Knocking from front wheel

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

MartinP
DDK forever

Knocking from front wheel

Post by MartinP »

This one is driving me mad, so if anyone can offer some advice I would be extremely grateful :evil:

When I got my '67 912, it drove fine at speed, apart from the fact that the tyres were worn to illegal levels. To get it through the MoT, I had the front calipers rebuilt, put new brake pads in (one had seized and worn a pad right down to the metal), and fitted new Vredestein Classic tyres.

Since then, the first time that you get the car up to over 70mph on a journey, after a couple of miles there will be a gentle knocking which seems to be coming from the nearside front wheel.

It slowly gets worse and worse and increases with the revolutions of the wheel. If you slow down to under 50mph, then it will ease off until gone. The odd thing is that 95% of the time you can then take it back up to 70mph for the next couple of hours if you're on a long journey and it will never happen again!

In case it was a tyre out of balance, I swapped the wheels over from front to back, but it's still there. I also trimmed a bit of 'flappy' rubber that was left from the moulding process off of the tyre but that didn't help.

However, there is one other thing that I haven't investigated. When the seized caliper wore the pad down to the metal, it scored the brake disc. This has now resulted in the new pad wearing, but with a ridge through the middle where it meets the indent in the disc and doesn't wear as much.

Is there any possibility that this could be causing some kind of knocking when it first gets up to speed and starts to get really warm, but then easing off and/or braking then causes the pad to seat itself better?

Any thoughts? Please?! :(
ex-Porsche 912 owner, currently making do with a 1971 Volkswagen Beetle
1964 Series IIA Land-Rover
http://www.thatchamclassic.co.uk
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

I'd be thinking you've just identified it yourself :)

Other than that it maybe the front wheel bearing needs nipping up.
MartinP
DDK forever

Post by MartinP »

Looks like a new pair of front discs and more brake pads are needed then. is it worth trying a second hand disc first do you reckon?
Barry

Post by Barry »

Does the sound dissappear (or at least, change) when you dab the brakes?

Might give a clue.
DDK Member1243 07741 273865. Now booking Spring '24. Home of the RY Austin 7 Trophy's
MartinP
DDK forever

Post by MartinP »

Not really, no. When the knocking has built to the extent that it's so bad you think you should be pulling over, putting your foot on the brake to slow can sometimes make the knocking even more noticeable from a feeling point of view, but certainly the sound doesn't change.
Nige

Post by Nige »

warped disks
front wheel bearings
strut mounts/lower ball joint
MartinP
DDK forever

Post by MartinP »

couldn't have anything to do with the front dampers being replaced at the same time could it?
Barry

Post by Barry »

I suspect that if the sound doesn't change upon braking, that probably rules out (or at least reduces the odds) of it being bearing, pads or disks.

Certainly got to be worth double checking those dampers, top mounts and bottom ball are all in and correct: obviously you'll need the weight off of the car to check this.
DDK Member1243 07741 273865. Now booking Spring '24. Home of the RY Austin 7 Trophy's
hot66

Post by hot66 »

this used to happen to my subaru .. the problem was a siezed front calliper. After a bit of driving & when on a motorway at about 70mph I would get a wobbling / knocking coming thru the steering wheel, so bad that I had to stop the car. I'd then start off again & the problem was gone.

Did you replace the brake flexis when you replaced the callipers? If the flexis are damaged internally they might be letting fluid through but not back out again

Have you checked the temp of the front wheels to 100% confirm the brakes are still not sticking?

What kind of noise is the knocking eg is it a deep thudding noise coming thru the body or is it more of a metallic tapping?
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
MartinP
DDK forever

Post by MartinP »

Didn't replace any of the hoses, but did check that everything was moving in and out as normal. Temperature seems fine although haven't actually stopped the car immediately after the knocking and checked the wheel temp. Knocking is a dull thump - it's almost as if I have a big bolt stuck in the tyre!
Gilbert '71 T
I luv DDK!

Post by Gilbert '71 T »

As Barry says, have a quick check of the lower ball joints Martin.

Jack the front of the car up so the wheels are about 1.5" off the ground, then put a pry bar underneath the tyre and lever the wheel up slightly, whilst doing that try to eyeball the lower balljoint and see if there's any noticable play.

The uneven pad/disc could possibly cause a slight binding if the pad is rubbing against the ridge, but I wouldnt expect it would cause a knock... but then you never know with these cars, they can be very sensitive to anything that is out of sorts braking & suspension wise.

good luck with it, I know it can be difficult trying to find these things statically
Darren
71 911T with C3 motor