Bob Watson Rolling Road Session - No 2

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

hot66

Bob Watson Rolling Road Session - No 2

Post by hot66 »

Just got back from another 400 mile round trip for a session on the rolling road down at Bob Watson .... the purpose of this visit was to get the new rebuilt MFI pump set up and see if things have changed now the new chains have had time to bed in / stretch .

Journey went pretty well, although was having terrible trouble with the throttle not closing fully ( more of this later :roll: )

I last visited in July 2007 :

http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewto ... bob+watson

Bob's place is always full of interesting toys & I noticed a couple of other DDK cars.

The car that got my attention was this superb chevy van

Look at that engine & tube chassis 8)

Anyway, Bob quickly got to work checking through all the induction system to make sure all was set correctly + checked the timing etc

Then it was time to strap down the car

After a couple of half runs Bob got the pump adjusted & then for the 3rd run we were ready for a full power run.

If you've never stood behind your car on a rolling road .... it is a scary proposition ..... shame this video doesn't quite show the energy involved :shock:

(click on the picture for the video + excuse the sound quality, my mobile phone couldn't cope)

That run was the only full power one we did .... but it made me smile, here are the numbers

204.53hp @ 6900 rpm

216Nm @ 5690 rpm

8) 8) 8)

Must say, I'm pretty chuffed at that ;)

BUT , the sticking throttle :evil: .. after a lot of investigation we found the problem to be with the newly overhauled pump. For whatever reason the bit the throttle rod operates on the pump has quite a bit of stiction. Result is I'm going to have to remove the pump & send it back to Tower to get sorted.

For the drive home Bob added an extra spring to pull the throttle shut & told me to take it easy.

Biggest scare of the day ? ..... having a little fun on the motorway on the return journey, smacked into the rev limiter in 3rd and then the engine sounded as rough as hell & would not pull :? :? .. with Bobs leaving words in my mind I thought I'd done some damage. After a quite stressfull period of time I managed to get onto the A1 where I could pull over & found one of the throttle linkages had popped off :shock: .. no harm done & the engine lived to have some fun with a turbo'd celica ;)

As always , fully recommend taking your down to Bob's, especially if you have MFI. You'll soon recoup the cost with the fuel savings :)
Last edited by hot66 on Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Derek
DDK rules my life!

Post by Derek »

204.53 BHP 8)
1970 911 3.6T
MrPerkles
DDK Fanatic

Post by MrPerkles »

Hello Hot66
my cars at Bobs he said he had one more to sort out before he got onto mine so I hope it was yours as I want mine back now :)
nice dyno results well done :wink:
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

You are so right about Bob. He did my hillclimber back in 91 on webers (2.2), then in 93 when on MFI (2.4E) and then in 96 (3.2) when on elecronic injection.

Every one a dream. :drunken:
He has a special task coming up, bit like that Chevy....

When my hot Impreza ran 380 bhp/ 400 lbft on a 4x4 RR @ 8500rpm the shear din and the writhing has to be seen.

Hair raising stuff as you say.

Good luck with the pump. :)
hot66

Post by hot66 »

I saw your car there ... looking good :) .

I think you can blame other DDK'ers for the hold up on yours .. seemed to be a white RS rep hogging the ramps.
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

jamie
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jamie »

Over 200bhp! Awesome result chief :)
'68 912
Paul64
DDK above all

Post by Paul64 »

I'm booked in again on Monday morning - hopefully, there'll be a bit more power this time after a good few km have passed under the wheels....!

Paul
1972 Carrera RS 2.7 (0024)
1992 MB 500E (It's a Porsche!!)
2007 Smart Fortwo CDI
Charlie McLaughlin
DDK Seasoned Poster

Bobs Cars

Post by Charlie McLaughlin »

Yes, he's also got my 72 T Targa at the moment, looking at some oil leaks.. hope to get it back after my skiing hols next week...

Saw him run up the race car whilst I was there, very loud and powerful, over 500 BHP.

Cheers

Charlie
1972 T targa ( US spec) Light Yellow, just the one car for the time being.... A classic like its owner... Gone to new home in France, have to make do with a 996 Turbo ( Guards Red)
johndglynn
DDK forever

Post by johndglynn »

Brilliant James, what a top result!
Nige

Post by Nige »

Good numbers James, will we see it Saturday? if so can you take me for a spin? never been in a 'old' one
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

were you expecting a bigger headline number with the rebuilt pump, or was it actually working quite well before the rebuild? Or have you got bigger torque further down the rev range from the pump rebuild?

Graham
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

also...my pump has just been redone by Fred. Can you feel the sticktion in your rack by hand? Mine's still off, I can check it before it goes on.

Graham
IanMcLeod
DDK rules my life!

Re: Bob Watson Rolling Road Session - No 2

Post by IanMcLeod »

hot66 wrote: After a quite stressfull period of time I managed to get onto the A1 where I could pull over & found one of the throttle linkages had popped off :shock: .. no harm done & the engine
I had the same problem for a while. In fact had to pull over a couple of times on the DDK Welsh weekend to re-attach. Anyway in the end I just popped the rod off at both ends, reversed it and re-attached. It hasn't done it since. I think the cups get a worn after a while hence they can pop off.

Ian.
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Nige wrote:Good numbers James, will we see it Saturday? if so can you take me for a spin? never been in a 'old' one
The porsche will be there (hopefully) .. although I might have it in bits at some point ... so when its running I'll take you out in it :)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

hot66

Post by hot66 »

gridgway wrote:were you expecting a bigger headline number with the rebuilt pump, or was it actually working quite well before the rebuild? Or have you got bigger torque further down the rev range from the pump rebuild?

Graham
Stock numbers for a 2.4S are 190bhp so anything above that is a bonus.

Last year I got 198bhp peak , but the car struggled at small throttle openings

With the new pump the car pulls all the way through the rev range smoothly, which makes the car more pleasant to drive , especially as all the power comes in from 4500 - 5000rpm. It is still a peaky engine, but thats what I love about the 'S's 8)

Re. the pump, you should be able to feel the stiction just by doing what John has done in the video he posted on the other thread
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster