My Burgundy 69 912

The place to post image of your PORSCHES

Moderator: Bootsy

impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Post by impmad2000 »

Jeeze Tim ! That was a close one ! Put it down to experience I guess. Remember, Chicks dig scars !!
I do like the look of the seats. Might consider these for the Targa, one day !!
Tim
Tim Bennett
RHD Targa 2.2T EFI, Triumph ITB's, EDIS and Megasquirt.
"Old enough to know what's right and young enough not to choose it"
Timo
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Timo »

Remember, Chicks dig scars !!
Yep, been telling myself that for years, my collection is starting to get a bit silly though tbh, think they just think I'm showing off now and steer well clear :roll:
Burgundy 69 912
Audi A4 1.8T sport avant
VW T25 magnum multivan
Timo

Post by Timo »

Bloody hell Tim that was a close call, I remember picking bits of a gas canister out of a bloke's head a few year's ago when he accidently warmed it up with an acetylene torch
:shock: Jeez that sounds more gruesome than my mishap, hope he was OK.
Burgundy 69 912
Audi A4 1.8T sport avant
VW T25 magnum multivan
Rich Lambert
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Rich Lambert »

Timo, beautiful car. You've done all the right things to it. There's something about a nice Burgundy 912.
Rich
'66 911 #303872
Timo

Post by Timo »

Thanks Rich, I think so 8)
Burgundy 69 912
Audi A4 1.8T sport avant
VW T25 magnum multivan
California Imports
DDK Newbie

Post by California Imports »

mate that looks awesome
California Imports
Timo

Post by Timo »

OK quick update on progress.

Over the winter I decided it was time to get my brakes sorted out since the front discs have always been a bit warped. The danger of the warped discs suddenly became apparent when I had to do an emergency braking manouvre last summer after encountering a tractor on a back road, the car was very squirmy and pulled me quite violently right then left which didn't seem the safest! Luckily nothing was coming the other way at the time.

I had new discs and pads for the car but thought it was sensible to get the calipers done at the same time so off they went to classicarautomotive in chesire where they were stripped replated in the original style coating and then rebuilt. Classicar turned them around and had them back to me within a week which was fantastic service.

I fitted the calipers back to the car complete with new discs, pads, flexi hoses and hard lines.

The result - infinately better, braking is much more controllable now and less digital too :)
Burgundy 69 912
Audi A4 1.8T sport avant
VW T25 magnum multivan
Timo

Post by Timo »

OK, there have been a few things I've wanted to get sorted on my car for a while now and with CLM only days away what better time to do them ready for the trip across france.

First on the list was a rolling road tune up, the car has always seemed to run fine but I had replaced the Webers some time ago and had rejetted them to factory solex sizes to get me in the ball park. Although I had tried to dial in the idle mixture as best I could it still smelt a little rich and I was never really sure it was perfect so thursday afternoon I booked it into Hi Tech motorsport in Cradley Heath for them to take a look.

They got the car on the rollers and it was producing a weedy 68bhp! :shock: I couldn't believe it! But after a quick tweak of the timing and stepping down 2 sizes on the main jets I was upto 97bhp! :drunken:

Another slight tweak on the timing and I was upto 99bhp and 110 ft ibs of torque! Not bad considering it came from the factory with just 90bhp and 90ft ibs of torque! So I am pretty sure its running 1720 B&Ps but the 110ft ibs of torque makes me wonder whether there's a mild cam in there too? Mick at Hi tech seemed to think there could be as the cam kicks in quite violently at about 2200rpm and the torque line on the graph is very steep from that point until it reaches 2500. Not too sure how this compares to a factory graph? would be nice to compare to see what they look like.

After going for a drive it feels like a totally different car now, OK its still no rocket ship but it pulls in every gear really nicely now and that extra torque just makes you want to keep accelerating even when you don't really need to. 8) :drunken:

OK so 2nd job on the list was a trip down to Tuthills on friday for them to set up the suspension geometry and corner weights. After lowering my car last summer I knew the settings would be wrong, I had tried my best to mark up the old settings when I dismantled everything but you could tell from driving it that the toe in was way out as cornering hard took more effort than usual and the car wandered and felt nervous at speed.

Within about 30 seconds of arriving at Tuthills one of the guys came over to have a chat and immediatly knew it was too low at the front (which I kind of knew but I liked the way it looked too much to raise it up :)) He took it for a test drive and decided it wasn't that bad but still needed raising a little to be correct. After an all round check with their gauges they decided that although my front end had 7mm difference in height from left to right and the rear had 1mm the corner weights (which are the most important part) were spot on at :
RH front - 35
LH front - 35
RH rear - 40
LH rear - 40

The rear suspension wasn't bad either, just 1 degree out on camber! Seems my sketchy method of marking up before dismantling the rear had almost paid off here :)

The front camber was a little bit off too and the toe in at the front was way off as expected so after correcting this, raising up the front a little and correcting the rear it was all done and a quick test drive up the road confirmed that it was all feeling a lot better, cornering had returned to effortless and the car held its line at speed with very little extra effort from the driver.

So after 2 days of fettling the car has seen quite a transformation and is feeling really good to drive, the return journey home last night, via visiting relatives in the cotswolds was fantastic, and I kept finding myself taking extra long detours just so I didn't have to park her up and get out quite so soon. :) Am looking forward to CLM even more than before knowing how nice the drive should now be 8) :drunken:
Last edited by Timo on Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Burgundy 69 912
Audi A4 1.8T sport avant
VW T25 magnum multivan
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

8) 8) 8)

See you at CLM :)
Timo

Post by Timo »

You sure will fella, unfortunately even with my new found power I still won't be able to keep up with you guys as it seems you've all been getting power tweaks too :lol:
Burgundy 69 912
Audi A4 1.8T sport avant
VW T25 magnum multivan
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Not me! :) My rolling road (calibrated right foot) tells me that my power output is slowly dropping...
Timo

Post by Timo »

How so? thought the megasquirt was fully dialled in now?
Burgundy 69 912
Audi A4 1.8T sport avant
VW T25 magnum multivan
hot66

Post by hot66 »

sounds like it's really sorted now 8)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Timo wrote:How so? thought the megasquirt was fully dialled in now?
That's system in on Tim's car :) I still have good old Zeniths!
Timo

Post by Timo »

That's system in on Tim's car I still have good old Zeniths?
Gary, I've just looked back through that thread and realised you sold your kit to Tim, I must have been asleep when you sold it, I thought you had both gone for that conversion :roll:

Never mind, I'm sure the old Zeniths will be just fine, and you'll still show me a clean set of heals :lol:
sounds like it's really sorted now
Cheers James, its certainly getting there :wink:
Burgundy 69 912
Audi A4 1.8T sport avant
VW T25 magnum multivan