Motorsport? Who does what

Chitter chatter about Porsche Motorsport -race meets, hillclims etc.

Moderator: Bootsy

hot66

Motorsport? Who does what

Post by hot66 »

Just wondering how many on here actually compete ?

For those of you who do, would it be possible for you to start a thread explaining which sport / series you compete in , the car , the pros & cons etc ?

I have this nagging urge to try & enter motorsport of some sort before I reach 40 :shock: .
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Nige
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nige »

For some reason I'm anxious about using my car for motorsport. I'd happily sacrifice a few lawn mower engines to complete in this though
http://www.lawnmowerworld.co.uk/lawnmower%20racing.htm

Surely James you're going to have to get a move on before you hit 40.
Mick Cliff
I need to get out more!

Post by Mick Cliff »

Nige wrote:Surely James you're going to have to get a move on before you hit 40.
Bitch! :lol: :lol:
Merc B Class diesel
Porsche-less
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Still some years to go yet ;)

Think I'll start with these

James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Nige

Post by Nige »

the pink one suits you :)
IanMcLeod
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanMcLeod »

PCGB Club Championship

Competed last year. This year intended to try the Hillclimb/Sprint Championship they run but car not ready so will do next year instead.

Club Championship is for standard cars so much cheaper than modified classes. Shell, engine, gearbox, suspension, brakes all has to be standard. Fiberglass bumpers, bonnet, engine lid allowed. Car can be lowered and inside stripped out plus full cage and fire system required. Each model of car runs in a particular class. Changes allowed (e.g. brake pads) documented so simple to understand what is or is not allowed. Each listed car has an allowed power output (std + 5%) with Bob Watson rolling road being the test rig.

Used 73 2.4E which ran at a weight including driver of 1060kg. Good car to choose as class 3 which is a good place to learn. Never done it before so wanted to start at the back (went straight from ARDS exam for licence into the first race the following week). National B licence required.

Wide variety of cars eligable for example 2.4E, 2.2S (Class 3), through SC, 2.4S (Class 2) and 2.7RS, 3.2, 964 (Class 1). 924, 944 and 968 also eligable in the various classes. Usually about a 10 second a lap difference between the classes. Recently added a historic class 4 for 60s FIA cars.

Has a progression as you learn the ropes (or if you have done it before) as you can move up to Class 1 and then onwards into the Open Championship which is fully modified cars such as 935, 993RS, 996GT3, 997GT3 etc so a whole different league in cost and talent required (National A licence required).

Lots of people stay in the Club Championship and don't move up as it's very good fun. My car came from a chap who had done two years in Class 3 and was moving up so car prepared and ready to go which makes it easier.

Usually approx 8 events a year. Typically 15 minute practice plus two 15 or 20 minute races over a weekend make up an event. You can do as few or as many events as you like. The races are always part of a bigger weekend event which is usually historic racing focused (Jags, Astons, Morgans, MGs etc) with about 6 races each day of the weekend. Typical circuits - Brand, Sliverstone, Donnington, Croft, Oulton, Castle Combe plus usualy one in europe each year (Spa this year I think).

Cost wise works out about £800 an event. Split approx 1/2 and 1/2 between entry fee and paying a team to support you. If you want life insurance that'll cost you an additional £1000 an event :-o

Also a one off cost of helmet, race suit, gloves, boots etc which is about £1000. All has to be fireproof and MSA approved. You'll need this whatever type of racing you choose so not particular to this championship.

All in all very well organised race series. Good fun and a good place to learn.

Here's a picture of Team GCR at Snetterton in 2006.

Ian.
hot66

Post by hot66 »

superb Ian , just the kind of info / post I was looking for 8) It is great to hear this kind of information from those who have been there & done it :)

What was that 1st step into racing like ? I imagine sat on the grid for the 1st race was pretty daunting ?
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Nige

Post by Nige »

Sorry James for sending things off topic

What Ian has put sounds just ideal for you when you're nearly 40 something.
Last edited by Nige on Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IanMcLeod
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanMcLeod »

hot66 wrote:What was that 1st step into racing like ?
It's daunting the first time.

What you don't realise is that events are run to a timetable of military precision. You have to sign on, have your gear inspected, have a new driver circuit briefing, have your car weighed, make sure your transponder is working, check your car over, put the right amount of petrol in it, be at the pre-race collection point parked in the right grid position (and don't forget your helmet or gloves) and finally go out on to the circuit and make sure you find your grid position. All at the right time.

