30's sports cars - Non-porsche

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Helen
Events Organiser

Post by Helen »

theres a blue car looks abit like those red ones. for sale just up the road from where i live. looks sweet but not sure i would want it.
i could go get a picture & price for you lot if you like.
member#1182
Currently Porscheless but on the look out for my 30th
Mike
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Mike »

If we're talking about a 1930's garage/hanger combination then it would have to be the MG K3 (pointed tail) in the garage, and one of the world most beautiful planes
a Beechcraft Staggerwing in the hanger!

I'd be quite happy with a Peter Gregory built replica K3 at about a £100,000 and there's a 1938 Staggerwing for sale in the States at the moment for the same price.
After seeing the prices at Essen they seem like bargains!

Mike
cheers, Mike.

previously..
1994 968 Club Sport Riviera Blue
1994 993 C2 Carrera Riviera Blue
1972 911S to Martini RSR Prototype Spec
1973 911E to RS Lightweight Specification
1981 924 Carrera GT ex Mexborough car
3.2 Carrera Sport x2
Dakota
DDK forever

Post by Dakota »

Hi All
thanks for sticking up the Picture of the Pilatus , they have an air cooled Argus inverted V12 engine and various sub assemblies taken straight from the Messerschmitt one o nine and you can take a friend up to terrify too and one is for sale for less than an Essen 2,4 S what incredible value , I think what are typically called war birds often represent value for money compared to rare cars and don't talk to me about Damien Hurst ..I would Ideally like a Messerscmitt one o nine E4 or an F model though would happily settle for an early G if you twisted my arm , its that or an A model Focke wulf one ninety even one of those new builds would be good , and if you are wondering what old German war planes have to do with OUR cars take a look at the Daimler Benz 601 aero engine in the science museum , its fuel injection pump may look strangely familiar, Bill.
I am a person of simple pleasures so if you don't have any simple pleasures to offer me, beer, pizza or Porsche bits etc kindly leave me be, XX.
higs356
DDK slapper chatter

Post by higs356 »

mmmm Bugati :)

My wife bought me tickets to the Australian GP a few yrs ago .The day of the practice sessions there was a 30s GP race with a fistfull of pale blue Bugatti's battling it out on the Albert Park Tarmac. Moss was piloting one of them . It started as a display but turned into a flat out race . It was one of the highlights of the event .
Cheers
Hig

I used to have a 72 911 I drove every day... Now I have projects...
'73 911 Track car ...being put back together
'59 Conv D... refit underway...Upholstery done !!
Mike Usiskin
DDK rules my life!

Post by Mike Usiskin »

thing is with these old things, I remember standing track side at CLM and seeing how bloody slow they were! gorgeous ? absolutely but slow. mind you we were hammered and Bootsy had wet himself by then :lol: :lol:
former owner, still hoping to be reunited with my STOLEN 1972 911T/E 2.4 . Keep looking guys

No Hydrocarbons were hurt in the sending of this mail. Thanks

Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

Mike Usiskin wrote:mind you we were hammered and Bootsy had wet himself by then :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol:

Slow in absolute terms, but I bet they don't feel it :) My only 30's experience (passenger) is a Blower Bentley (not a bad option if you have to pick a 1930's car :))

On a rainy day around that back roads of Cheshire it was completely bloody terrifying, although we were being overtaken by Astra diesels!

A truly magical motor though 8)
Winston Teague
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Winston Teague »

They are not slow, old people in moderns are slow. If you want to see some staggeringly beautiful, quick, sorted stuff go to VSCC Spring Start at Silverstone Tomorrow. Full programe of proper hard racing with full grids, big skids, no brakes, no roll hoops, lots of overtaking. Bugattis, Bentleys MGs etc. but dismiss all of these and seek out the Frazer Nashes, caterhams of their day, no diffs so big tail slides. 91 of them Going to Italian Dolomites this summer with little back up for a fourtnight of gratuitious pass storming.
Youve probably realised I'm Biased
Winston
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff