For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

Spydermon
Married to the DDK

911 2.7RS

Post by Spydermon »

Hi all,

I'm new here, and this is my RS thread.

I'm looking for a really great RS, and am willing to search high and low.

What I need is your knowledge and info; anything you can tell me about currently available RS's I would love to hear it, even if you have to PM me.

If there are cars that you know are available that aren't advertised or with the usual suspect dealers, please point me to them. Any pics or ideas or websites, or even anecdotes about the wrong way to buy one, please let me know.

If there was an unbelievable RS in white, I'd probably look, but really I'm looking for standout colours like Orange, Lemon yellow, black and the like.

I'm grateful for the time you take to post, and am looking forward to your replies,

Best,

Steve. :thumbup:
left4dead
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by left4dead »

Hi Steve,

I had the pleasure of viewing a gorgeous, original RHD Gulf Blue car at http://www.thehairpincompany.co.uk/ this week although I think it might have just been sold?

Funnily enough another Gulf Blue car has surfaced at http://maxted-page.com/cars.htm although it's LHD (does that matter?) and has been converted from Touring to Lightweight spec.

Both companies tend to have RS's in on a regular basis although neither are cheap! :shock:

Oh, and Fisken have a black LHD Italian car here: http://www.fiskens.com/pages/shop/cat.aspx?cid=1

There's bound to be several others out there that other people can fill you in on!

Good luck with the hunt!
Steve

1 x '67S, 3 x 2.4S all RHD

A privilege & pleasure to have owned them all.
paulyb
DDK addict

Post by paulyb »

Sport (lightweight) or touring?
Main people to contact are Mark Waring, Maxted-Page, Edmond Harris, Autofarm.
I looked briefly at the gulf blue car at Maxted-Page when I was up there on Monday - looks like a lovely example, though I haven't examined it properly! A touring that has been 'upgraded' to lightweight spec, though still has sunroof.

BTW - what's wrong with white? - Mine here: http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r258 ... bum/911RS/ 8)
911Smonster
DDK addict

Post by 911Smonster »

I see you made it over to the dark side! Good luck with your search.
'73 911 2.4S (gone!)
pae
DDK Fanatic

Post by pae »

Sorry to go off-topic for a moment, but that GT40 on the Maxted site is just stunning 8)

OK, thanks for that diversion, now back to your search,

regards, Phil
'79 Honda CB650 project
T W M C
"It takes a lot of practice to sound like yourself" Miles Davis
Bertroex
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by Bertroex »

Hello Steve and welcome to DDK,

Its an awesome choice to have and here's good luck in your search. I dont know whether you fancy WHD (wrong hand drive :wink: ) because that can broaden your search. The usual suspects are (altough NONE of them have an 2.7 Rs listed...)
Georg Konrodsheim himself:

http://www.konradsheim.at/ie/index.html

Manfred Freisinger
http://www.freisinger-motorsport.de/por ... rsale.html

Robert Stutzmann (was Sport Wagen Service now "flat 57")
http://sws-stutzmann.com/pages/frame_occasions.html

oelala qu'est-ce que c'est la? 8) First time I see this colour.

The swiss market sometimes unveils real treats: Micheal Birch bought his Chartreuse via an US/Swiss contact if I recall correctly?

But.... often you will notice that good cars don't even come on the open market.

Mike (210 bhp) is already talking to you and seems on the ball with RS's worldwide; Nick Moss also has one on offer (GP white on blue IIRC) and.... what happened to that orange RS that was sold to Neil from the Hairpin company but was involved in a car accident. Surely that must be ready by now?

EDIT: found this post:
sng45 wrote: Autofarm are about to begin a full rebuild which is expected to take between 6/8 months using new old stock genuine parts at a cost of LOTS ! the rebuild is going to be featured in GT Porsche magazine which will help with the cars provenance and I can't wait to get it back again.
Fuller story here:
http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewto ... nt&start=0

All the best in your search

Bert
-1968 912 SWB Targa LHD
-1976 911 Carrera 3.o Targa RHD
-1983 944 190bhp (augment automotive enhanced) RHD
-1979 280SLC manual LHD, 1989 500SL, 1997 SL500, 1989 Jag XJ-s 3.6, old BMW’s
-Ex 1976 911 2.7 Targa, 1979 911 SC, 1983 930,1993 964 C4 Jubi etc
Spydermon
Married to the DDK

Post by Spydermon »

MIke (210bhp); I'm not ignoring you, I'm just trying to get my head around the forum and replying to folk.
Although Black wouldn't be my first choice of colour, I'd love to see it. Could you send some pics, or post them? If you need my e-mail addy just pm me. Are you involved with sales of 911's? :)
Spydermon
Married to the DDK

Post by Spydermon »

Marcus; thanks for the reply. I can't believe this internet; forget six degrees of separation, it's now two mouse clicks to cover the world! If I decide to go for this car then your mate could come in handy.

