Techno Classica Essen (picture heavy content)

Here you will find an archive of previous Porsche Events and other car related events

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, drummerboytom, abm914

Ferry Man
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Ferry Man »

nick-moss wrote:And did you see how many 2.7 RSs there were for sale?
Yes, anyone with serious intent was there and the dealers and private sales didn't disappoint. If you wanted to buy, you could drive away that day.
I saw about 5 or 6. A couple of white ones (one too messed about to be of interest) and the yellow/green one in the auction. But the best two were Gulf Orange and Red. I've got plenty of pictures and stories of them. I'll post later.
Paul

'74 Porsche 911 Carrera 2.7 (MFI) - Lime Green
'94 Porsche 911 Carrera 2 (993) - Mexico Blue
Spydermon
Married to the DDK

Post by Spydermon »

Fantastic pics Paul, must have been a great few days!

Did you get any pics of Edmond Harris's restored Blutorange RS LWT that I believe was on display here? Or the 356 Speed Blutorange RS Touring that was also supposed to have been there, perchance?

I know that there was so much to see....but just in case...?

Cheers,

Steve. :)
Spydermon
Married to the DDK

Post by Spydermon »

nick-moss wrote:A couple of days well spent. And did you see how many 2.7 RSs there were for sale? Where was Spydermon?
:lol:

I did chat to REH about this before he went, and I would've loved to have done it. But I'm being pulled in about four different directions at the moment, none of which are Porsche related I'm afraid, and are mainly to do with the deteriorating health of my Father and, seperately (they are long-divorced) my mother's legal problems after the recent death of my step-father. Being the eldest sibling it's all falling squarely on my shoulders, and of course neither have made proper provision. :roll:

I didn't really want to talk about this on the site, but I suppose you'll all be wondering where I've gone? When the dust has settled, I'll be back full on, till then it's just phone calls and looking at pics I'm afraid. :oops:

Best,

Steve. :)
Ferry Man

Post by Ferry Man »

Here’s one of many RS’s for sale at Essen.
So many were poorly presented or rather dubious but this one shone.
I’m guessing it’s Gulf Orange. My recollection is that it was an early car (188?) and French delivered.
The car was matching numbers but rather unusually the engine resided in the passenger foot well. :wink:
Apparently the original engine had a ‘coming apart’ and was rebuilt into brand new un-numbered cases. All documented and explained with no deception or vagueness.
The car had some small incorrect points that our resident RS anoraks can spot (very easily fixed) but many important details had been restored correctly. It showed really well. Paint was good. Gaps were good. Interior looked very nice. Engine bay was well detailed and pretty. The owner was French (and didn’t speak English) but the universal Porsche Pointing, Gesticulating & Shouting Franglais got us the answers to our questions.
He seemed like a genuine enthusiast and was inviting offers of 220k Euros. Don’t ask me about current RS values, I think they are somewhat optimistic but I’m often wrong. People already fortunate to have such a car enjoy basking in the contentment of ownership and the rest of us just look on incredulous at the values, sometimes chuckling at the madness, sometimes rather envious we can’t join in.

Paul

Ferry Man

Post by Ferry Man »

Paul

Ferry Man

Post by Ferry Man »

This is the other car I liked. I confess I walked by this car twice on the first day and it didn’t even register.
On the second day I stopped and looked, and the more I looked, the more fascinated I was.
I could see myself using this car. If I had an RS restored to perfection I’d then proceed to use it and tarnish it. This one you could use for anything and not worry about it. Aside from adding to the mileage you couldn’t hurt the value with the odd ding or scrape (or, god forbid, mud inside the wheel arches).
It’s a German delivered car, much later than the Orange car. Seemingly a one owner car in the hands of the original purchaser until very recently.
It came from the factory fitted as standard at the owners request with 2 door mirrors, electric sunroof and electric windows. The car sported an aluminium ducktail.
The Porsche dealer fitted a radio aerial that the customer wanted but he drilled it right next to the fuel filler.
The client didn’t like that and made them drill and fit it to the opposite wing (hence the existing 2 holes and blanking plates).
The dealer at the show claimed it was all original paint but I’d doubt that. It certainly had a lot of original paint but I’d say it probably had one outer paint job (albeit maybe some time ago). The sills had been worked on.
It was matching numbers and the engine had never been apart. Probably never even been out of the car. You couldn’t eat your dinner off it. The carpets were original. The headliner was original. The trim panels were original. Inside it smelt wonderful. It smelt 35 years old. The seats were houndstooth and the dealer claimed they had been replaced on the day of delivery with racing buckets and then stored only to be recently returned to the car in as new condition. I felt that was unlikely. I’d say they were original but recently re-trimmed.
It was also low miles. The mileage was 85,000km. Where do the dealers find ‘em? It was a remarkable car.
Asking price on this one? 250k Euros and it could be yours.

Paul

Ferry Man

Post by Ferry Man »

Paul

Helen
Events Organiser

Post by Helen »

please...........no more.

i need a cool shower now :drunken:
member#1182
Currently Porscheless but on the look out for my 30th
elkelk
Married to the DDK

Post by elkelk »

The heart says i'm going to this show next year, the head (and the wallet) says NO!
jtparr
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by jtparr »

nice one paul, thanks for the 2.7 stuff

at Euro 59K for that silver one, that's a pretty fair price I reckon

jp
Ferry Man

Post by Ferry Man »

Helen wrote:please...........no more.
But I've got loads more. This is just the early Porsche stuff. What about all the other marques? :lol:

Paul

Ferry Man

Post by Ferry Man »

Paul

Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

The more the merrier - superb pictures!
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Ferry Man

Post by Ferry Man »

This was a cool bit of gear. The guy was scanning a panel in readiness for tooling up for reproductions.
It built a 3D rendering on screen as we watched.

Paul

Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

and a Beetle W deck lid to boot!
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk