The Rustydog Project - 912

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

Quick912
DDK Fanatic

The Rustydog Project - 912

Post by Quick912 »

Ok this is my thread for my 912 restoration.
its rusty it neeeds a lot of new stuff so to start ill post some pictures.

Its been locked in my garage for about 4 years now. it arrived in my workshop (rather large shed at the end of the garden) on bank holiday weekend and ive been tinkering with bits since then.

Im still making the spit to turn her over - but expect to have this done over this bank holiday

the car has had a lot of bad surgery over its time so there are areas i still need to investigate as to whether it should or should not have some bits.

RHD 912 (AKA the Rusty Dog)
Its not Rust its Character
'63 lambretta li 150
owen nw
DDK slapper chatter

Post by owen nw »

good luck with the resto doing one my self lol :roll:
ask me do i care. do i f**k
Quick912
DDK Fanatic

Post by Quick912 »

thanks owen.

but surely yours is lhd - rust free :roll:

jesus it took me forever today just trying to get the off side steering tie rod bar off...... all the manuals say you must use the correct tool......well theyre wrong the correct tool dont work either....grinder and then i had to drill out the eye bolt in mm steps. that works.....but cant see them putting that in a manual.

will have to keep in touch cos my front end is non existent......photos may be in order
'63 lambretta li 150
owen nw
DDK slapper chatter

Post by owen nw »

lol no bother rust free my arse lol what i see we are doing the same different way round . but its great to see budget resto s and watching the more expensive one s to . lets get on with it and learn from the experienced
and do the best we can keep in touch thanks owen nw 8)
Quick912
DDK Fanatic

Post by Quick912 »

ok bit of an update....

cleaned off the front inner wings and coated them in rust eater as theyll be bare for a while. old rpair you can see - needs cutting out and doing properly

i havent touched the front corner on the inner wings as you can see - still brown rust. i was wanting to bolt up the front end for the front section of the spit so i can turn her over - most people use the bumber mountings - mine are to rusty - one side doesnt even have a bumper mounting. so decided to wait and strip the car more to make it lighter (as its all got to come off in the end) and then start on repairing the front to make it stronger in order to lift it. this side has had a whole load of bad repairs in the past - so much so that the repair has rotted thru as well....thats what you get for welding patches over rotten metal

the floor pan has been "repaired" by previous owners and made the drilling of the original welds impossable so had to cut round them and will grind down and make a new lip

removed the front torsion, steering rack and steering column, pedal box hand brake and gear stick when i got in from work...

slow progress but its great to be doing this apposed to sitting in front of the telly moaning theres nothing ever on.
'63 lambretta li 150
912uk
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 912uk »

Well done mate.. Looking like a proper project... Your shed looks like mine.. great way to get dry space..
Walko
DDK Newbie

Post by Walko »

Looks like a big project

Michael
owen nw
DDK slapper chatter

Post by owen nw »

what did i tell yee same thing different way round , stripped all the inner wings was very good . owen nw 8)
Quick912
DDK Fanatic

Post by Quick912 »

had a good day today..... managed to finish the spit so was able to turn the car over

made cutting the floor pan out easier..

anyone seen a bodge like this before ? and yes it supposed to be the front suspension pan .... well i new it was a bodge before i got it but blimey...

any how its all good fun....im in need of some panels.....
'63 lambretta li 150