DDK Francorchamps Porsche Club Track Day and Ring

Pictures and write ups of past motorsport meetings.

Moderator: Bootsy

fine69
Married to the DDK

DDK Francorchamps Porsche Club Track Day and Ring

Post by fine69 »

Well we survived :shock:

Great weather, great tracks, great cars (although too many people in new Porsches who can't drive) :x

Sladey's retro-look 3.2 took it all in its slide. Ooops I meant to say stride :-) Especially a nice 360 on the ring... Mavericks!!!

Met some fellow early 911 nuts from the Netherlands. Tom in a Blue 2.2S tricked out by Duel Racing (2.7 motor etc) and Leonard in a RSR replica.

Sladey is still driving back as I type...

We'll be doing it again next year so start planning geezas 8) 8) 8)
Last edited by fine69 on Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
911 2.2 T 1969
Vespa 125 1951 'Vacanza Romana' and sidecar :-)
Gone but not forgotten
VW Split Camper 1964
fine69
Married to the DDK

Post by fine69 »

Action shots to follow :shock: :shock:
Nick
911 2.2 T 1969
Gone but not forgotten
VW Split Camper 1964
fine69
Married to the DDK

Post by fine69 »

Nick
911 2.2 T 1969
Gone but not forgotten
VW Split Camper 1964
fine69
Married to the DDK

Post by fine69 »

Nick
911 2.2 T 1969
Gone but not forgotten
VW Split Camper 1964
fine69
Married to the DDK

Post by fine69 »

Nick
911 2.2 T 1969
Gone but not forgotten
VW Split Camper 1964
fine69
Married to the DDK

Post by fine69 »

Nick
911 2.2 T 1969
Gone but not forgotten
VW Split Camper 1964
fine69
Married to the DDK

Post by fine69 »

Nick
911 2.2 T 1969
Gone but not forgotten
VW Split Camper 1964
fine69
Married to the DDK

Post by fine69 »

Nick
911 2.2 T 1969
Gone but not forgotten
VW Split Camper 1964
fine69
Married to the DDK

Post by fine69 »

I also met another ddker at spa with his better half. But sorry mate I've forgotten your name.
Good to meet Chris (impactbumpers) at the ring too.....
Nick
911 2.2 T 1969
Gone but not forgotten
VW Split Camper 1964
23e Heure
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by 23e Heure »

Excellent stuff Nick, very jealous! Bring it on - any on track shots?

Am eager to see how they have changed the Bus Stop and La Source, as well as the paddock
arrangments, do you have any photos of that work?

I'll be back again for the 6 Hours weekend, with Paul and Mark - will you be joining us?
(keeping firmer hold on wallet this time :wink: )
James
'87 R4 GTL Clan
'74 914/6 3.0 Texas GT
'73 911 2.7 RS Replica LHD
'72 911 2.4 E RHD (Sold)
Bob_Salmon
DDK forever

Post by Bob_Salmon »

Great that you enjoyed the trip and very sorry that I was unable to join you. Now next time.........................

Bob
Rust - what holds the holes together......

fine69
Married to the DDK

Post by fine69 »

Bob, we could of done with you to ride shot gun and keep the throttle happy 996s at bay. Next year 8)

James the chichane and stavelot are much wider and safer. A doddle.....
Nick
911 2.2 T 1969
Gone but not forgotten
VW Split Camper 1964
sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by sladey »

Just got back yesterday evening after two of the best car related days I've ever had.

Before I start, many thanks to Nick for organizing this, and for those of you that though about coming but didn't - it was pretty special. This is the longest post I've ever written, but I think the trip deserves it

Got the chunnel Tuesday lunchtime and drove over to Spa Francorchamps - stayed in a hotel in Francorchamps that Bernie Ecclestone block-books for the drivers during the GP - there was a heliport in the back garden, and a damp smell in my bedroom (no connection). Other than the damp smell it was nice - cars were parked off the street behind locked gates (underground secured parking also available.

