Beed Buying advice 2.2S or 2.4S

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

Boxer
DDK Newbie

Beed Buying advice 2.2S or 2.4S

Post by Boxer »

I have started looking for a UK registered LHD 911 2.2S or a 2.4S. Other than rust and the heat exhangers, what else should I look out for? Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
richkaz
DDK rules my life!

Post by richkaz »

Authenticity. Have an acknowledged 911 expert examine it and check out the engine and chassis numbers if you want a matching numbers car . Fork out £ 65.00 to Porsche for written confirmation that the car is correct.
Heat exchangers can be bought - authenticity can't :wink:
Richard
“Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three
decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good "..

1971 911 2.2T sold
1970 911 2.2S Sold but remains within DDK
1959 Lancia Flaminia PF Coupe
Nick Moss
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nick Moss »

what else should I look out for?
Wihout seeming fecitious, look out for everything. These cars were built over 35 years ago and lots have been crashed, restored, raced, gone rusty, been broken and the ID and engine have gone in different directions. Rust is the main issue after authenticity as it costs so much to fix correctly. Then look at the service history. A completely documented history is a comforting thing to see, even if the car has had one or two restorations. If the car has been restored who did the work, how extensive was it and were genuine panels used?

BTW you cannot get the numbers checked by Porsche, only the owner can do that, although some people do have access to that information especially if the car was an original UK supplied car.

BTW I have a LHD 2.4S for sale :roll:
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
Ian 2.2S
DDK rules my life!

Post by Ian 2.2S »

Ditto what Richard and Nick have said for originality and authenticity.

A lot also depends on your budget and expectations. There are some fabulous correct restorations out there, but they cost big bucks. However, buying a middle money car that turns out to need work can be a false ecconomy, as anything you do on these now seems to cost loads.
Are you wanting a restoration project or a car that is perfect straight out of the box?

Ian
richkaz
DDK rules my life!

Post by richkaz »

BTW you cannot get the numbers checked by Porsche, only the owner can do that, although some people do have access to that information especially if the car was an original UK supplied car.
I must have been lucky Nick. Last January I phoned Porsche UK and told them I was considering buying a car that was originally for the German market. The girl I spoke to told me I had to prove ownership for written confirmation but enquired what the chassis number was. She rang back 20 minutes later as promised and asked for the engine number.
She simply said according to her information the engine and chassis numbers matched the car but I would require proof of ownership if I wanted it confirmed in writing.
By the way the written confirmation only told me that the car was signal orange and was fiited with wheel arch trims :roll:
Not even the interior colour.
Its left for you to establish what engine and chassis numbers correspond to different models of 911.
Richard

1971 911 2.2T sold
hot66

Post by hot66 »

richkaz wrote: By the way the written confirmation only told me that the car was signal orange and was fiited with wheel arch trims :roll:
Not even the interior colour.
Its left for you to establish what engine and chassis numbers correspond to different models of 911.
Richard
If you ask them again, they will confirm exterior colour, interior colour, option extras etc etc + that the engine, gearbox & chassis numbers are the ones that left the production line together.

It took me 3 attempts to get all the correct information out of Porsche :lol: If you don't ask you don't get ;)

I've even managed to finally get details of the original supplying dealer in Italy. Unfortunalty for my car, thats where Porsche records end :(
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

it's also a question of deciding what you want from a car. You may decide that a full numbers matching, full history original or restored S is what you want. In a way they are the easiest to go for. If you are going to pay top price, you need to be able to check it all out from the paperwork through to having it thoroughly inspected.

If you want a decent, but not top spec car, it's actually harder. You wont necc need mathcing numbers, but you'll want to have enough history to verify what you have got. Then again a thorough inspection to see it all matches.

Graham
Last edited by gridgway on Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boxer
DDK Newbie

Post by Boxer »

Gentlemen, Thanks for all the advice. My initial thoughts on the ideal car would be a LHD matching number 2.4S in what I would call presentable condition. Mechanically it would need to be in very good condition, little to no rust, and "liveable" paint and decent interior. I am not looking for a concours queen by any stretch. I am much more of an enthuastic driver and a reluctant polisher.
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

By the way, Nick's LHD S looks very close to what you are describing!

http://www.early911.co.uk/html/sales.html

How does it match up to what you want.

Graham
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

By the way, Nick's LHD S looks very close to what you are describing!

How does it match up to what you want?

Whoops, double post!

Graham
left4dead

Post by left4dead »

gridgway wrote:By the way, Nick's LHD S looks very close to what you are describing!

Graham
I agree, Nick's 2.4S is a mighty fine car - and it's faster than some other 2.4s's I could mention. No names (but it's not silver... or green!) :wink: :lol:

Seriously though, you'd be mad not to consider Nick's car :drunken:
Steve

1 x '67S, 3 x 2.4S all RHD

A privilege & pleasure to have owned them all.
richkaz
DDK rules my life!

Post by richkaz »

Yes, Nicks green 911S looks nicely patinated and has a great period looking interior. Looks very reasonably priced !
Just compare it to this Stateside low mileage 2.4S at just $ 135,000 :shock:

1971 911 2.2T sold
hot66

Post by hot66 »

left4dead wrote:
gridgway wrote:By the way, Nick's LHD S looks very close to what you are describing!

Graham
I agree, Nick's 2.4S is a mighty fine car - and it's faster than some other 2.4s's I could mention. No names (but it's not silver... or green!) :wink: :lol:

or yellow !! :shock: :lol:
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
left4dead

Post by left4dead »

hot66 wrote:
left4dead wrote:

Graham

or yellow !! :shock: :lol:
Apologies James, and, of course, not yellow either! :wink: :lol:
Steve

1 x '67S, 3 x 2.4S all RHD

A privilege & pleasure to have owned them all.
Boxer
DDK Newbie

Post by Boxer »

Graham
Thanks for the tip. I will take a look at it. My budget is GBP 30k max (would like to be able to spend a little bit more but with a very "lean" bonus and this economy, stretching is not an option)