If you fail to follow the timetable you are not allowed out. It's stressful until you learn the routine.

Once you are sitting on the grid it's just plain exciting. Huge fun :-)
Cortina
DDK rules my life!

Post by Cortina »

Historic stage rallying ... since 1993. up to recently in a Mk1 Cortina , did the Manx event for the last two years in borrowed minis (hmm) , now building a '66 911 from ground up .. should be out sometime next yr ??
Nothing to beat 60mph average over tight twistly roads on pace notes. Have also sprinted , and hillclimbed in Lotus Elan and 2.4E. Right ... back to the welding !
Royal Enfield .. still in India
GL 1800 Tour DCT, for pleasure / Fantic 240 Professional - play
Rally 911 (1966) build parked for a while
Rally 928 (work started again - inc serious weight loss programe !)
.... and now another VW Up GTI owner.
KS

Post by KS »

Drag racing, but you don't want to hear about that! :roll:
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
jimbow
DDK Fanatic

Post by jimbow »

KS wrote:Drag racing, but you don't want to hear about that! :roll:
Oh yes we do!
Jim
Porsche 911 '74 3.0EFI Mexico blue
Land Rover 2a 109 Station Wagon '67
VW Golf Mk1 Campaign '83
VW Beetle '66
VW Beetle '65
Ford Anglia '67
Austin A30 '55
Barry

Post by Barry »

I'm with Nige: always liked the idea of the lawn-mower racing ( :P )(although I might be a bit too boney to absorb many bumps: it's a Sussex sport, and my new neighbour over the road deals in mowers for pocket money .....

As seen on Transworld Sport:

http://www.blmra.co.uk/modules/associat ... ?pagenum=8

Acually, just read one of the driver profiles: seems he broke his back during a race, so perhaps not for me after all :lol: .
DDK Member1243 07741 273865. Now booking Spring '24. Home of the RY Austin 7 Trophy's
moggy
DDK rules my life!

Post by moggy »

Tried my hand at the following:

Go karting
Drag racing (not part of any championship though) - god knows how many RWYB sessions since I was 17 (best of 11.8 in me supercharged bug)
Formula first - trial
SCOR (Short Course Off-road Racing) - 2yrs
Road rallies - only a few done so far for shakedown purposes of 914.

and now getting into Historic Stage rallying with the 914 for 2008.

I'd recommend road rallies if you're on a tight budget, but you've gotta find a navigator and alot of events also ask you to supply a marshal. However no matter what motorsport you enter into you usually need a few pairs of hands.

Whatever you do play safe and bite their heads off..... no mercy :evil: grrr. ....... oh and NEVER tell the wife how much you spend... EVERR!!!!

Cheers

Moggy
defender47
DDK Fanatic

Who does what

Post by defender47 »

Hi,
I guess some of you guys know that I race my 1970 911E in the HSCC
70's Roadsports series. For anyone interested in starting racing it certainly
is a good place to begin. the membership is very reasonable £160
if I recall correctly. Races are held at most circuits, Silverstone, Brands
Snetterton,Donnington Park, Cadwell, Castle Combe, Oulton Park, and of course Spa.
Entry fees vary but usually around the £240 average..
the cameraderie and friendship is superb and I can guarantee that you
would be made to feel very welcome by all competitors.

The last two seasons Porsche was represented by 2 928s my 911 and this year a 924.
There is paddock talk of perhaps some more 911s
next year.

James, if you're thinking about don't leave as late as I did.
Wrong side of fifty! But didn't want to get to 75 and say.
"Oh I wish I'd done that now" It doesn't have to be all that expensive.
You don't need a crew. many of our guys drive their cars to the
circuits by themselves. That actually will gain you extra points.
there will always be people to help out if you do have a problem.

As Ian said , you do need your suit and helmet etc but they should last a good few seasons.

70's has slightly stricter regs re the cars. No fiberglass to replace metal panels,
some engine and suspension mods allowed but all cars have to road registered and MOTd and taxed. cage and safety equipment of course.

If you need more info check out http://www.hscc.org.uk/

Always happy to help if you need any more info.

Did Spa three weeks ago, Silverstone finals last weekend and
off to Silverstone this weekend for the Birkett 6 hour relay.
Anybody fancy coming along?.

Don't dream about it, Do it!!!
Good luck

Paul
1959 356A (Now sold)
1970 911 E (sold)
1989 3.2 Carrera
1996 XJS convertible.(Sold)
1977 XJ-S Race Car (Sold)
1985 BMW 635CSi Racecar.