First competitive event in the 356 - class win!*

Pictures and write ups of past motorsport meetings.

Moderator: Bootsy

Burma-Shave
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

First competitive event in the 356 - class win!*

Post by Burma-Shave »

*OK, everyone else in the class retired, but to finish first, and all that.. :roll:

Had a grand day out at the Stobs classic, a half autotest, half hill climb kind of a event.

Arrived for scrutineering to promptly fail the noise test - it was at 102dB as she walked past the drivers door! Porsches always fail she says - that would maybe have been good to know before we embarked on the 4 hour plus round trip..but ithankfully we had a special dispensation from the clerk of the course, because of the relative lack of housing nearby.

Some fiendish stages - nice flowing tests, not the super tight J turn stuff that they do in proper autotests in cut down minis. The bumps kept our speed down, and I wasnt out to break a crank either - but we tried to stay competitive for and were 2nd in class by lunch - but then, as described in the race report here the TR3 suffered trans failure, and the Norwegians decided they didnt want to play anymore, so we were suddenly class leaders! After that we took it easy on the old girl - and she got us home with style along the Nurburgring-esque A7. Drove her to work the next day, as Porsche tradition would have it :)

Some more pics:

A nice bunch of cars and drivers. This hard charging imp owner needs that cigarette - after installing an insulation tape engine mount mod..

The very well sorted white Midget in the top pic and this avenger were also going like absolute stink, despite the bumpy sections.

and this Buckler special, looking like something out of a Terry Gilliam film

My navigator David and I are hoping to join in the fun at Culzean Autoclassica, which will include a spectator section and a night stage! With a quieter exhaust I suppose..anyone care to join us?
1990 964 C4, 1999 Boxster 2.5
And..'89 BMW E30 325i Touring. '83 Mercedes 280E. '84 Citroen 2CV. '16 BMW i3 REx. '03 BMW R1100S. '99 Yamaha R1. '79 BMW R100 scrambler.

Member#0336
impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Post by impmad2000 »

Looks like a great event. Congratulations on the class win. Looks like an interesting selection of cars too. My kind of motorsport 8)

Cheers
Tim
Tim Bennett
RHD Targa 2.2T EFI, Triumph ITB's, EDIS and Megasquirt.
"Old enough to know what's right and young enough not to choose it"
hot66

Post by hot66 »

whats the details for Culzean?

I'm there for the show in August
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
johnM
I need to get out more!

Post by johnM »

Wow looks great Johnny, I would love to do something like that.

Regards
John
1970 2.2E Coupe.
2004 996 GT3 mkII
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS TSI DSG.
2021 Toyota GR Yaris Circuit Pack
Helen
Events Organiser

Post by Helen »

Larry and i are booked into to Culzean castle show and are going up there a couple of days early.

whats the details of the rally/event/thingy ? looks like fun 8)

our 356 is (hopefully although i've not had confirmation) booked in for the concours..so this could challange Larrys cleaning abilities :lol:
member#1182
Currently Porscheless but on the look out for my 30th
VG65
DDK forever

Post by VG65 »

Well done...must be in the genes - gutted I couldn't make it.

Great pics - particiularly like the 3rd one.
Cheers,
Vicki.

1971 911T (2.4)
Burma-Shave
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Burma-Shave »

VG I think you would have found it a bit bumpy for your new baby. You were better off in Cakesville TBH..

Others, the Caledonian Classic and Historic Motorsport club site says this:

'An exciting new two day event for Classic and Historic cars, part of the Culzean Autoclassica, the prestigious Goodwood style classic, historic and racing gathering.

Enjoy the thrill of a mini spectator stage through the castle grounds. Face the challenge of the fast and flowing tests at the historic Turnberry racing circuit, and test your skills on the optional night rally. Excellent value at £59 for this two day event.'

I will phone up about it tommorrow, find out how old Porsche freindly it is. And if theres a noise test! If there is, might rule me (and some of you) out.. :evil:
1990 964 C4, 1999 Boxster 2.5
And..'89 BMW E30 325i Touring. '83 Mercedes 280E. '84 Citroen 2CV. '16 BMW i3 REx. '03 BMW R1100S. '99 Yamaha R1. '79 BMW R100 scrambler.

Member#0336