Nick introduced me to 'the perfect line' a book and DVD written by an enthusiast which basically talks you through the whole track, showing the line on each corner. The books very good but even better was the video which talks you though the whole circuit at around 30 MPH. However as I'd never even been on the circuit on a playstation it was too much for me to take in.

The next morning we drove 5 minute journey to the track. If you've never been to Spa the track is in a beautiful location - set into a wooded valley - you can't really see much of the track until you're on it.

We registered and signed our lives away. There were about 40 cars there in total - I'd say the majority were fairly recent cars - loads of GT3's (996 and 997), and quite a few 964 RS's. There were only 4 pre-impact bumper cars there - me and Nick, and two guys from Holland - Leonard in his orange RSR-alike, and Tom in his blue 'special' = now with a 2.7 engine and breathed upon - adjustable front shocks and adjustable brake bias - he could really drive it too.

Some of the interesting cars - Tom's

Leonards:-

Some shots of the pit lane:-

To start with they let us have a few so called parade laps where there was a pace car leading that was meant to give the proper lines. Then they left the track and we carried on on our own. Over the whole day we had one hour-long session and I think about 4 more half-hour sessions.

The track was great, lots of climbs, falls, and interesting corners. There was quite a variety of cars on the track at any one time from our cars to more or less full-on racers. With most of the other users this wasn't a problem - they either had the necessary skill and/ or courtesy to pass us without forcing us off the road. However there were one or two notable exceptions - either 4rseholes who thought they were in a race and looking to cut you up so they could get to 'their' race line OR 4rseholes who's got a newish GT3 with full-on PASM which allowed them to barrel into any corner at any speed on any line and let the electronics take care of business.

Nick 'are you looking at my pint' Blow had a bad experience when he was committed to the line on one corner to find he was almost literally pushed out of the way. He followed him into the car park, blocked his space and had a word with him.

Most of the drivers were fine - they were inevitably a lot faster on the straights, but there wasn't much in it on the corners. It was fantastic fun, especially eau rouge and radillon.

Loved the look of this RS, but he also nearly force Nick off the track:-

This one had a 3.6 in it

My own favourite car - not a porsche but hey

We swapped details with the other two 'early' drivers there. All in all it was a fantastic day. In the evening we watched the instruction video again and I could really have done with going out onto the circuit the next day.

Heres a snippet of video of some of the more 'full on' cars

I was getting more and more nervous about the Ring - Nick casually mentioned that on his first visit they had to shut the track for 20 minutes while they removed the bodies of two bikers who had just been killed. :shock: However this was why Nick had planned for us to go on a week-day evening - with the hope that it would be quieter

The next morning we first visited the motor museum in Stavelot - nice way to spend half an hour.

We then headed down towards the hotel

Very pretty spot - right next to the Mosel river - also the room turned out to be a bit of a suite - very nice.

Later on we headed up towards the Ring - taking in some interesting roads along the way:

And finally we got there!! First we visited the petrol station down the road to fill up, and buy a 'perfect line' book and DVD about the ring, not forgetting the bonnet badge as well.

We then went to the car park, and bought our tickets - 64 euros for 4 laps, and it was due to open at 5:15pm until 7:30pm. BMW had had exclusiv use of the track all day for their bikes.

At this stage I was getting very nervous

Nick was also a bit nervous
However he was amazed at how few people there were - on previous trips he'd been force to park in the overflow car park. This hopefully pointed to it not being too crowded but I was still nervous.

Two blokes then wandered up 'I see you're in the DDK then' - one of them was from impact bumpers - Chris - he was passing through with work and thought he'd call in on the off chance. I gave Chris a passenger ride for the first two laps, and he kindly video'd the laps (which you're no longer allowed to do) - as soon as I get the videos I'll link to them from this thread. Updated:- Videos here now:-

This is some of my first lap - a bit tentative - starting from the Karoussel and me being (vocally) surprised at the drop into the curve

This is some of the second lap - starting to enjoy it a bit more now

OK then, driving the ring.... Well I'd done well over a hundred laps on GT4 on the play station - this was an enormous help. I knew the track pretty well from the start up to the karoussel(?) - from there on I had a pretty good idea what happened and clear memories of certain corner sequences.