Would he happen to know if there is anybody in Oz who is the equivalent of Peter Morgan? i.e. Someone who go there and thoroughly check it out? Obviously for a fee; I'd like to know if you could e-mail him, or would?

Thanks in advance,

Steve. 8)
Spydermon
Married to the DDK

Post by Spydermon »

Bert; Hi there and thanks for your replies and great info! That blue car certainly looks good.

I think that the RHD choice will have to be stuck to, mainly because I'm going to have to let the trouble and strife use it occasionally (long story), and she cannot get her head around LHD, I kid you not, I've tried.

I don't want to sound gauche, but the cost is less important than getting the right car. As I said on another thread, this will have to be a keeper, I mean its the cost of another house that could produce rent etc, etc. I'm not an investor, nor would I ever be that kind of buyer. It really is the realisation of a childhood obsession that has always burned away there.

I know that I could get three or four other 911's and all that, but it would only take the sight of a real RS, and I would feel short-changed and bereft. Lets face it, it's a motoring icon and a piece of history, I can't wait.

:cheers:

Steve.
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

Steve

The black car I am talking about is the one mentioned above on the Fisken site. If you want to know any of the car's history send me a pm.

I am not a car dealer, just an enthusiast for the marque like you. I searched several years and looked at plenty of RS's before I bought mine. I think anyone dedicated to the thrill of the RS knows the whereabouts of most of them. Only occasionally does one pop out of the woodwork that has not been in circulation somewhere. You have to be very aware that the provenance and originality is paramount. There are three RS's in the world with chassis number 406. Which is the real one? Two are obviously fakes so watch out, there could be copies of other chassis numbers.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
Roadrunner
Married to the DDK

Post by Roadrunner »

Gregor Fisken also has a spectacular green RS with interesting history - I shot the car for him, and fell in love with it.

Call him on 0207 584 3503 & tell him Tim sent you !

www.fluidimages.co.uk
Last edited by Roadrunner on Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

Steve

There were only just over 100 RHD RS's including 17 lightweights so sticking to RHD is going to make your search that little bit more difficult.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
Spydermon
Married to the DDK

Post by Spydermon »

210bhp wrote:Steve

The black car I am talking about is the one mentioned above on the Fisken site. If you want to know any of the car's history send me a pm.

I am not a car dealer, just an enthusiast for the marque like you. I searched several years and looked at plenty of RS's before I bought mine. I think anyone dedicated to the thrill of the RS knows the whereabouts of most of them. Only occasionally does one pop out of the woodwork that has not been in circulation somewhere. You have to be very aware that the provenance and originality is paramount. There are three RS's in the world with chassis number 406. Which is the real one? Two are obviously fakes so watch out, there could be copies of other chassis numbers.

Regards
Mike
I hear you Mike, and I'm using you kind DDK'ers to access that knowledge base. The last thing I want is to buy a lemon that everybody else knows about!

What colour is your RS? I'd like to see pics of it, is it left or right hand drive? Have you driven both types, and was their a great deal of difference?

I'm also realising that the majority are LHD. What amazes me is the speed that these cars move on to new owners! I've never spent any length of time driving a left-hooker in the UK, is it a pain?

I looked on the Fisken site and the black car looks very good. Hmmm.

I've heard a lot about the 'top ones' being near or over 200k, yet have not seen any advertised (except for the Orange OZ one) at near these prices. Is this becasue they aren't advertised?

With your knowledge, and if you wanted a top-dollar one now, where would you look?

Thanks again Mike, I appreciate your time. 8)
Spydermon
Married to the DDK

Post by Spydermon »

Roadrunner wrote:Gregor Fisken also has a spectacular green RS with interesting history - I shot the car for him, and fell in love with it.

Call him on 0207 584 3503 & tell him Tim sent you !

www.fluidimages.co.uk
Thanks Tim,

Great website with some amazing pictures! I've looked at the green one, and I'm not sure about the yellow under the green, but I love the green. If I ring Gregor on this one I will tell him you sent me.

Cheers,

Steve. :)
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Personally I prefer LHD on an early 911 ( as god intended ;) ) , but TBH there is not a great difference. LHD has a better seat Vs pedal position and it is argued the gearbox is easier to 'use' from the left seat. Additionally LHD opens up the world market when & if the car is passed on to its next guardian :)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)