out of winter hibernation

The place to post image of your PORSCHES

Moderator: Bootsy

210bhp
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: out of winter hibernation

Post by 210bhp »

It’s hard to say Jon. I suspect very little. From what I can gather the RS was first registered in Sicily early November 73 to the first owner. Invoiced from the factory early June 73. Either the car sat in the showroom in chartreuse all that time and was painted black between November 73 and January 74, or it was painted black before first delivery. Armando (the Sicilian Porsche dealer I met) does not recall supplying a green RS. The assumption was it would not sell in Sicily in chartreuse so was repainted to sell. The owner from January 74 never knew it as anything other than black. The key is the first owner but, alas, they are not listed in the Palermo phone book (at least at the original address).

I have found chartreuse on every panel except the front spoiler.

Is it really possible to remove the black without destroying the chartreuse? It had crossed my mind to try one day. It’s going to be relatively easy under the wheel arches as the later attempts to protect with black (two or three times) is not paint but some kind of under seal which peels away easily. The inner floor is pure factory. It’s chartreuse with touches of black. The top surfaces might be a different proposition. But what’s not to lose, if it doesn’t work it could simply be bare metaled and repainted. But there the conundrum. The black is ‘original’ too so I would then lose both.

It would be an interesting ‘restoration’.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
DustyM
I need to get out more!

Post by DustyM »

210bhp wrote:
Is it really possible to remove the black without destroying the chartreuse?
I guess that would depend on how they prepped the car before painting it black. If they simply gave it a light sand with a fine grade paper and painted the black straight over the original chartreuse then yes in theory you could carefully sand away the black and then flat and polish the chartreuse. I think its a long shot though.

If they attacked the original paint with course paper and then primered before the black then I would say it would be impossible to bring back the original paint.
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

My brother in law sanded his badly blue painted stag back to its original white, it was rough anyway though and not in the same league we are talking here. He just stopped sanding when it went white then polished it.

It’s entirely possible, but I’d be taking it to somewhere you’d really trust to do it. Inevitably it would need some paint so they’d have to be good enough to effect a local repair and make it match. Could you try a panel, maybe the ducktail, and see how it comes out?
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

I remember reading about a paint removal process many (20?) years ago that consisted of blasting the surface with soft plastic beads - the claim was that it could remove individual layers of paint without damage to the surface beneath.

More recently I'm sure that I've seen reports of 'sympathetic' restorations of multi-million pound historic race cars where they were able to remove individual layers of paint to verify authenticity/provenance.

However the paint in these instances would probably have been cellulose which is a lot softer than modern 2-pack acrylic ...

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
bjmullan
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by bjmullan »

Pictures are fantastic Mike. You must be very pleased 8)
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Nine One One »

Why not try the Petrol filler flap, Its only a small area, and could be repaired black if need be.

Some paint shops have a device that measures thickness of paint layers, could you try that?

Something similar to this.......

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BG83V5K/ ... th=1&psc=1

https://www.defelsko.com/resources/pain ... nt-drywall

Ian
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

Hi Ian

Thanks for that. I have looked at these before and I’m wondering if they would help or just confuse things. You can get, I believe, a total thickness measurement and a individual layer measurement upto 3 layers but it still leaves you wondering what those layers are, back, chartreuse, primer would be the logical presumption but you still wouldn’t know for sure until some was removed.

The petrol flap is the logical place to investigate especially as its has obvious signs of chartreuse present.

Thanks again. I’ll look into it.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Nine One One »

Mike,

years ago I often had to send paint samples off for analysis to Home Office Forensic Labs, they are now all privatised.

Below is a paper on car paint analysis.

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... car_paints.

There seem to be a number of ‘privatised’ institutes now carrying out this service.

http://www.forensicresources.co.uk/fore ... alysis.php

The above is just one, there are probably more, and dare say price and results may differ.

All you are after is the composition of the paint, not what make or model the sample could come from (you know this already) - which results in another database search.

If you went down this route with a few samples, say off your Petrol flap, you will get the thickness of your current colour, whether they did apply a primer before applying the Black and how thick that primer is. You will also get to know how thick the original chartreuse colour is. From that, you can work out whether it has been rubbed down with fine or coarse, by the micron thickness of that paint. Granted this is only the petrol flap, but its a start that may lead you elsewhere?

Forensically, there is a way to remove each layer of paint, with cotton tips and chemicals. If it was resprayed in the 1970’s it is likely to be cellulose so will be easy to remove one step at a time.

Ian
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

Lockdown pictures after a good clean up.

Gotta love Gibbs

Mcguire’s for me but I know there are lots of good alternative products out there

I tried the Angel Wax products that Sylvia won at PITG last year on my modern but it’s a more fickle system. Maybe I’ve just got used to the Maguires

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Looking great Mike
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Hopefully you get to take it for some drives while the weather is good

Sent from my Redmi 7 using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Looks fabulous as ever Mike. Go drive it and take some pic's up in the mountains :)
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Does look well
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
brembo
DDK rules my life!

Post by brembo »

Great work Mike,a black RS does it for me every time 8).
Remember seeing your car for the first time at Culzean in 2008.Don't know how I'd never spotted it before then,as your only 30 miles up the road.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2j6w5UY][img]htt ... .jpg[/img]P1010376 by brembo26, on Flickr[/url]
Regards,
Dougie

Worry is the interest on inevitability !
hot66

out of winter hibernation

Post by hot66 »

brembo wrote:Great work Mike,a black RS does it for me every time 8).
Remember seeing your car for the first time at Culzean in 2008.Don't know how I'd never spotted it before then,as your only 30 miles up the road.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2j6w5UY][img]htt ... .jpg[/img]P1010376 by brembo26, on Flickr[/url]
The yellow car next to it looked better though ;) :lol:
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)