conventional ignition to get you home

An archive of any Porsche 911 technical threads

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

Orinoko
DDK Fanatic

conventional ignition to get you home

Post by Orinoko »

Whilst having my CDI box fixed by Tim I used a Bosch blue coil and condensor to keep her running.Just get hold of a codensor any will do I chose one with a long wire and a bracket with a hole so as to fit on the screw on the side of the distributor,fit a double spade connector to the wire which you fit to the dizzy spade (where the white wire goes )after removing white wire.Make two lengths of wire with female spade connectors at each end,fit one between the coil negative connector and the dizzy connector,connect the other between the coil positive and the two spade connector that feeds live to the CDI box (Trace back from the 3 pin connector on to the CDI unit and You will find this connector next)Its the red wire ,You will have to disconnect this 2 pin connector to push spade (insulated if poss)on so that will stop the CDI getting power.I removed the black standard coil(transformer?),its not suitable, and put the Bosch blue coil in its place,you can use any normal coil but the blue gives a better spark.Its not perfect but I did a 300 mile trip and she ran just fine.I would carry this as a get You home ,just mount the condensor round the back of the dizzy and leave the wire loose.Hope this helps ,John
Suck,Squeeze,Bang,Blow!!!!!
impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Post by impmad2000 »

Excellent John. If you need any help posting photos of the details I can help.
You CDI is going in the post today.
Cheers Tim
Tim Bennett
RHD Targa 2.2T EFI, Triumph ITB's, EDIS and Megasquirt.
"Old enough to know what's right and young enough not to choose it"
jaymatwhit
DDK above all

Post by jaymatwhit »

Not being electrically minded can I ask 2 probably dumb questions?

1. What is a CDI unit, is it the same as a CDS unit?

2. Will this fix work when my fantastic SILVER BOSCH Ignition Voltage Transformer (as I keep being told, looks like a coil to me mate) blows up AGAIN?

Jay :shock:
USA Spec 1972 911 2.4Te MFI
impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Post by impmad2000 »

CDI = Capacitive Discharge Ignition, probably exactly the same as a CDS, I have certainly heard both names for the same unit.
If your coil packs up, then you have no ignition. This system will allow you to run with a standard coil, but the performance will be reduced from the full CDI/CDS system.
Cheers
Tim
Tim Bennett
RHD Targa 2.2T EFI, Triumph ITB's, EDIS and Megasquirt.
"Old enough to know what's right and young enough not to choose it"