Backdating the Interior

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

ibmiked
DDK Fanatic

Backdating the Interior

Post by ibmiked »

Hello,

I'm posting because I've decided to take the Backdated '88 Carrera (now a '71ish) that I've just bought and bring the interior back in time as well. I should preface this by mentioning that unlike most backdates, this car is not a Carrera RS replica. It is much more in the spirit of an "S", so I'd like the interior to reflect that.

Among the hurdles I forsee is something that is tremendously important to me; the dasboard fascia. I love the look of the early aluminum and basketweave dashboard, especially with the 911 logo on the glovebox door. This will be of the utmost importance, and I will try to show how I tackle the project as well as the results of my trials.

I'll also be doing the standard RS door panels and reproduction seats, but since I'm not dealing with an original car, my potential palette is endless. Right now I am leaning towards the vintage Porsche red interior color (circa 1971). I've included a picture below although I am open to input about what combination of carpet, seats, doors would be tastefully understated (the dash and majority of bits will stay black). I apologize in advance as I have shamelessly borrowed and modified images from other cars to help visualize my ideas.

I'm asking for input here. Any thoughts and ideas will help me to carry this off and possibly provide ideas and inspiration for other aspiring backdaters.

Thanks to one and all,

-Mike

Modified from a picture of AlanUK's beauty;

Definitely not the door panels though;

Radio/SatNav idea;

Thoughts or advice welcome!
912uk
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 912uk »

Interiors are such personal things, anything that back dates it will only compliment your current car. I twist of modern and old will look great..but too new hey :wink:

The seats will make the biggest difference and I am now .. a fan of these mats. It did take me a while to get used to them but now I love them..

My's a 69 car but I have
Modern seats
Ok sterio which will change back to orginal unit with Ipod conector
These fab mats
Modern seat belts

A bit of a twist with modern and old.. I wish I finished that Door pocket before they took this photo :lol:

great looking car BTW 8)
ibmiked
DDK Fanatic

Post by ibmiked »

Thanks for the input and kind words. Do your sport seats compare favorably to modern seats when it comes to comfort and support? I've been told that with modern manufacturing and materials these reproductions are quite a bit more comfortable than original sport seats (I had a set at one time).

Beautiful interior by the way. I too have come slowly around to Coco mats.
912uk

Post by 912uk »

thanks the seats are modern..

they are Nurburge seats. just they are made to look old. A total pleasure to sit in..very pleased with them

Alan uk could put you on to a good company in the US for other seats like this.

8)
sladey

Post by sladey »

You might want to consider your clocks and gauges as well - I drove a '70 car yesterday and the old clocks etc looked the business - chrome disc in the centre, different wording and a nice patina to the lettering

Cheers

Mark
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Will be a great thread to follow.

My shell is a 78 and I've done a little to keep the interior more in keeping with the pre 73 look of the car.

I run vinyl and cord Nurburgring Seats

Removed Centre console

RS Door Panels

Early Gauges

Momo Prototipo wheel

Period Becker Europa linked to an IPod in the glove box

Coco Mats on the floor

Couple of pics

1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
ibmiked
DDK Fanatic

Post by ibmiked »

Very nice Bootsy, I've followed the evolution of your car for some time now.

I've come across this very interesting and relevant thread over on Pelican. It seems this gentleman had the same idea. Although his car is an SC, I'm thinking that with a bit of custom work on the dash-end vents, I could probably pull off a similar feat. Anyone know where I could order or buy the chrome dash pieces though?

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthre ... t=backdate

Thanks!

-Mike
ibmiked
DDK Fanatic

Some progress

Post by ibmiked »

I know it doesn't look like much, but I've got the center console and rugs out. Also, my new carpet with package tray delete arrived along with RS door panels. I also purchased early 911 door lock pulls and drilled and re-tapped them to replace the newer style ones that are on a 1988. Once this was done I was able to eliminate the cups and knobs for the door lock/unlock. I always feel that this is a give away for a later car. There is still a small bump where I removed the cup, I need to do a bit of grinding to make it truly perfect.

More pictures of the interior progress to come.

-Mike
mycar

Post by mycar »

Bootsy wrote: Image
Pardon me nipping in here but I`d like to mount my extinquisher ahead of the gear lever too. Can I just drill into the tunnel and self tap? what`s under there?

Regards, Mike.
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

mycar wrote:
Bootsy wrote: Image
Pardon me nipping in here but I`d like to mount my extinquisher ahead of the gear lever too. Can I just drill into the tunnel and self tap? what`s under there?

Regards, Mike.
I utlisied a couple of fixing screws that were evident following the removal of the centre console so they were already there.

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
mycar

Post by mycar »

Thanks Bootsy, that probably explains why some cars have them and others don`t.

I was going to fix the extinguisher a while ago but read somewhere, don`t remember where now, that you drill into this bit of floor at your peril, so I left it.

Presently my extinguiser rolls around under one or other of the seats, just waiting to off of it`s own accord... not very satisfactory really :?

Anybody else know what I might be drilling into?

Mike.
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Fuel lines, brake lines, accelerator rod, clutch cable, speedo drive cable...

Not much really :)

By the way Mike the new interior is looking good 8)
ibmiked
DDK Fanatic

Post by ibmiked »

Thanks Gary. I decided on "Lobster Red" leather reproduction sport seats from GTS here in the US. I'm having them built with slightly higher brackets for a better view. Also, since I live in the Northeastern US, I'm having them built with 2 stage seat heaters and a hidden switch to maintain the older look and feel. The seats are the only interior bit going to be in red, so disregard the other elements of this picture, it only serves to show what the seats will look like when they're done. Stefan at GTS is great to deal with.

(not my car or seats)

Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

They look great, will really suit your black car too.

Says Bootsy currently doing a bit of upholstery as I speak - a curtain pelmet! Rock and Roll! :oops:

sladey

Re: Some progress

Post by sladey »

ibmiked wrote:. I also purchased early 911 door lock pulls and drilled and re-tapped them to replace the newer style ones that are on a 1988. Once this was done I was able to eliminate the cups and knobs for the door lock/unlock. I always feel that this is a give away for a later car. There is still a small bump where I removed the cup, I need to do a bit of grinding to make it truly perfect.

-Mike
Good work - I hadn't thought of doing that - good idea
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah