Caliper upgrade

An archive of any Porsche 911 technical threads

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

JohnS
DDK slapper chatter

Caliper upgrade

Post by JohnS »

Hi ,
I'm thinking about getting my front 'S' calipers serviced but before I do that is it worth upgrading them to 3.2 calipers?
What are the issues - are they a straight swap over? ( I also need to source some but I guess that they should be readily available?)
Many thanks again
JohnS '73 911
pete917
DDK slapper chatter

Post by pete917 »

im not sure if they are a straight swap but I think it would be a good upgrade. They are relatively cheap - c £300. Will you go servo assisted too?
Alan @ CanfordClassics
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Alan @ CanfordClassics »

Hi John,

They are a direct swap, and you will also need the 3.2 discs, (they are wider). I have them on my 1971 car which has a few more horses than standard and they are fine. But depending on the car I personally prefer the correct S caliper.

Alan
http://www.canfordclassics.co.uk
Porsche Restoration & Sales
pete917
DDK slapper chatter

Post by pete917 »

they look nice Alan - what is the finish?
Alan @ CanfordClassics

Post by Alan @ CanfordClassics »

Hi Pete,

Those are anodised as per the original S calipers. The gold one was just me testing different colours to get a match for the later style S calipers (which are only different in several minor ways).

HTH

Alan
http://www.canfordclassics.co.uk
Porsche Restoration & Sales
ian cox
DDK slapper chatter

Post by ian cox »

Hi John S,
I have a set of 3.2 calipers and front discs that are only 5 months old. I changed the brakes on my 3.2 track car to 930 turbo ones all round so all 4 calipers and discs are surplus to requirements.
If you are interested in the fornts please pm me.
Regards Ian Cox
1969 2.2s restoration nearly complete
1972 911S/2.5ST replication (sold)
1985 3.2 carrera track day shed (sold)
Vic Cohen
I luv DDK!

Post by Vic Cohen »

My compromise .....stick the S calipers etc in the loft and buy the 3.2 , with decent fluid and standard pads u ll never look back,chalk and cheese for performance ..........i do take Alans point and i guess it depends what u mainly want the car to be used for , mine is mainly road work with very rare track days ......either way foy two penneth its a no brainer ....theyre not quite upt 380 mm front discs on my other Porsche !
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Vic Cohen wrote:My compromise .....stick the S calipers etc in the loft and buy the 3.2 , with decent fluid and standard pads u ll never look back,chalk and cheese for performance ..........i do take Alans point and i guess it depends what u mainly want the car to be used for , mine is mainly road work with very rare track days ......either way foy two penneth its a no brainer ....theyre not quite upt 380 mm front discs on my other Porsche !
Do you have the 3.2's on your S then Vic?

On the few times I take my car on the track, my original S brakes are the weak point. The S calipers do flex quite a bit too.

I'm putting new pads & discs on my car to see if that improves things, but a 3.2 conversion is a possibility in the future
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Vic Cohen
I luv DDK!

Post by Vic Cohen »

Yes i do , happened almost by default at refurb time a few years back backs were seized and everything looked rotten ,when i heard the price felt wud be silly to spend what i had and run out of brakes 1 day ...........i had driven before and reiterate fronts were working fine ...........i do believe its a big step forward, based on age of orinals alloy, as much as anything else................i am not as technical as u so Jaz did the lot ...........................i ll say it again ,good move !

On the national circuit when we had the PCGB 'old cars ' day never hint of fade and really got stuck in ..................i do believe the fluid helps , though most of the time is overkill
left4dead

Post by left4dead »

Mine was converted to 3.2 brake spec. during the last resto and I have to say the brakes are one of the best points of the car (road & track)

:)
Steve

1 x '67S, 3 x 2.4S all RHD

A privilege & pleasure to have owned them all.
Ferry Man

Post by Ferry Man »

left4dead wrote:Mine was converted to 3.2 brake spec. during the last resto and I have to say the brakes are one of the best points of the car (road & track)
Mine was restored to standard brake spec. during the last resto and I have to say the brakes are one of the worst points of the car (road & track). :)
Paul

'74 Porsche 911 Carrera 2.7 (MFI) - Lime Green
'94 Porsche 911 Carrera 2 (993) - Mexico Blue
Vic Cohen
I luv DDK!

Post by Vic Cohen »

But thats cos its green ...................................
Mick Cliff
I need to get out more!

Post by Mick Cliff »

hot66 wrote:...my original S brakes are the weak point. The S calipers do flex quite a bit too.

I'm putting new pads & discs on my car to see if that improves things, but a 3.2 conversion is a possibility in the future
My car has 'S' calipers and they are good but not inspirational.
So I decided to go Boxster 4 pots.
Still waiting for a few parts from the US and then I'll get stuck into the conversion...

You'll be able to try mine when it's completed.
Merc B Class diesel
Porsche-less
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

On the subject of the Boxster brakes, do you stay with the 911 master cylinder or change it?

Graham
Mick Cliff
I need to get out more!

Post by Mick Cliff »

gridgway wrote:On the subject of the Boxster brakes, do you stay with the 911 master cylinder or change it?

Graham
Stay with the original, assuming it's serviceable.
Merc B Class diesel
Porsche-less