1973 2.4S

The place to post image of your PORSCHES

Moderator: Bootsy

58A - 71E
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by 58A - 71E »

More, you want more :roll: you'll be taking it apart and turning it into a 2.7 at this rate :lol:
Great result at Bobs James, and I can confirm this is a superb S that is used just as it should be, on cam and screaming its way around the rev range 8) (depending upon the passenger of course :wink: )
James

'58 356A 1600n
'71 911E 2,2

hot66

Post by hot66 »

:lol:

I've been wanting to rebuild my motor for years .... but I've been putting it off .... I think most DDK'ers I know have heard me saying my engine needed doing .... but because it has always run really nice & produced good power ( 200 bhp on Bob's rollers time after time ) it's never been deemed as urgent .

Anyway, minor breakdown on the way back from CLM ( rocker shaft walked ) got me in the mindset again for a rebuild ... then after my recent trip to Spa it started weeping oil from the rocker shafts again so I decided to drop the car with Mike Bainbridge & asked him to give the motor an overhaul :) :roll:

As usual with these things , what was going to be a quick overhaul isn't :(

A legacy of a previous ham-fisted Italian mechanic has led to a chewed aluminium intergear .... which looks like bits have been floating around the oil resulting in every journal on my crank being scored :evil:

Barrels & Pistons worn really bad too ( Mike hasn't seen such wear for a long time) + a multitude of other worn bits & pieces :roll:

At this point I was tempted to put the engine on the shelf & build up a hot 2.7RS motor ........ but as I love the S characteristics Mike Bainbridge is rebuilding me a very strong 2.4S motor that will be perfect for european touring & a screemer at the topend ( this is what I love ;) )

Currently collecting parts from around the world & having the case machined by Nick Fulljames , ready for Mike to start the build as soon as everything lands back :)

Whilst this is going on I'm stripping all the suspension front & rear and giving it another overhaul.

Will it be ready for Germany in Sept though ?? ;)
Last edited by hot66 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
964RS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 964RS »

Excellent. 8)

Will this mean everyone following you will not get poisoned from your fumes in future :lol: :lol: :wink:
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

hot66

Post by hot66 »

964RS wrote:Excellent. 8)

Will this mean everyone following you will not get poisoned from your fumes in future :lol: :lol: :wink:
hopefully ;) No promises though :lol:
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Nige

Post by Nige »

Jason are you questioning James' personal hygiene?
hot66

Post by hot66 »

update of sorts ...

Sourced a 'new' crank from Andy ( lightweight911) along with a few other various bits & pieces.

My original engine cases have been down to Nick Fulljames @ Redtech to get line honed, shuffle pinned, time sert'd etc & should hopefully be back up in Kendal this weekend :)

All my parts from the USA have finally landed here . Just waiting for my new cams to arrive :)

Mike Bainbridge has been busy sorting my cylinder heads out & getting the crank, flywheel etc balanced. Now looking forward to watching Mike start the process of building it into a nice strong reliable motor 8)

Mike rebuilt the gearbox a few years ago too, so it will be nice to have a fresh engine to go with it :)

I've got the car back at my place & have stripped all the brakes & suspension off it. Currently replacing the ball joints, tie rods, top mount bushes etc + the old Boge struts with bilstein inserts have come off & I've fitted some modified & re valved Bilstein struts .

The rear end is stripped ready & waiting for some later aluminium rear trailing arms along with new bushes, bearings etc.

Already have elephant racing bushes fitted :) Brakes are currently 3.2 discs & calipers with stock 2.4S on the rear.

Another 380mm steering wheel fitted too , this time double wrapped :)

4 weeks to the Euro trip :shock:
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Just a little to keep you busy then! I'm always fascinated how 'wrecked' engines generate so much power and run quite so well:)

Good luck getting everything sorted in time James :)
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Gary71 wrote:Just a little to keep you busy then! I'm always fascinated how 'wrecked' engines generate so much power and run quite so well:)

Good luck getting everything sorted in time James :)
Motor is provisionally booked to go on Neil Bainbridge's Dyno early September :shock: The way things are looking it's going to be very tight to get it all to come together in time for Germany .. but we'll try . Lots of work & lots of transporting of engines / cars around the country + it's my busiest time of the year for work !

Suspension build - Yorkshire

Engine build - kendal

Engine dyno - Oxfordshire

Engine install - Kendal

Suspension set up - Yorkshire

Ferry - Hull

:shock:
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

ims101
I luv DDK!

Post by ims101 »

James,
Good luck with it all coming together and see you on the ferry :wink:
Ian
356 Replica with 911sc
Rita the Queen of Speed!
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

hot66 wrote:... 4 weeks to the Euro trip :shock:
- so that gives you 3 weeks to run the engine in & make all the other adjustments prior to the trip !! :lol:

Nothing like a 'deadline' to focus efforts/long-term plans (says he whose 'deadline' was CLM 2010) ...
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
hot66

Re: 1973 2.4S

Post by hot66 »

About time I updated things ;)

I never did make the Sept 2011 deadline due to a number of different things. Anyway, after a slight change in spec & long waits for parts to arrive my engine was finally completed & back in the car only a few days prior to Classic LeMans 2012 !

