180 mm flywheel tech. question!

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

Rustbucket
DDK forever

180 mm flywheel tech. question!

Post by Rustbucket »

HI,
Finally got myself a 180mm flywheel for my 912 into 356 engine................. :wink:
so.......

1:
there are two stamped dots on the to-clutch side on the outer flat face. Would this be a balancing stamp, and if so, what would it align with?
2:
There is a '1' stamped inside the smaller middle section, with the ring of little holes in. What does this refer too?
3:
The seller advised to reskim the inner face (?). I've had a look and there is some slight wear to the inner face, on the outer circumference. Its about 8 to 9 mm 'wide' around, and less than .5 mm 'deep' at the valley bottom. Its not scored/tramlined, just smooth wear. you cant see it as such.
What would this mean in terms of useage for me? Should I bother doing it (as it wont fit in the jaws of four different lathes i have here!).

The flywheel looks to have been finely sandblasted or, I recon, actually chemically cleaned, it almost looks new. all the holes look ok, no scuffs, threads all ok etc..........

Cheers!
Dan
Contact me if you have any 356b coupe parts !!!!
rocket280
DDK above all

Post by rocket280 »

hi dan
There are no alighning marks as the flywheel will only fit on in one position. the eight dowels on the crank are not positioned evenly and you will notice that one is a little offset. you should really have it balanced along with the crank but I guess your not going to do that. If it is out of balance with the crank it will wear the main bearings a bit quicker but I know you don't want to strip the engine. if you do machine the driven plate surface you should also machine the pressure plate surface by the same amount. I proberbly wouldn't bother by the sounds of it. Also by taking material off of it you could be altering the balance even more.
Rustbucket
DDK forever

Post by Rustbucket »

Cheers dude..........
liking the new photo- Is that your engine?
Moving down near Jamies..............
Contact me if you have any 356b coupe parts !!!!
butzsi
DDK rules my life!

180mm flywheel

Post by butzsi »

Don't forget that when you machine a flywheel you also lighten it, and can choose to have extensive lightening done by maching the rear face of the flywheel while it is still in the chuck. No downside if done within limits, but you will love the increased throttle liveliness.

Chris