Best Route to the Porsche Museum

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

911flyboy
Married to the DDK

Best Route to the Porsche Museum

Post by 911flyboy »

Not a thread for future events yet but some friends and i are hoping to go to the museum at the end of June. At the minute it is a pair of 911 T's with a Cayman (support vehicle me thinks) and having never driven down that way, i wondered if anybody has any good tips on the route, places to stay and what/where to avoid. If anybody fancies coming along then the more the merrier. Rich :lol:
Ian 2.2S
DDK rules my life!

Post by Ian 2.2S »

Rich
Invite sounds very tempting.
A place you really should also visit in that neck of the woods (well about 140 miles south west at Mulhouse in Alsace) is the Schlumpf Collection also known as the French National Auto Museum
htttp://www.collection-schlumpf.com/en/schlumpf/
Just look at the website, I don't need to tell you why you need to go. Then off along some great roads through the Vosges mountains.
I am sure Bert will chip in on this thread as he is bound to know many great places.
Ian
middlefour1
DDK rules my life!

Post by middlefour1 »

And don't forget the Mercedes Museum is not far away while you are in Stuttgart, is really is excellent.
Steve
1970 Silver 914 - Gone but never forgotten........
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

if you need some local knowledge of places to stay/eat drop me a PM and Ill get in touch with our german dealers; they have offices nearby so will know of a few nice places Im sure..

will be interested to hear your planned road-route as a friend and i are off to IAA Frankfurt again in the autumn, and we're thinking about driving it then heading down through germany to the porsche museum, munich, austria, northern italy, then across the s-coast of france and up the west to home.. bit of a mental roadtrip but we have a modern lux diesel barge to do it in so fairly stress free (hopefully :lol: )
garyw
DDK Fanatic

Post by garyw »

We came across Luxembourg which have some great roads to offer (and cheap fuel) although I second the schlumpf visit.
We stayed at the Sinsheim museum Hotel http://www.technik-museum.de/museum_sin ... utsch.html
From there its only a 20minute drive on the Autobahn into the Porsche museum.
Be aware of the German emissions traffic light disc which you 'should' have to gain access to many German cities including Stuttgart.
Mercedes Museum is great, it has safe parking underneath it, so no need to struggle to park on the road.

garyw
ninetenths
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by ninetenths »

Anyone been to the museum in Gmund in Austria?
KTM 690 SMC
Volvo V70
Defender 110
empty space for a 911 T in an underground carpark in Stockwell
RichiRich
Married to the DDK

Post by RichiRich »

garyw wrote:We came across Luxembourg which have some great roads to offer (and cheap fuel)

garyw
The petrol is probably not as cheap for you at the moment with the exchange rate:

Today's petrol €0.96, diesel €0.78 (which is cheap by any means :) )
2000 996 Turbo
Speed Yellow / Black

Ex - 2003 996 3.6 Carrera 4S
Arctic Silver / Black

Ex - 1992 964 3.3 Turbo X33 (#777)
Midnight Blue / Classic Grey