"Equipe”GTS Race Series 2009

Chitter chatter about Porsche Motorsport -race meets, hillclims etc.

Moderator: Bootsy

Jim Lowry
DDK Newbie

"Equipe”GTS Race Series 2009

Post by Jim Lowry »

"Equipe”GTS 2009

I am starting a new thread to introduce myself and to provide some additional information of the popular “Equipe”GTS race series.

Christophe Wilmart and myself started the “Equipe”GTS race series a few years ago having realised there was plenty of races for larger engined and more powerful historic cars in which smaller engined cars can try to compete – but typically usually only as “also-rans”. At least at that time, there was no race series predominantly for lesser powered historic production sports-cars.

Over the last seven seasons, we have enjoyed organising some excellent European motor races including events at Montlhery, Spa Fancorchamps, Zandvoort, Dijon-Prenios, Zolder, Le Mans-Bugatti and Clermont Ferrand, plus other longer distance races at some of the more popular and demanding UK circuits including Donington Park, Silverstone International, Brands Hatch, Snetterton and the Shell-oils circuit at Oulton Park among many others. We have attracted cars and drivers from Germany, Italy, Holland, France, Belgium, Denmark and Sweden, plus a host of UK drivers and all have enjoyed some excellent racing.

Our races are predominantly for lesser powered historic production sports-cars including MGAs, MGBs, Triumph TR3 and 4, Morgan 4/4 and Plus-4, Standard and “Special-bodied” Sprites and Midgets, Sabre 6, TVR Grantura, Elva Courier, AC Ace and Alfa Romeo cars among many others. Most cars run to period E to F “FIA” specification or to an acceptable period modified specification to be approved by the organising committee and very importantly - on controlled historic style tyres. We no longer accept entries form cars over 2.7 litres, nor from Lotus Elans, Marcos, Porsche 911 ( sorry ) or any sports-racing cars.

We do not hold any form of championship and the need to win or be competitive is not of paramount importance among our growing number of competitors. Our aims and objectives are to be able to provide a reasonably safe environment for owners of high quality historic cars to race in longer distance races at better quality circuits and meetings.

Over the past seven seasons, we have attracted some beautiful cars to race with us including no less than five ex-works MG cars including a ex-Le Mans and ex Sebring MGBs and a "Jacobs" style MG Midget, both ex-works Le Mans Sunbeam Alpines, one of three ex Le Mans Triumph Spitfires, plus several superb sports-cars with genuine 1960s racing history.

During the recent 2008 season, we held 14 x 30 minute races at 8 different circuits. Helped with support from Virgin Radio Classic Rock, we held race entry fees at £150 for a single 30-minute race, £295 for double-header 30-minute races. We do not charge any registration fee and during this last season we attracted no less than 103 drivers.

The provisional calendar for 2009 is near confirmed, we have double header 30 minute races at Zandvoort and on the excellent Le Mans Bugatti circuit in Europe, plus races at Silverstone, Brands Hatch, Snetterton, Anglesey and Croft in the UK. We will be kicking off the season at Donington with a single 30 minute race.

Information can be found on http://www.historique.co.uk

Importantly, we would love to see more Porsches running with us in 2009. Any FIA GTS period E or F specification 356 or 912 would be eligible and very welcome. Certain period type modifications may be acceptable, but must be declared upon registration.

Please ask anything you might like to know and I will be happy to help where I can.

Thank you.

Jim Lowry.
Burma-Shave
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Burma-Shave »

Just wanted to acknowledge this thread Jim,thanks for posting - I would love to do this (and push for a knockhill meeting!) if I had the money to keep on top of the engine rebuilds..a big if! If I win the lottery or discover a cure for something. Perhaps I should try and get sponsorship.. :roll: :?:
1990 964 C4, 1999 Boxster 2.5
And..'89 BMW E30 325i Touring. '83 Mercedes 280E. '84 Citroen 2CV. '16 BMW i3 REx. '03 BMW R1100S. '99 Yamaha R1. '79 BMW R100 scrambler.

Member#0336
Jim Lowry
DDK Newbie

Post by Jim Lowry »

Hi Johnny

We did visit Knockhill two seasons ago at the Speedfair. Really good meeting and it didn't rain too much that weekend either.

Keep buying those lottery tickets.

Cheers,

Jim.