1961 356 T5b - 'rstytub'

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

marc500
DDK addict

1961 356 T5b - 'rstytub'

Post by marc500 »

I bought it via DDk in Jan 2009....

My aim is to get it MOT'd and UK registered this year!

Last edited by marc500 on Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

You've not wasted any time! Good luck with the plan. At this pace I'm sure you'll get it MOtd in no time.
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
left4dead
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by left4dead »

Hear, hear - what Bootsy said.

Glad you're keeping it sunkissed and as original as possible 8)

Keep us posted with the work and why don't you try and get it roadworthy by June? Then you can bring it along to Castle Hedingham - I, for one, would love to see it.

Good luck!
Last edited by left4dead on Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

1 x '67S, 3 x 2.4S all RHD

A privilege & pleasure to have owned them all.
58A - 71E
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by 58A - 71E »

Bloody hell, didnt you read the 356 resto manual? they're supposed to take years not weeks :lol:
Always liked the sunbaked patina of this one, MOT it and drive it 8)
James

'58 356A 1600n
'71 911E 2,2

marc500
DDK addict

Handbrake

Post by marc500 »

...picked up a handbrake mech from fellow ddk'er Graham last night - I'm gradually assembling what I think I'll need to get it through the MOT for action once its welded up!
streetwagens
Married to the DDK

Post by streetwagens »

I love this car.

I mean, a lot, its spot on, wish mine was earlier, I want this one! 8) 8)
Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

1961 T5b Rstytub

Post by Ignatzcatz »

Rock on Marc, hows it going mate
Porsche 356B T6 (modified), Porsche Macan Turbo , Porsche SSE, Dax 289 Cobra, Buell S2 Thunderbolt, Honda ST 70/125, Harley Davidson custom evo softail
porker914
DDK forever

Post by porker914 »

great series of photos but have to say a very brave man cutting out the whole floor and having it up on a car lift without bracing the car first!!!
1969 914 now crushed!!
1971 914 now sold
1973 914 now sold
1975 914 now sold
marc500
DDK addict

MOT'd

Post by marc500 »

...quick update: car went through MOT yesterday and I've now got it back home from the workshop...it's running a bit rough and the starter isn't turning that well, but it's back and I can start to tinker. Just waiting for the right customs forms now and then it's down to DVLA to try and get it registered...

Paint's a bit rough, but its got quite a bit of character 8) and it's rock solid underneath now...plus it stops and steers and makes a really good noise...all that stuff... I'm going to run it as is for a while and look at new paint next year..... full photo update on all the works at the same link as before....
marc500
DDK addict

Post by marc500 »

Quick update on what I've been up too for anyone that's interested!

I'm now firmly on the road when it isn't too icy/snowy/raining....I've got it running real nice now and it goes like a train.

Since my last update I've:

- sourced a new old dizzy from KK to replace the 009 mine came with. Cheers Richy. It was a bit crudded up but its cleaned up real well and has made a noteable improvement to the overall performance thru the mid-range, where it used to hesitate slightly. Nice.
- soured a new old n/s heat exchanger from PRServices. Cheers Mike. Yes you were right, it was a bitch to put in with the engine in the car! I've also now rigged up all my heater controls and get a toasty cabin now.
Strangely my car came to me with a straight thru J-tube on one side, and no heater controls I guess as it's not a concern in Arizona.
- Sourced a new rev counter from KK but now need a cable
- Fixed the speedo
- Spent ages trying to get the temp guage to work, finally accepting Mike was right and it isn't repairable.
- Done other small bits like put in right headlights, general fine tuning and lots of fiddling.

Next up:
- Going to put in a small fuel primer as I seem to loose all fuel out of the carbs within 48hrs or so if I turn the fuel cock off, making it a nightmare to restart...maybe I should just keep the fuel turned on all the time, but I'm thinking that it'd be best to have the option to turn fuel off if I'm not using it for a few days and then have the ability to start it easy after a few pumps of the primer. I'm going to move the inline fuel filter to down by the transmission, and I've also got a new alloy one to fit to replace the crappy looking plastic one I've got now.
- Other than that, I'm looking forward to some nicer weather and a few more long drives. Longer term, I guess I should sort out the paint, but that's for another day me thinks.

cheerio all.
58A - 71E

Post by 58A - 71E »

8) Always liked the look of this one, good to see it getting used and sorted
James

'58 356A 1600n
'71 911E 2,2

jb
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by jb »

I love this car.
I had one very like it - a '59 B in silver - it was my first Porsche - but my wife wasn't very happy with me as I went out in a nice Mini Cooper and came back with a tatty 356B that was full of dog hairs.
I like the paintwork like it is. It has lots of character.
Great to see that it has been rescued and is being used.
roy mawbey

Post by roy mawbey »

Nice colour silver on 356. Its nice when they run well isn't it. I notice your comment about the fuel primer. It does seem the unleaded evaporates very quickly from the float chambers when the car is left for some time.

As the fuel is gravity fed from the tank to the fuel pump its unlikely leaving the fuel tap in the "on" position on the petcock will make any difference. Its the fuel in the float chamber that needs replenishing and that must take place by turning over the engine and the mechanical fuel pump pushing it to the carbs.

In this cold weather it is important on the Zeniths that when you depress the accelerator pedal a few times fuel is squirted through the injection tubes ( 2 in each carb) that you can see if you take off the air cleaner and look straight down the top ( venturi ) of the carb. You can check this by first turning the motor over for about 5 seconds or so, then turning off, taking off an air cleaner then looking over the top of the carb whilst depressing the accelerator linkage arm down to the stop. Petrol should be seen to squirt from the small diameter injection tubes as you do this.

If its not a squirt but just a dribble, there is an accelerator suction valve that might not be workintg efficiently or possibly the jets located behind the injection tubes are dirty. ( the suction valve has a leather type seal working up and down in a cylinder to drag petrol up to the injectors.)

Also if your battery is not top notch the cranking speed in the cold will possibly be slower than when the engine is hot. I think it helps a lot to have a faster crank.

The fuel primer only IMHO works to do the same job as the accelerator suction valve, in a similar way that a 12v system overides some problems with the 6v if its not in good condition.

I might be old fashioned here as I suppose if there is an easy solution to overide a problem why not do it? However I wonder what happens if you depress the fuel priming plunger too many times and flood the carb?? Can this happen??

Roll on warmer weather :)

Roy

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
left4dead
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by left4dead »

jb wrote:I love this car. I like the paintwork like it is. It has lots of character.
Seconded. Keep the photos coming Marc :wink: 8)
Steve

1 x '67S, 3 x 2.4S all RHD

A privilege & pleasure to have owned them all.
marc500
DDK addict

Post by marc500 »

cheers for the comments! Its wierd with the fuel - I'm sure if I turn the fuel cock off, leave it for a few days, then it won't start... I end up squirting fuel into the top of the carbs to get it going. But if I leave the fuel cock on, leave it for a few days, then it starts nearly first turn. I have a couple of Solex's - I'm not sure if they have the same primer mech on them as Zeniths... I can't see anything like that on them. It feels as if I need some sort of primer...or more likely I'll just not turn off the fuel cock. Solved!