Seeing it in real life was amazing. I'd heard before that the game can't prepare you for the drops and rises - this is sooooo true. There are corners in the game that look quite dull, but in real life contain dips and undulations that transformed them.

The first lap was over before I knew it, and made me realize how much of the track I actually did know - as well as knowing which way the corners went it helped knowing which bits I couldn't mess around on - e.g. braking before the rise on two early straight because once you go over the top the car will be so light you'll have no braking ( a lesson learned safely in my living room piloting an 800bhp beast :shock: )

On the second lap I started to push it a bit more, an started to get the feeling that the car was drifting around the corners slightly - on the throttle and just moving a bit - a fantastic feeling.

We then came in for a rest - Chris bought us both a cup of coffee. I'd bought some red bull earlier on but never drank it - I was so pumped with adrenalin.

Chris and his mate then went off, and we went out for our second two laps. On the first, I let a bike go off but when I tried to let his mate go past he didn't take the opportunity, so I decided to just go for it. I was doing well, holding him off, until I came towards a hairpin I knew I had to brake for - however I was going too fast and also turning. Instead of straightening the car first and then braking, I just braked - next thing I was in a full spin and the windscreen wipers were on. I did a full 360, and checked for the bike straight away - he was fine and then went past me. I started up and carried on straight away, giggling my head off.

I was giggling because by the time I realized I was spinning I also realized I wasn't going to hit anything.

When I set off again I initially became nervous however and braked too much, unsettling the car - I had to really calm myself down and concentrate on setting the car up for the corners again and just enjoying it - it came back quite quickly I'd stopped panicking and the rest of the lap went well. My final lap was even better - it really started to flow, and I loved every minute of it.

I was still relieved to finish in one piece though.

When I pulled into the car park I was surprised to see Nick already there. He's had a problem with his bonnet - it kept popping up onto the safety catch which made him a bit nervous on it - so he'd had to come in after one lap.

At that point they announced the track had been closed because there'd been an accident. Nick said if they opened it again I could have his last ticket and do one more lap.

I was nervous still, but took it. For a while it didn't look like they'd open it again before closing time but eventually the siren came on the say the circuit was open, and off I went.

Again I tried to let all the fast boys go off first. I had a fantastic lap and really enjoyed it once more.

Just to give you an idea of the variety of traffic, I was passed by a Citroen Picasso driven by someone who knew what they were doing, also passed by a dodge viper convertible which looked pretty evil. I passed some Japanese tourists in a Nissan Micra pootling along at about 50kph. On the first lap a 964 spun two cars in ffront of Nick - this wouldn't have been a problem but the japanese tourists following it immediately stopped and put on their hazards!!!!!

The car park was about 60-70% Brits - we tried to stay well clear of anyone that was talking about lap times. There were a LOT of porsches there- mainly new, also plenty of beemers, and then a real mix. Loads of bikers there as well.

We finished the day off with a fantastic drive down deserted country roads, taking in a mini stelvio, and a lovely fast riverside road, ending up at the hotel with a great meal.

The next day I drove back - 500 miles in total - journey was great until I got to the UK - too many car and M25 on a Friday afternoon is no joke.

All in all a totally fantastic few days - I thoroughly recommend it to all of you - fantastic fun, and many thanks to Nick for taking the time to sort it all out

Mark
Last edited by sladey on Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
23e Heure
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by 23e Heure »

Great reports Nick and Mark - an entertaining read, and some nice shots.
I bet you'll take a good few days to come down from the buzz of it all - it's no surprise you didn't need that redbull :drunken:

Driving over to mainland Europe, taking in some classic circuits, and putting in some spirited driving...
There is no other car more suited to that kind of trip than an early 911 (or a backdated one :wink: )
Last edited by 23e Heure on Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
James
'87 R4 GTL Clan
'74 914/6 3.0 Texas GT
'73 911 2.7 RS Replica LHD
'72 911 2.4 E RHD (Sold)
Derek
DDK rules my life!

Post by Derek »

Mark

Thanks for sharing your story sounds like a real buzz :)
1970 911 3.6T