Off topic watch chat for the horologists out there

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Disco
DDK rules my life!

Re: Off topic watch chat for the horologists out there

Post by Disco »

gridgway wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:31 pm I'm still looking for my next proper watch. Mind you I've only had one previous nice watch, a breitling. I moved it on when I couldn't read it!

I've been eyeing up Rolexes on the watch collecting auction site (love it it hate it?).

I like the GMT pepsi or the Daytonas. I just have no idea what they'll look like on my wrist. I'm not sure a Rolex shop would entertain my novice-ness. But if prices are softening, there's no hurry!

There's a new concept at the Rolex boutiques. they often have a number of display only watches. these watches are watches that they will sell, but only to the customer list and only when they get a comparable watch in from Rolex - ie they are required to keep stock so that prospective buyers are able to try them on.

it does differ from place to place. I went to the Rolex shop in St.Tropez in the summer and left seething at the service. - but generally I've found that if you're able to get to one of the non city centre authorised dealers, ideally as close to where you live as possible, they'll be pretty accommodating.

I go to watches of Switzerland in Canary Wharf, because, I walk past it and have my name down for originally a Daytona Ceramic, black face, and more recently a two tone GMT "rootbeer" - neither have been forthcoming so I don't expect any thing any time soon. but they let me try on all the watches they have etc. I've got a better relationship with Prestons in Guildford ( another AD ) and whilst they recognise me as a genuine enthusiast, there's no financial relationship between me and them, so I also don't think I'll be getting 'the call' - that said - they're lovely in there, very accommodating.

One other thing - if you got rid of your Brietling because you couldn't read it - don't buy a white faced Daytona - bloody awful watch to tell the time with! - I still struggle with mine - - GMT or Sub is much easier to read. Talking of GMT's - the early Cokes and Pepsi's are lovely, will retain their value and have a more of a classic look to them.. - or even the last phase of the black GMT - not the best of investment pieces, but you\re not going to lose much if anything over a 5 year horizon... which lets face it, you can't say that for many other watch manufacturers... ( preCovid )

also and finally - if you are interested - a shameless plug for Jason. I've bought through him in the past and he's got some excellent pieces at pretty fair prices. - a lot of buying rolexes is not buying the watch, but buying the dealer... lots and lots of fakes out there that are so good, you have to take them apart to tell...

cheers
Joe
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

I can't work out why Rolex bother to have show rooms!

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
swift911
Married to the DDK

Post by swift911 »

That’s very true.
I’m not always sure why they have staff in their shops, they can’t always be bothered to even acknowledge you…. Trafford Cenrre.
Bob
964RS

Post by 964RS »

It’s not something they created on purpose. This has never been the case in their history before, you could always get almost every model and they were always on display.

The problem is they now have 5+ years lists on every single watch. So every one they get into stock they just make a phone call for someone on the list to collect. There is never any physical shop floor stock to display and sell…

It’s good for the dealers as they sell every single watch they get immediately. They use the leverage to sell other stuff also. Must be a nightmare for the staff though, all they do all day every day is tell people sorry we don’t have any available, must be hugely boring and frustrating….
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Thanks all for the thoughts. I've got my name down in a Rolex dealer in manila! My business colleague knows the manager well, so we'll see. Don't hold out any hope though.

Need to look to the used market I think. The GMT master ii root beer looks very nice. I tried on a green milgauss and it looked fantastic!

Graham
Ralph
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Ralph »

I have recently dug this Omega out that I got given years ago by the widow of the original owner. I slung the metal stretchy strap that was fitted a few years ago but now need something vintage looking and more correct for a 1966 item. Anyone got anything suitable? It takes an 18mm strap.

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Was that a birth or retirement present for the previous owner?

Simple black leather strap?

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Been wearing this lately. A Chronostop Driver. The dial is rotated 90 degrees so you can read the time when your hands are on the steering wheel.Image

hmg66
DDK Fanatic

Post by hmg66 »

Ralph wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:49 pm I have recently dug this Omega out that I got given years ago by the widow of the original owner. I slung the metal stretchy strap that was fitted a few years ago but now need something vintage looking and more correct for a 1966 item. Anyone got anything suitable? It takes an 18mm strap.

You need a nice vintage beads of rice strap for this watch.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125345166174 ... BM0LHmlqRh

8C7B5FF8-675B-404F-B915-693F45B12ED2.jpeg
86 Guards Red Carrera 3.2
87 UR quattro
89 Guards Red 944 turbo
05 Guards Red 987 Boxster S
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

I think that is what he threw away:)

swift911
Married to the DDK

Post by swift911 »

That’s a shame. A decent leather one would look good. I’ve got a black one on my Constellation. I sourced an original buckle to add to the look.
Bob
Ralph
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Ralph »

swift911 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:48 pm That’s a shame. A decent leather one would look good. I’ve got a black one on my Constellation. I sourced an original buckle to add to the look.
Yeah - I was thinking of a leather one too. Just had a quick look online and a genuine Omega stap is about £225, these don't look much different to the £10/£20 leather straps on Ebay though.
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

But presumably one says Omega and one doesn't!
swift911
Married to the DDK

Post by swift911 »

I assume so. Maybe some day I’ll upgrade. The watch would deserve it. It’s a 1961 Dennison cased Constellation in 18ct. It took me ages to find the buckle.
Bob
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

As was said the buckle is the hard bit to find and I'm not sure your model would of come with a buckle?

Lots of good strap options for less than £50