard acceleration.
I had to travel from Kent to Liverpool to collect my bargain but I had a very enjoyable drive home and had figured out most of the gadgets by the time I arrived.

1970 914-6 conversion
1977 Stag one of the last made
Vauxhall Mokka - Wifes car and unexpectedly good!
VW T5 camper - custom day van conversion