The aim was to rebuild the 2.4S engine as a strong reliable unit that was happy on european tours with the wife as it was blasting around the roads of North Yorkshire :)

Mike Bainbridge built the engine & he has been a star. He's had to put up with me on the phone almost daily with my usual ideas & questions :roll: :lol: He has built a fabulous motor incorporating some mods for reliability & some for performance. 8)

Anyway, here is a run down of the specs / parts etc . If not mentioned assume all parts blueprinted / etc & new bearings / bushings fitted though out. I'e also probo forgotten quite a few things

Spec

2.4S High Compression

Engine Build : Mike Bainbridge , MB Porsche Engineering
Engine Case Machine Work : Nik Fulljames RedTek
Pistons & Cylinders : Neil Bainbridge
Engine Dyno work : Neil Bainbridge

Case : Original Matching Numbers 7R case

Line Honed
Shuffle Pinned
Refaced barrel decks
Time sert head studs
Oil Bypass Mod
SC Oil Pump

Crank :

Balanced
New Aluminium Inter gear
Lightened Flywheel

Rods :

Stock Rods
ARP rod bolts

Pistons:

Custom Neil Bainbridge BS Motorsport Hi Comp 2.4S Pistons ( CR set @ 10.3:1)

Cylinders:

Original Birals, honed by BS Motorsport

Heads:

Stock S heads rebuilt with new valve guides
Valves back cut
EBS Racing HD Valve Springs
EBS Racing Titanium Retainers
Modified for twin plug
Turbo Rocker Covers

Cams:
Kent Cams ground from blanks GE40 ( Stock S )

Stock Rockers
Turbo-craft Rocker-Lockers

New Alloy inter gear,
New endless timing chains
New Chain ramps
Rebuilt chain tensioners
Modified Idler Arms

New S Shroud
RSR Plug wire holders

SSI’s modified for twin Lambdas

Stainless ‘stock’ Back box

Clewett Crank fire twin plug ignition

Daytona Sensors AFR dual digital readout & data logger
Daytona Sensors AFR warning system & shift light

Rebuilt and flowed MFI pump by MFIwerks to high comp 2.4S spec.

Injectors pressure tested & flowed

MFI Stacks & throttle bodies rebuild in 2010

8)

Once Mike had competed the engine we got it shipped down to Neil Bainbridges for some dyno time. The advantage of Neils engine dyno is it can be used to 'run in' the motor and check all is OK. Neil ran the motor for the 5 hours or so on the running in program ( varies load & revs constantly through this period) . Once this was complete Neil did the power runs , altering ignition & fuelling between runs until an optimum point was reached to achieve the best power & torque safely 8)

After all the time & effort I am really pleased with the end results.

Power : 215.7 bhp @ 7100 rpm ( stock 190)
Torque : 170.6 ft-lb ( 231.3 Nm) @ 5460 rpm ( stock 132)

In addition to the above, I had the gearbox rebuilt by Mike Bainbridge a few years ago so the drive train is now fully sorted 8)

Additionally I have gone through the suspension again, fitting RSR Bilstein struts with custom valved inserts, Turbo tie rods, alloy rear arms etc to complement the elephant racing bushes all round. As mentioned earlier in this thread , the car is also running 3.2 brakes .

So ...... we got the car up & running only a few days before Classic LeMans 2012. I managed to get about 100 miles on the car before setting off :? Had a few niggles on the trip , one of which required a bit of adjustment to the throttle linkages ( luckily I'm running a twin digital AFR data logger .. or paranoia box as it is now known ;) ... which meant we could keep an eye on things ) . The other niggle was the RSR front struts required a pair of thin wheel spacers ( that I'd brought along just in case) to be fitted to prevent the wheel fowling the wishbones on lock & I needed to lift the front end by 1/2 inch or so as the car was running far too low with a full tank of fuel & 2 fat lads sat in the car ;) :lol:

After almost 2000 miles & a little bit of adjustment & the motor is running better & better. It is a lot smoother than the previous engine & is way more flexible in terms of drivability , yet it still has the 'S' characteristic of coming on cam that I wanted to keep. Once on cam , it flies.

Really really pleased with this motor :) Now just need to get some miles on the car !

I'll get some photos up once photobucket starts behaving itself again :roll:
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

IanMcLeod
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanMcLeod »

James what a fantastic spec that is for your engine! Really useful to see a full spec of the engine too to see how you brought it all together.

Ian.
A sponge and a rusty spanner

2.4E RHD, 2.4E RHD, 993 Carrera RHD
Mick Cliff
I need to get out more!

Post by Mick Cliff »

This does not bode well for the lead car on Northern runs :shock:
It was always a challenge to keep up with James with the engine in its' previous iteration :roll:
Merc B Class diesel
Porsche-less
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

:cheers:

What is the new compression ratio?
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Gary71 wrote::cheers:

What is the new compression ratio?
knew I'd forgotten to put in some information :roll:

Compression Ratio is 10.3 : 1

Oil used is Valvoline VR1 20W/50
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster