Off topic watch chat for the horologists out there

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

swift911
Married to the DDK

Re: Off topic watch chat for the horologists out there

Post by swift911 »

It’s been very quiet round here lately. Is anyone treating themselves for Christmas, or fancying a change.
Bob
Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

I’m a Rolex man, honestly, buying now, unless it’s a grail piece like the ones Jason is letting go, I think it’s a wait and see.. prices are softening, production is increasing… although the new Rolex second hand policy won’t help.. IMO.

Would love to get my hands on a GMT rootbeer. Just love it, but as I say, will wait a little
swift911
Married to the DDK

Post by swift911 »

Rolex sports watches are still high. Not sure they will ever soften a lot, due to demand. Rolex are due to open another factory, so who knows.
I went in two local ADs recently, I was a good as ignored in one, the other isn’t adding names to the list for a non date Sub…. But did say to call back in the new year ??
Bob
gridgway
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by gridgway »

I'm still looking for my next proper watch. Mind you I've only had one previous nice watch, a breitling. I moved it on when I couldn't read it!

I've been eyeing up Rolexes on the watch collecting auction site (love it it hate it?).

I like the GMT pepsi or the Daytonas. I just have no idea what they'll look like on my wrist. I'm not sure a Rolex shop would entertain my novice-ness. But if prices are softening, there's no hurry!
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

I don't think you can even buy a Daytona without buying a lesser watch to get yourself on a list?

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
anglophone1
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by anglophone1 »

I’ve given up on all of that bollocks - these guys do nice and affordable things
https://www.timefactors.com/
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
1978 SC/1984 3.2 Outlaw -Jaffa 911
1973 914 - on Webers - historic rally car- Tango 914
1977 924 2.0 on Webers street legal race car - Martini 924
Flachbau -in progress
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

neilbardsley wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:01 pm I don't think you can even buy a Daytona without buying a lesser watch to get yourself on a list?

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk
I was thinking of second hand as I assumed new would be hard.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Smiths Black Shaddow looks good to me as a 'non-watch' person.

Mind you, quite fancy one of the Swatch collaboration Omega Moon watches, but probably just because you can find one, all sold out.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
swift911
Married to the DDK

Post by swift911 »

Those Smiths are rather nice, I’ve never seen the modern ones before. I have a couple of the vintage ones, a 1960 Empire and a 1966 Astral.
Bob
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

I've just visited a Rolex shop in manila (as you do). I'm certainly a newbie to this world, what a strange experience. Can't order anything. Might get something that might be suitable or might not. Don't think I've got enough patience for the nonsense!
Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

It’s been like that since the pandemic really. And before that for sports watches, probably for the last 6 or more years. Sometimes in the old days, you’d get lucky. I rocked up to the Rolex dealer In Knokke, Belgium and managed to get a James Cameron, no relationship etc, but now..... I was talking to someone in watches of Switzerland and they said the last Daytona they had went out to a guy who had spent 350k in the last 6 months with them- honestly not sure what you could be buying at that money if they’re not selling you a Rolex or patek- I mean, that’s a lot of omegas....
964RS

Post by 964RS »

It’s been a different ‘world’ for modern Rolex last 5 years. Demand rocketed as everyone thought they could make money on them, a 1000 new ‘dealers’ entered the market pumping up prices between themselves and supply could not cope and authorised dealers used the opportunity to sell more stuff they’d never sell to get people on lists for ‘the money making’ pieces. A bit like Porsche and what they did with the GT range. All became about money and not the watches for the mass majority of buyers. Endless amounts of free money in bounce backs and cheap govt loans just added to it all in 2020/2021…

That’s all changed last 6 months and modern stuff is falling off a cliff (admittedly from a ridiculously overhyped high and is still stupidly high). Fewer buyers as everyone starts to worry, more sellers as people start to dump their money making watches now they see the downturn and Rolex production has increased. The next 24 months will be interesting….

Vintage on the other hand has just ticked along as normal. Prices have remained good and upward with no massive rise or fall during this period. It’s a different clientele altogether who buy these and different financial status of the buyers. Collectors or individuals with a passion for what they are buying and not all about the $$$$.
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

Wot he said innit 👆👆. 😬

Completely agree with you Jason. More stability in the vintage pieces, but you have to admit they’ve also increased with / along side the ‘premium’ sports watches… a bit like Porsche, one’s an RS sells for mega money, prices of the S rises in ratio, and so too does the T and E.

Interesting to watch, from the sidelines. I’d love another piece, but I’m like the majority of the purchasers.. worried about the next 24 months. 🫣🫣
964RS

Post by 964RS »

To be honest I’m not sure the vintage rise in the last 5 years is much different to the rise the 5 years before that but I’ve not done a specific or detailed study, it’s just a feeling.

The Uber rare mint stuff will always outperform standard simply because of the rarity…
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

swift911
Married to the DDK

Post by swift911 »

As an investment, I’m not sure I’m clever enough to risk much money. But because I really like a watch, that’s different, with the possibility it might go up in value. A but like old 911s I suppose.
Bob