For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

pillay2k
DDK Fanatic

Nylon Fuel Tubing?

Post by pillay2k »

Hello All,

Advice needed...

I need to replace the fuel lines in my 914 (through the tunnel), was looking at original plastic style or stainless/steel.

Can anyone tell help me out in deciding whether or not to use Nylon 11 tubing (BS5409-1 or -2)? Is it ok, or a real no no?.... If the latter is there anything plastic you would recommend?

I have read/heard changing to s/steel is all the rage but if the original plastic lines were good for 30+ years i don't see why i can't do the same... (plus i think it will be easier :roll: !!)

Many thanks in advance,

Fab
'73 914 2.0
'92 VW T25 Transporter 1.7D
'15 Mercedes-Benz C63 V8 biturbo
porker914
DDK forever

Post by porker914 »

I have to say looking at the rest of your 14 is so nice I would go with the nylon as thats what would have originally been there but depends on the engine you are using etc as you may want larger bore?

The nylone will be easier to fit as you say but will not last as long as the stainless.

David
1969 914 now crushed!!
1971 914 now sold
1973 914 now sold
1975 914 now sold
fourteener
DDK rules my life!

Post by fourteener »

I had the same question and fitted stainless. When I removed my nylon hoses they weren't brittle at all and I would've felt comfortable re-using them. I have carb’s so I only need one hose from the tank. Are you going to buy new from Porsche, the reason I ask is the factory hoses have some quite tight bends as come out of the rear bulkhead and I reckon it would be hard to replicate this. If you want a 6mm return hose I have one but it might not look any 'newer' than yours as they tend to discolour with age, just a shame I destroyed the bigger 8mm hose to test how 'brittle' it was.
My friend tells me they use nylon fuel hoses in modern cars all the time so the high pressure of FI shouldn’t be a worry as some will suggest it should be.
James.

914-6 facsimile
rebuild your 911 tensioners
moggy
DDK rules my life!

Post by moggy »

I've got to do the same thing. While cutting out the rusty tunnel floor I nipped the fuel line and need to replace it. Its the bigger of the 2 fuel tubes.

Where are you going to get the nylon tubing from and how are you going to deal with the tight moulded bends at the engine end?