Hey, I'm a Newbie - help me do some 'man maths'...

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

Si
DDK Newbie

Post by Si »

Wow, loads of replies - thanks! It's really helpful to hear other peoples' experiences.

I'm definitely approaching this from the side of doing a full restoration, rather than buying a driver and polishing it day and night. At least that way you know what's likely to break first!

I just realised that this castle hedingham place is only 30 miles away, so i'm going to try make an appearance. I don't have a car at the moment, so i'll crack out the road bike - please don't run me over :wink:

cheers
Hendrik Moulds
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Hendrik Moulds »

I take back what I said earlier about saving up and buying the best car you can.
Because I think I've just bought another project. Am still a bit dazed about it though. :drunken:
(Formally 356ist)
Membership #: 356!
1953 Cabriolet
1959 Coupe (Sold)
1961 Notchback
1961 Sunroof Coupe (Sold)
1962 Coupe (Gone, but not forgotten!)
ALL RHD OF COURSE!
hot66

Post by hot66 »

356ist wrote:I take back what I said earlier about saving up and buying the best car you can.
Because I think I've just bought another project. Am still a bit dazed about it though. :drunken:
sounds interesting :) Any more details ?
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Hendrik Moulds
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Hendrik Moulds »

Not yet as a deal is being worked out. I am waiting to find out exactly how complete the project is and then of course there is the cost..........
(Formally 356ist)
Membership #: 356!
1953 Cabriolet
1959 Coupe (Sold)
1961 Notchback
1961 Sunroof Coupe (Sold)
1962 Coupe (Gone, but not forgotten!)
ALL RHD OF COURSE!
BD55
Married to the DDK

Post by BD55 »

Si,
I bought a 356 C from the USA (356 registry member) last year for 4k it is a running driving car that needs a new floor, longitudinals etc add to this the total shipping cost of £1400, all the repair panels came with the car. I've estimated around £2k to bring the mechanicals up to scratch.
I will do all the repair work myself and all the mechanical work myself learning along the way.
It will never be a concours car and i dont want it to be i have another project that is going that way.
My advise is to buy a project car at the right price where the work that is needed is obvious and not hiding under some fresh paint. I had about 10 replies to my wanted ad on the 356 registrytalklist all sub $10,000 cars but this was Jan 06 not sure if the prices have moved a lot.
Good luck with whatever you go for.
Simon
rocket280
DDK above all

Post by rocket280 »

Hi Si
I guess by reading between the lines of all these replies you must have gathered rust is a major issue with these cars. even with so called california cars so be prepared. When I bought mine I was also looking for a project because for me its more about the journey than the end result. so I bought one which I knew was rusty but complete . I was keen on getting one which hadn't had endless amounts of quick fix rust repairs. Because speaking from a little experience its harder to undo some one elses bad work than start from scratch. It would be safe to assume that just about all 356s in this country have had major rust repairs. Most of the repair panels are availible and mine needed just about all of them. About £2300 in total just in sheet metal. The engine biuld was a bit of a shock if your used to building vw engines as I was. I don't really keep a count but I reckon about £2500 just in parts and machining. I guess by the time I'm done I will be into the car for about £12000 without the interior. Thats based on me doing all the work myself. best of luck finding the right car for you